Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Business Questions and Advice
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2019, 09:18 AM   #11
catcon

Default Re: Hollywood = McDonalds

Well, it's time for another one of my 'poverty' jokes: "Quarter Pounder? You can afford that?!" Me? It was their regular hamburgers. I remember when they were 25 cents.

One time, after a severe ice skate-a-thon (I was about 17), the gang and I stopped at at Mickey D's, and I was a bottomless pit: 7 of them thar hamburgers, a milkshake, and a coke. Arrgh! (I think of that every time I see that finale in Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle, where they buy about 20 mini-burgers each).

So, the analogy? I don't mind movie length (or bulk), if it's entertaining. Despite being a fan of 'dark alternative', I couldn't get through the first half-hour of Dogville (3 hrs), but I have watched Emmerich's silly 2012 (2:40) about 5 times.
catcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 11:33 AM   #12
GucciGhostXXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffLowell View Post
If you’re trying to break in, whether or not the script is producible shouldn’t be your top concern. Very few projects start as original specs. You’re auditioning to get a job. If the story you choose to tell takes more pages to be great, then take the pages.

I’ll try to use the analogy: you’re not selling to consumers, you’re auditioning to create new menu items.
True.

So, if you want it to be on the menu, it's gotta fit their criteria. "Can we make it cheap and fast and a lotta people will buy it?"

Maybe Taco Bell would be a more fitting analogy. "Bruh, turn this taco on it's ear and we'll give you a job, but make it cheap. And don't go outside the box. We ain't Jack" Uhhh... How 'bout a shitty taco wrapped in shitty burrito?" "PERFECT! YOU HIRED,,, FOO!"
GucciGhostXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 01:06 PM   #13
Friday

Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
True.

So, if you want it to be on the menu, it's gotta fit their criteria. "Can we make it cheap and fast and a lotta people will buy it?"

Maybe Taco Bell would be a more fitting analogy. "Bruh, turn this taco on it's ear and we'll give you a job, but make it cheap. And don't go outside the box. We ain't Jack" Uhhh... How 'bout a shitty taco wrapped in shitty burrito?" "PERFECT! YOU HIRED,,, FOO!"

Can you make it fusion? And do you have it in a Vegan option?
Friday is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 01:16 PM   #14
GucciGhostXXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday View Post
Can you make it fusion? And do you have it in a Vegan option?
And gluten free! ;-)
GucciGhostXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 02:11 PM   #15
DangoForth

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerOThornhill View Post
When is the McRib coming back? I ask when is the RomCom coming back...it's been off the menu for years. The public just isn't buying much RomCom...It's been so long since there was a year with memorable RomCom that the younger generation doesn't even know what it is...Like the McDLT and the McHula Burger.
YESTERDAY has pulled in over $125 million off a $26 million budget. Yeah, there's also marketing $$. Yeah, it was a Richard Curtis script, not your average schlub.. But still, it outperformed.
Seeing more prodcos looking for romcoms. I think the cycle is sbout to start back up.
DangoForth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 02:59 AM   #16
Friday

I would probably consider Yesterday more of a Beatles appreciation film. Rom Coms are always supposed to come back...but it never quite does. Crazy Rich Asians was probably the closest. Love Actually, the Wedding Crashers and My Best Friends Wedding are probably the last great romantic comedies I can remember. The rest were forgettable.
Old 08-20-2019, 12:20 PM   #17
figment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday View Post
Rom Coms are always supposed to come back...but it never quite does. Crazy Rich Asians was probably the closest. Love Actually, the Wedding Crashers and My Best Friends Wedding are probably the last great romantic comedies I can remember. The rest were forgettable.
The upcoming Last Christmas, written by Emma Thompson will make some $$ I'm sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9CEIcmWmtA
figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 02:34 PM   #18
Friday

Quote:
Originally Posted by figment View Post
The upcoming Last Christmas, written by Emma Thompson will make some $$ I'm sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9CEIcmWmtA

I really liked the trailer when I saw it in a theater yesterday, even though I was still half way rushing to my seat. Also, because I love that George Michael song. I like rom coms where the heroine is in a hot mess, then has to find their way.
Old 08-20-2019, 02:36 PM   #19
Friday

I've noticed that most of the major summer tent poles have been big IPs, reboots, comic book movies, sequels... Not a lot of original movies. What happens to the writers these days that like to write spec features? Those major IPs and comic book movies have A list writers. Not a lot of room for original writer trying to break into that circle.
Old 08-20-2019, 06:39 PM   #20
DDoc
User

^True. Keeping with this analogy, I have to wonder what will happen when people get so bored with McDonalds that McDonalds starts to lose serious profit. I guess there aren't any major competitors, like a Taco Bell or In-N-Out or whatever, but maybe a few will spring up outside of Hollywood to take advantage of the situation (or the ones that already exist will grow in influence). Might McDonalds take more risks and try altering their menu? I think they will if the Big Macs and Quarter pounders stop selling.

On that note I (and probably many others) have a feeling the MCU is going to crap out hard now that we've passed Endgame.

Last edited by DDoc : 08-20-2019 at 07:53 PM.
DDoc is offline   Reply With Quote