Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2010, 07:14 PM   #1
Andrew B
New User

Default When a Producer says "YES", what's next?

Hello fellow writers

I'm hoping to get a bit of advice if anyone has been through this. I queried a very well known production company for my latest script. On their website they said those all too familar words "no unsolicited submissions/materials". But I did it anyway and sent through a pitch email to the CEO and had a response back within twenty minutes.

He said my logline and query letter intrigued him and he wanted to see my script as soon as possible. But he also said "please submit via your agent or lawyer".

Problem is, I never hear back from agents and I've heard entertainment lawyers are expensive. Without using names of this company, if I was to mention to agents/managers that the CEO of this company wants to read it, does this help or possibly increase your chances of scoring representation via an agent/manager? Or should I just open my wallet and go through a lawyer? I have to be honest in saying this but producers seem to be much more easy to approach and deal with rather than agents/managers.

Any advice would be great, I could have a great opportunity here and I need to make the most of it.

Cheers
Andrew B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 07:40 PM   #2
Gillyflower Cooms

Default Re: When a Producer says "YES", what's next?

Getting at producers isn't really as easy as you think since he didn't say yes. Lockhart covered this kind of question in the online class yesterday...He said if the guy really wants to read your script he'll read it...like send you a release form. He's just giving you the run around cuz he knows how hard it is to get an agent. No agent will care or be interested in helping you out. When the producer throws down a contract that's when the agent'll pay attention.
Gillyflower Cooms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 08:21 PM   #3
snwrist

Tell him you're in between agents, but will happily send the script with a release form.
snwrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 09:10 PM   #4
mtoomey

Quote:
Originally Posted by snwrist View Post
Tell him you're in between agents, but will happily send the script with a release form.
I wouldn't lie to him....he may start asking questions and if you start throwing out names, not a good idea. Hollywood is a small town.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:43 PM   #5
catcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew B View Post
... and I've heard entertainment lawyers are expensive...
I came across two that would walk it in to a producer for 5%, costs only (I presume little more than printing costs). They also wanted to run the script by their own script consultant, that script consultant's costs extra, to evaluate for quality so they wouldn't be embarrassed in front of their friend, the producer.

This was a case where I couldn't get by the "won't take submissions except from lawyer or agent with whom we have an established relationship."

It's different for you -- you've already done the shopping, successfully.

So, maybe either of these lawyers might settle for a smaller percentage; you've got a hundred percentages to spare!

PM me if interested and if you don't get better/cheaper advice from elsewhere.
catcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 10:43 PM   #6
dirtbottle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew B View Post
Hello fellow writers

I'm hoping to get a bit of advice if anyone has been through this. I queried a very well known production company for my latest script. On their website they said those all too familar words "no unsolicited submissions/materials". But I did it anyway and sent through a pitch email to the CEO and had a response back within twenty minutes.

He said my logline and query letter intrigued him and he wanted to see my script as soon as possible. But he also said "please submit via your agent or lawyer".
Good for you man! And yes, producers are easier to get to. I'd say you're between management but if you're not comfortable with that or they insist on a lawyer find one for cheap. Doesn't even have to be an entertainment lawyer. Don't you have any friends or family that are Lawyers or have a close attorney friend? If worse comes to worst I know a good attorney Elsa Ramo (you can check her out on IMDB) who will submit for you for a pretty reasonable fee (I think it's like $250 maybe?) but it could be worth it. Do NOT let this opportunity get away if the script is good. Also, there's a lot of bad vibe merchants on here that are all about why it's too hard to get read. Just go with what you're doing because it's working.

Last edited by dirtbottle : 05-25-2010 at 11:24 PM.
dirtbottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 11:04 PM   #7
jcgary

Don't let anyone force you to pay them to submit the script, whether or not they're a lawyer. That's ridiculous and totally unnecessary. Real entertainment lawyers charge 5% of whatever you make on the deal they're involved in. They do NOT charge a 'submission fee.' Never ever pay anyone money to submit your script somewhere. It's a scam and they're trying to take advantage of you.

I agree with gillyflower -- this sounds like a brush-off from someone who isn't used to ignoring queries, but it's always good practice to try to follow up. You've got nothing to lose; just don't hope for much.

I like the idea of saying you're between representation right now. Say nothing more than this:

"Glad to hear you'd like to see the script. I'm between agents at the moment. I'm happy to submit with a release form. Thanks - Andrew B"

Keep all your emails short and to the point, business-like, non-effusive.

The town is small, but it ain't that small. If you don't have the stomach to stretch the truth a little bit, you won't last long.

jcgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 11:30 PM   #8
JJBones
User

Just to reiterate what Jcgary said -- DO NOT PAY SOMEONE TO SUBMIT YOUR MATERIALS!!! Do not even -- under any circumstances -- ever -- offer to or concede to reimbursing any kind of rep for postage, messenger, photocopying fees etc...

In this day and age, PDF is about as much as you need to deliver. If you want to be really generous and offer a printed copy -- that's about as much as a writer should ever be responsible for.

A real manager, agent or lawyer works purely on commission. When they take on a writer or even an individual script -- their time and the costs associated with shopping said script is their investment in the project with the hope it leads to either a sale or assignment for their client.
JJBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 12:07 AM   #9
dirtbottle

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJBones View Post
Just to reiterate what Jcgary said -- DO NOT PAY SOMEONE TO SUBMIT YOUR MATERIALS!!! Do not even -- under any circumstances -- ever -- offer to or concede to reimbursing any kind of rep for postage, messenger, photocopying fees etc...
To be clear since most of this stems from my post earlier, Elsa is totally legit. I'm saying her fee is less than the 5% commission. But you shouldn't ever have to pay anyone as it is just tell them you're between reps at the moment and be done with it.
dirtbottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 01:16 AM   #10
Mac H.

1 - "I know a good attorney Elsa Ramo (you can check her out on IMDB) who will submit for you for a pretty reasonable fee (I think it's like $250 maybe?)"

2 - "I'm saying her fee is less than the 5% commission"

Given that the ratio of scripts bought .v. scripts read is very low - the most likely result is that there won't be a sale. (Even if they love the work and ask to see something else)

So how on earth is $250 *LESS* than 5% of $0 ???

Elsa Ramo might be fine - but in almost all cases her fee will be MORE than a 5% commission rather than LESS.

Mac

Last edited by Mac H. : 05-26-2010 at 08:37 PM.
Mac H. is offline   Reply With Quote