Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Loading

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Agents, Lawyers & Managers
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2013, 07:54 AM   #551
Colin Holmes
Regular
 
Colin Holmes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 271
Default Re: Question for Michaelb (clients productivity)

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelb View Post
I do. Several. It's a bit of a pain in the a$$. It's much more efficient living in LA. It's almost impossible to fit all the meetings after going out with a script in to even a two week period. Plus, when you are up for assignments, people want to meet with you.

No. That's far too limiting. If you sell a script, and then have 10 assignments thrown your way to consider, I'd want you in the mix on those. I know several writers who have sold a script, passed on assignments because they wanted to do their own thing, and taken 6 months to a year to write their next script. By not engaging in the assignments, you start to lose heat on your career. Then if your next script doesn't sell, you're cold. And it's hard to get out of that hole. (Which is doable, but hard). It's best to capitalize on that momentum.

Best,

MB
As an out-of-towner - what's the best way for a wannabe writer to make this work, short of the move to LA?
When a script goes out is there a time period that would be best to be in town and available? Two weeks? A month?

Is there a way to schedule generals in the same fashion? Spend a week or two in LA every couple of months?

What would work best for the career and the writer/manager relationship for someone who doesn't see moving to LA as feasible? OR is that inevitable if we want to work in the business?
Colin Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:49 AM   #552
michaelb
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 911
Default Re: Question for Michaelb (clients productivity)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Holmes View Post
As an out-of-towner - what's the best way for a wannabe writer to make this work, short of the move to LA?
When a script goes out is there a time period that would be best to be in town and available? Two weeks? A month?

Is there a way to schedule generals in the same fashion? Spend a week or two in LA every couple of months?

What would work best for the career and the writer/manager relationship for someone who doesn't see moving to LA as feasible? OR is that inevitable if we want to work in the business?
Pending the reaction, you'd want to be out here a week or two after it goes out, for about 2 weeks.

You'd then want to make a trip out every couple of months for a week or two.

At some point, if things are going well, you have to move to LA. In some rare cases people get around it, but they also are committed to spending a lot of money traveling.

Best,

MB
__________________
twitter.com/mbotti
michaelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:00 AM   #553
MrDealHD
User
 
MrDealHD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Paradise Island
Posts: 156
Default Re: Question for Michaelb (clients productivity)

Any clients nominated for any awards tonight? And will you be at home in the Jammies with a bowl of popcorn like the rest of us?
__________________
Fiction writers are demigods among men...
MrDealHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:09 PM   #554
michaelb
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 911
Default Re: Question for Michaelb (clients productivity)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDealHD View Post
Any clients nominated for any awards tonight? And will you be at home in the Jammies with a bowl of popcorn like the rest of us?
I wish. One day..

I'll be reading while having them on in the background.

Best,

MB
__________________
twitter.com/mbotti
michaelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:43 PM   #555
RichMike
Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 354
Default Re: Question for Michaelb (clients productivity)

thanks again, MichaelB for all of the info you've shared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelb View Post
Pending the reaction, you'd want to be out here a week or two after it goes out, for about 2 weeks.

You'd then want to make a trip out every couple of months for a week or two.

At some point, if things are going well, you have to move to LA. In some rare cases people get around it, but they also are committed to spending a lot of money traveling.

Best,

MB
__________________
a touch is a blow, a sound is a noise, a misfortune is a tragedy, a joy is an ecstasy, a friend is a lover, a lover is a god, and failure is death. Pearl Buck
RichMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:04 PM   #556
michaelb
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 911
Default Re: Question for Michaelb (clients productivity)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMike View Post
thanks again, MichaelB for all of the info you've shared.
No problem. Happy to help.

Best,

MB
__________________
twitter.com/mbotti
michaelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:49 AM   #557
acquaformosa
Regular
 
acquaformosa's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 339
Default Re: Question for Michaelb (clients productivity)

Michael:

Is this a common scenario and if so, is there a good or bad way to handle this (from either the mgr or writer’s POV) . . .

