Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2017, 01:13 PM   #11
AnyOtherName
Regular

Default Re: What's Hallmark, Lifetime Paying?

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalwriter1 View Post
If you don't have a rep, how did you first get in touch with Hallmark? I'm using a prodco that makes some of the movies for them.
Well, I do have reps, but this didn't come in through them (they, in fact, advised against it); it came in via the CE of a prodco.
AnyOtherName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 11:00 AM   #12
ProfessorChomp
Regular

About five years ago I did a production polish on a Lifetime movie. If I recall, they paid WGA scale minimum. Check out the Schedule of Minimums on the WGA site, look for basic cable.
ProfessorChomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:33 AM   #13
MAWriter
New User

Quote:
Thanks SPP.

Many of their Christmas movies are made from two companies in Canada that I'm guessing are not WGA signatories.

But this is one of those situations where for a newbie trying to break in with no rep -- you probably have to accept whatever is offered. Even with a rep, it doesn't sound like they can do much. Oh well...
I wasn't sure about Hallmark accepting newbies. I had my eye on trying them because I have a good bit of features completed, and I'm now starting to get my work out there. I have one script that is very much Hallmark but I was under the impression that you have to know someone to get in.

The money isn't that much of a bother to me because I may be close to getting a literary agent (as I also do other writing).
MAWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 04:15 PM   #14
Splendor
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAWriter View Post
I wasn't sure about Hallmark accepting newbies. I had my eye on trying them because I have a good bit of features completed, and I'm now starting to get my work out there. I have one script that is very much Hallmark but I was under the impression that you have to know someone to get in.

The money isn't that much of a bother to me because I may be close to getting a literary agent (as I also do other writing).
I sent something to a production company that works with them and am still waiting (year later) on feedback. For me it's not about the money because I genuinely enjoy writing this feel good stuff.
Splendor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 05:23 AM   #15
MAWriter
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splendor View Post
I sent something to a production company that works with them and am still waiting (year later) on feedback. For me it's not about the money because I genuinely enjoy writing this feel good stuff.
Would that be Chesler Perlmutter? They accept stuff for a lot of cable and regular network channels too. Would think that they needed new fresh talent. So maybe I am right -- it is nepotism or having close contacts?
Old 07-20-2017, 01:41 PM   #16
socalwriter1
Regular

The top exec at Hallmark cable said in an interview either earlier this year or last that the Christmas/Family themed movies were very successful for them and will be expanding their offerings.

So it would make sense they would want additional "fresh" writers but I couldn't find (on google) where or whom within Hallmark to pitch to. MAWriter, hope you have better luck.
socalwriter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 11:00 AM   #17
EvilRbt

I made around $50-60k for a $2m Lifetime project, but that included purchase, rewrite, and polish. It was also a few years ago.

NOTES / COVERAGE
10,000+ Screenplays
DD Thread Facebook
screenplaymechanic@gmail.com
EvilRbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 09:06 PM   #18
socalwriter1
Regular

That's close to the 2 1/2% of budget rule-of-thumb I've heard of for payment. But did this include residuals? Are residuals automatically part of the package or do you have to negotiate for it?
socalwriter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 05:52 PM   #19
jimjimgrande

so long as you're working for a WGA signatory company, you don't have to negotiate residuals.

jimjimgrande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 12:11 PM   #20
MAWriter
New User

Quote:
The top exec at Hallmark cable said in an interview either earlier this year or last that the Christmas/Family themed movies were very successful for them and will be expanding their offerings.

So it would make sense they would want additional "fresh" writers but I couldn't find (on google) where or whom within Hallmark to pitch to. MAWriter, hope you have better luck.
Thanks. Yes I heard the same; Christmas movies bring in decent ratings. I actually haven't tried yet. I have something so I was wondering if it would be worth it to engage them.

I don't believe you can pitch directly to Hallmark. Production companies (usually in Canada) are the ones to contact. I mentioned Chesler Perlmutter on a thread I started about SyFy. CP is listed here but not with much info on updated projects. They're cater to Lifetime and Hallmark crowd. Think I will look for a couple more companies like them and try anyway.