Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Agents, Lawyers & Managers
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2019, 02:57 PM   #1
docgonzo

Default First ATA agency breaks ranks

Kaplan-Stahler signs the code of conduct. The dam is about to burst!

https://deadline.com/2019/07/kaplan-...gn-1202650703/
docgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 07:35 PM   #2
finalact4

Default Re: First ATA agency breaks ranks

Quote:
Originally Posted by docgonzo View Post
Kaplan-Stahler signs the code of conduct. The dam is about to burst!

https://deadline.com/2019/07/kaplan-...gn-1202650703/
this is a good thing. it's probably good for the board that it happened before the voting. hopefully, this will give proper incentive to other agencies to come on board, too.

Abram's is still a hold out. interesting.

oh, and i've been reading up on the ANI, AGI, and ASI. crazy to think, i think i have a spark of an idea. LUCY was basically a human evolved into a biologic ASI.
Old 07-22-2019, 08:53 PM   #3
Bono

i found 4 deals listed under DD with their name. I've heard of them, but never seen them out in the trades... but there are like 100 agencies like that so they must be doing something...

None of this matters. Its up to the big 4. Sorry, but this is not going to change things as I see. Every agency can sign, but if the big 4 don't, then what's the difference if they control what 90% of the work?
Bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 12:24 AM   #4
JoeBanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bono View Post
None of this matters. Its up to the big 4. Sorry, but this is not going to change things as I see. Every agency can sign, but if the big 4 don't, then what's the difference if they control what 90% of the work?
CAA started as five ex-William Morris agents working off card tables. now they're majority-owned by private equity bros who have spent the last 5 years giving back much of what it took Ovitz et al. 40 years to build up. if WME's IPO goes **** up, their own p.e. investors could head for the exits and leave it in a weakened position. i'm not saying a new wave of disruption at the agency level is definitely going to happen but history says it's the nature of their business that all power is fleeting and there's always someone hungrier than whoever's sitting atop the throne willing to take a shot at the king
JoeBanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 01:42 AM   #5
AnyOtherName
Regular

Quote:
i found 4 deals listed under DD with their name. I've heard of them, but never seen them out in the trades... but there are like 100 agencies like that so they must be doing something...

I mean, if the Big Four can't represent writers, then they'll control 0% of the work; one day, they will no longer be so Big, and one day, they will no longer be Four.
AnyOtherName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 08:03 AM   #6
catcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnyOtherName View Post
I mean, if the Big Four can't represent writers, then they'll control 0% of the work; one day, they will no longer be so Big, and one day, they will no longer be Four.
Through the magic of serialization and syndication, the money will keep rolling in to those 'Big 4' for decades.

It's like I say, we need to start doing more of the work ourselves, and most importantly retaining (more of) the rights to our I.P. - speaking about our own specs here, of course, not those juicy Marvel/DC adaptations. There, you may get a big payday at the front-end, but far less overall, and in the back-end.
catcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 08:53 AM   #7
JS90
User

Quote:
Except they still represent the biggest directors and the biggest actors. I agree that they’ve taken a small hit, but they still have waaaay more leverage than anyone wants to admit.
JS90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 10:03 AM   #8
Done Deal Pro
Administrator

Quote:
Which agency?
Done Deal Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 10:10 AM   #9
Bono

Kaplan-Stahler

It was actually 8 film deals and 21 TV deals... I looked too quickly -- but I was just saying that all these small places can join the WGA side of things, but unfortunately the big four have all the power still. It's up to them to change.

Get the feeling that this will lead to writers not being repped by the big four if they are only writers -- and the big four will only work with bigger names that produce and showrun and direct and act, as well as write.

That's just a guess. I don't know if that's better or worse. Maybe it's better if writers aren't lost in the shuffle of a giant agency machine. Who knows?
Bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 10:11 AM   #10
finalact4

Quote:
what happens if a big-time writer breaks ranks and goes back to an agency?

and, ideally, it would be great is the DGA and SAG would get on board with the WGA.