Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > About the Craft > Screenwriting
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2007, 11:06 AM   #11
roscoegino

Default Re: Love interests

The Love Interest can easily be one of the most boring characters to write. S/he's never expected to be as gung ho or as funny as The Sidekick. S/he has to have some quirk, some out of the ordinary philosophy or skill to make it all worth it.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:46 AM   #12
English Dave

War of the Roses ? think again.
Wag The Dog? good call and also MASH.

But apart from those?
English Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 11:50 AM   #13
TwoBrad Bradley

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World.

But why are you limiting this to comedy?
Old 10-22-2007, 12:13 PM   #14
English Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoBrad Bradley View Post
It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World.

Okay apart from Mash and It's a Mad Mad Mad World, what have the Romans ever done for us?
English Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 12:17 PM   #15
Bellabell

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoBrad Bradley View Post

Because this thread is all about me and my project is a comedy. Me, me, me. Stay focused.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:48 PM   #16
mrWr0ng
User

This isn't a comedy, but the feature animation script I finished didn't have a love interest and that was the #1 thing people commented on. It's tough to have ANY script, regardless of genre, without a love interest. Love is like the #1 human emotion of all time, it's almost impossible to connect to a movie if there isn't a love interest. That said, I still didn't write one in for my own personal reasons and it placed in its first cometition, so it's possible
mrWr0ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 03:39 PM   #17
WritersBlock2010

One of the reasons the suits always want a love interest is because they want the whole package -- That is, 100% of the audience, male AND female, and not just 50%. It's pure mathematics and has nothing to do with artistry.

Your script might be geared toward more females... Since the main character is a female... So you have to figure out how to put male asses in the seats too... Unless you want your heroine to run around in a bikini for 90% of the flick.

Should you just write a love interest for the sake of it?

No. But you should at least look at what is driving your script and you might realize a love interest will benefit it in more ways than just one:

For example, if there was never any love for the heroine in her life, and the heroine is trying to pull off a lie that is also might not be for love...

How sympathetic do you think she is going to be received? Even if this is a comedy.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:34 PM   #18
Bellabell

Quote:
Originally Posted by WritersBlock2010 View Post

... you should at least look at what is driving your script and you might realize a love interest will benefit it in more ways than just one:
I think you may be right on this one. I'm trying to keep this one simple since I'm so good at complicating things.

Coolrunnings,

Here's my logline:

A dimwitted bride-to-be is set to marry a wealthy tycoon, but when the groom dies hours before the wedding, she must fool their loved ones in order to pull off the wedding and ensure her control of the will.

The protag works as the tycoon's nurse.

The antag is the tycoon's lawyer and his children. The children think she's just a golddigger.

The twist is the lawyer has been stealing money and manipulated the man into giving her control of the estate, unless he marries and gives control to his wife.

We discover the protag married him in order to save the estate and ensure the money was given to the rightful owners (children) and save the jobs of all her friends that were employed at his estate.

Yes, perhaps a love interest would add jeapardy as Mr. English Dave said. It would make her seem guilty of being a golddigger.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:34 PM   #19
Pandoraisme
User

Bellabell,

Took a quick pass at the logline, hope you don't mind.

A dimwitted nurse set to marry a tycoon to protect his estate from his ruthless lawyer and greedy children must fake the wedding when he drops dead on their wedding day.

I'm not sure when she knows the twist, so I may have taken some liberties that don't fit your story but I think it's important to work the antagonists in to make her sound a little more sympathetic.

IMHO, your logline is screaming "goldigger" as written. But that may just be me.

Does the groom play himself (Weekend At Bernies) or is there a stand-in? If there's a stand-in, and you feel inclined, maybe you could add a little heat with the stand in.
Pandoraisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 09:44 PM   #20
Laura Reyna

There probably will be pressure to include a love interest if you take it to a studio or prodco.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of one comedy w/ a female lead that did not have some form of love interest.

It's rare even to have a non-Rom Com straight comedy w/ a female lead. They don't make straight comedies w/ female leads that often. The Devil Wears Prada is the biggest recent one... and that had a love interest.

Good luck, Bellabell. Idea sounds good.

"Trust your stuff." -- Dave Righetti, Pitching Coach

( Formerly "stvnlra" )
Laura Reyna is offline   Reply With Quote