You Don't Know What You're Writing About Until the End!

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You Don't Know What You're Writing About Until the End!

Supposedly you have gotten into this writing dodge because you’re a storyteller. You have something gnawing inside you, burning, chewing at your guts that you can’t wait to get out into the world. To share with others. To make people … Continue reading →

More...

Re: You Don't Know What You're Writing About Until the End!

On my very first script, I bravely typed FADE IN:

After wandering about aimlessly for 145 excruciating pages, I struggled to end it. Since that day, I religiously attend the Church of Outline Jesus and have been SAVED!

Comment

I had a similar tragic start to my writing career... but it was a novel in 1983-84 that, of course, I felt was destined to change everything!

Starting from a blank page one, and after about 120 pages or so, I was so lost and discombobulated, and my early word processor was so ill-equipped to ease my burden, that I simply gave up.

Lucky me.

Nearly 30 years later, I found myself doing some creative writing once again, except it was for the movies. Apparently the foundation of those things is called a "screenplay", whatever that is. As I learned the arcane formatting of that beast, I also found myself using far more modern computer equipment to write up ideas quickly, taking advantage of my multi-tasking brain, that it became an outline. (See here for a screensnap of one of my older ones.)

And yes, I've used the same organizational process, expanded, for every script since.

Oh, and that Great Unfinished Novel? Some of its story-line found its way into one of my scripts in 2011, so there you go!

PS. Same advice on the InkTip FB page today: https://www.lightsfilmschool.com/blo...screenplay-agw
      Last edited by catcon; 05-15-2019, 07:48 AM. Reason: Added PS

Comment

Don't think 'tragic' is the right word in my case. My first script was a 'learning experience.' I have since re-re-written that sucker many times and learned from every new version. The latest variant of my evolved mantra is 'OUTLINE AND WRITE TIGHT' Tight here means be concise, not drunk.

Comment

I speak of tragedy as merely anything more than one minute of wasted time! (Yeah, I'd be a hard guy to live with, no doubt about that!)

Comment

Working...
          X