Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Agents, Lawyers & Managers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2012, 03:45 PM   #451
michaelb

Default Re: Question for Michaelb (clients productivity)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJo View Post
Michael, do you:

1. Read more scripts during the holidays...

2. Read less scripts during the holidays....

3. Or do you say: Holiday-schmoliday, I gotta keep up with my reading no matter what! Business as usual.

I'm talking scripts by new writers/potential clients, not clients' scripts.
Usually I try and read what I want to read over the holiday break.

Meaning - The top 10 black list scripts from the black list that comes out in december. Books that I have been putting off for the year. The really cool sounding scripts in development I may have never had the time to read.

And it's also when I get caught up on a ton of films throughout the year that I may have missed (and I camp out at the theater as well).

Would I read for instance a query script over the break? Eh, probably not. Would I read some of the scripts from the black list site? Maybe, if it sounded really good. But really, the break is a time for us all to recharge, so I like to do leisurely reading and relax while getting ready for the new year.

Best,

MB
Old 11-16-2012, 04:25 PM   #452
JoJo

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelb View Post
Usually I try and read what I want to read over the holiday break.

Meaning - The top 10 black list scripts from the black list that comes out in december. Books that I have been putting off for the year. The really cool sounding scripts in development I may have never had the time to read.

And it's also when I get caught up on a ton of films throughout the year that I may have missed (and I camp out at the theater as well).

Would I read for instance a query script over the break? Eh, probably not. Would I read some of the scripts from the black list site? Maybe, if it sounded really good. But really, the break is a time for us all to recharge, so I like to do leisurely reading and relax while getting ready for the new year.

Best,

MB
I know a lot of writers are debating signing up for the BL now (like I did) or holding off until January. Seems like holding off till January would have been the smart thing to do.

Thanks for the insight into a rep's holiday mind-set.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:06 PM   #453
Australis
User

Quote:
Not sure which ones are you referring to and I don't have the time to go through 60 comments. Is there one specifically?
Yeah, good point.
Quote:
FREE TIP: Aspiring Screenwriters, any service which asks for cash to “evaluate” your talent, RUN AWAY. Includes: Contests, black lists, former execs-cum-consultants, etc.

You wanna get noticed? Keep writing. Get better.
(and aren't we told you shouldn't pay on a regular basis?)

Quote:
You’re an idiot if you think Franklin is hiring “professional script readers”. He is hiring USC students at $15 a script… So if you want a first year USC student to read your script save yourself the extra $35 and contact the school directly.
Quote:
Except that it’s not 50 dollars, it’s 75 dollars to start, and let’s be honest. If Franklin wants to cite transparency, be honest and say that the script is going to need to stay on the site for months even with a recommend in order to get hits. And whether or not it gets recommended well on its first try or second, you're going to want another 50 dollar to read to get a good review, or to get the 2 or 3 or 5 you’ll need to attract real attention. Esp. since many scripts with good reviews will still get passed on. So you’ll really be spending 150 bucks and up. Not a bad deal, but this is more about making money than helping writers. Be honest.
Now, having read the Black List over the last 2 years, I'm aware of its HUGE influence, and that it can deliver a huge lift to a writer's career. But, assuming you can get through, can it still deliver that if it's a "pay service"? Does it offer better exposure because of its higher profile? And is it only a matter of time before it's compromised?

I suppose I'm asking, in the end, is it worth the money?
Old 11-16-2012, 07:39 PM   #454
Twofingeredtypist

Congrats on signing Dan Dollar, Michael. Exciting times for him!
Old 11-16-2012, 08:03 PM   #455
michaelb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Australis View Post
Yeah, good point.

(and aren't we told you shouldn't pay on a regular basis?)

Now, having read the Black List over the last 2 years, I'm aware of its HUGE influence, and that it can deliver a huge lift to a writer's career. But, assuming you can get through, can it still deliver that if it's a "pay service"? Does it offer better exposure because of its higher profile? And is it only a matter of time before it's compromised?

I suppose I'm asking, in the end, is it worth the money?
Eh, just a bunch of haters.

The fact is that the service so far has proved to be tremendously beneficial to writers, signing with major management companies and agencies. One signed at CAA today.

It has brought really good material to the attention of Hollywood at a much quicker pace. I for one am a fan.

Best,

MB
Old 11-16-2012, 09:55 PM   #456
ATB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twofingeredtypist View Post
Congrats on signing Dan Dollar, Michael
That is the single most awesomest screenwriter name in the history of screenwriter names. Congrats, Botti!

ATB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:58 PM   #457
Australis
User

Quote:
Eh, just a bunch of haters.

The fact is that the service so far has proved to be tremendously beneficial to writers, signing with major management companies and agencies. One signed at CAA today.

It has brought really good material to the attention of Hollywood at a much quicker pace. I for one am a fan.

Best,

MB
Thanks, Michael, I really appreciate your time. And yes, I'll definitely give it a shot.
Old 11-17-2012, 03:42 PM   #458
Patrick Sweeney

Congrats on signing Dan Dollar, I've read some of his pages and gotten notes from him over on Feedback Friday. He's a good guy, and really dedicated to his craft. Quick question, so just how long is the 'traditional' holiday break for Hollywood? Thanks.
Old 11-17-2012, 03:51 PM   #459
michaelb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Sweeney View Post
Congrats on signing Dan Dollar, I've read some of his pages and gotten notes from him over on Feedback Friday. He's a good guy, and really dedicated to his craft. Quick question, so just how long is the 'traditional' holiday break for Hollywood? Thanks.
Thx.

Most of the town is closed December 21st through January 6th, coming back on the 7th. But quite a few people will start leaving from the 14th onward, so that last week will be very slow.

Best,

Michael
Old 11-17-2012, 08:58 PM   #460
Patrick Sweeney

Quote:
Most of the town is closed December 21st through January 6th, coming back on the 7th. But quite a few people will start leaving from the 14th onward, so that last week will be very slow.
Cool, thank you.