I have a new script that my manager has expressed a lot of enthusiasm for (back when we were wrapping it up in Dec/Jan), especially coming on the heels of an important script win (Austin). We selected a date in Feb to “take it out”, but it turns out that maybe his notion of “taking it out” and mine were polar opposites.

I thought it was going to get some serious exposure and sent to bunches of places whereas it turns out he took a far more cautious approach, pitching it to a mere handful of places and then taking a wait-n-see attitude. I’m worried that we’re missing an opportunity, but I also wanna defer to his judgment since it falls more in his area of expertise on the business side.

Question:
Does (or has) this happened to you and a client? And if so, what is the protocol here? I’ve politely expressed my reservations regarding the approach, but it’s the first time we’ve ever had such a divergent opinion regarding something like this. I’m assuming it’s the nature of the beast and I’m probably expected to stay out of the way and let him do his job, but . . . it just feels like such a key moment that we might be letting slip through our fingers.
acquaformosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:20 PM   #558
michaelb
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 911
Default Re: Question for Michaelb (clients productivity)

Quote:
Originally Posted by acquaformosa View Post
Michael:

Is this a common scenario and if so, is there a good or bad way to handle this (from either the mgr or writer’s POV) . . .

I have a new script that my manager has expressed a lot of enthusiasm for (back when we were wrapping it up in Dec/Jan), especially coming on the heels of an important script win (Austin). We selected a date in Feb to “take it out”, but it turns out that maybe his notion of “taking it out” and mine were polar opposites.

I thought it was going to get some serious exposure and sent to bunches of places whereas it turns out he took a far more cautious approach, pitching it to a mere handful of places and then taking a wait-n-see attitude. I’m worried that we’re missing an opportunity, but I also wanna defer to his judgment since it falls more in his area of expertise on the business side.

Question:
Does (or has) this happened to you and a client? And if so, what is the protocol here? I’ve politely expressed my reservations regarding the approach, but it’s the first time we’ve ever had such a divergent opinion regarding something like this. I’m assuming it’s the nature of the beast and I’m probably expected to stay out of the way and let him do his job, but . . . it just feels like such a key moment that we might be letting slip through our fingers.
Every case is different. Perhaps your script is not very commercial so only has a limited number of homes.

Or he could have sent it to 15 places only to get 15 rough passes, and lost enthusiasm for it.

Best,

MB
__________________
twitter.com/mbotti
michaelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:06 PM   #559
ewbet
User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 40
Default Re: Question for Michaelb (clients productivity)

Michael,

A question I'm pretty sure hasn't been asked.

I was lucky enough to eke into the Blacklist friday email with an 8 in one of the categories (characters.) The rest of the scores were 7s across the board.

The review is nothing special overall except for the "prospects" section. If that's where the review started and ended it would be a great sell.

My short term goal is to get people to download the damn thing.

So, as a manager, would the review and 7s carry any weight in whether you'd download it or not or is it really about connecting with the logline, review be damned.

Short version of the question. Should I make the review public or not?


Thanks in advance.
E
ewbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:07 AM   #560
michaelb
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 911
Default Re: Question for Michaelb (clients productivity)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewbet View Post
Michael,

A question I'm pretty sure hasn't been asked.

I was lucky enough to eke into the Blacklist friday email with an 8 in one of the categories (characters.) The rest of the scores were 7s across the board.

The review is nothing special overall except for the "prospects" section. If that's where the review started and ended it would be a great sell.

My short term goal is to get people to download the damn thing.

So, as a manager, would the review and 7s carry any weight in whether you'd download it or not or is it really about connecting with the logline, review be damned.

Short version of the question. Should I make the review public or not?


Thanks in advance.
E
People read the scripts sent to that send good to them. A script that has a good logline and a positive review that's on the email list will get reads.

Best,

MB
__________________
twitter.com/mbotti
michaelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Done Deal Pro

eXTReMe Tracker