Claimed Hollywood writer's script formatting notes (are they wrong??)

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Claimed Hollywood writer's script formatting notes (are they wrong??)

Originally posted by Bananos View Post
    Writers are touchy. My only point was that it is only advice, and you don't have to agree with it. But what is ridiculous is shutting yourself off from any criticism, as so many does in this thread, by calling the critiquer something negative (he does not know how things are done in hollywood, he's a charlatan , etc). That was my point.
    What this con artist was offering was not real criticism. It was classic scam bait. Find a fake problem and then charge the mark to fix it.

If you're interested in what real criticism sounds like, check out the 3 Page Challenges on Scriptnotes, and Good Scripts, Bad Scripts (https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...ts_Bad_Scripts.)

The real issues screenwriters wrestle with are so much more complex and subtle than using or not using WE SEE.
    If you really like it you can have the rights
    It could make a million for you overnight

Comment

Originally posted by Bananos View Post
      Writers are touchy. My only point was that it is only advice, and you don't have to agree with it. But what is ridiculous is shutting yourself off from any criticism, as so many does in this thread, by calling the critiquer something negative (he does not know how things are done in hollywood, he's a charlatan , etc). That was my point.
      Valid criticism is one thing but poor advice is worse than no advice - even if it's given away for free. In this case, the analyzer is offering advice for a fee when he doesn't have a clue what he's talking about. And worse, he'll net the gullible with his authoritative declarations that you'll "get an instant rejection" if you do any of the things that he (in his ignorance) declares "verboten."

If I put up a sign and claimed to be a doctor, then told everyone who came in with cancer that the "cure" was getting a haircut, I would be in jail within a month. No one would defend me by saying the patients were "touchy." If you're going to sell advice, you need to know what you're talking about. Otherwise you're a fraud.
      STANDARD DISCLAIMER: I'm a wannabe, take whatever I write with a huge grain of salt.

Comment

Originally posted by Centos View Post
        And worse, he'll net the gullible with his authoritative declarations that you'll "get an instant rejection" if you do any of the things that he (in his ignorance) declares "verboten."
        I remember those days, the days soon after I told myself: “I know what I'll do! I'll write a screenplay! Yeah... that's the ticket!” I ‘paid to play’ and would read some of those guru guys and think, “Yeah... that makes sense,” but the only POV I had was outside looking in. It was then, decades ago, my education as a would-be screenwriter began. Since then, it's been helpful to be on the inside looking out, on occasion.

Perspective is everything when creating an image, written or visual.

The main goal for me these days is to ask myself whether or not the audience — which is anyone who sees the screenplay in any form, be it an outline, a treatment, a script, or a film for an agent, a producer, a manager, a director, any studio suits, or the ticket-buying moviegoer — ‘sees’ and believes the action and dialogue of the story on film as what I've written plays out on the page.

All “rules” are fair game for bending or breaking in favor of making the story work at its highest potential.
        Last edited by Clint Hill; 09-15-2018, 01:13 PM.
        “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

Originally posted by TimAucoin View Post
          That's what I thought. It's too bad he's pulled the wool over many an eye on the freelancing site he's on. He has a five star review and thousands of orders. It's a shame.
          Tim - Come out, come out, wherever you are!

We really shouldn't stand by and do nothing. We must alert all of those aspiring screenwriters who have thousands of orders with this pretend expert.

Please, do the right thing and post a link to the guy's profile on that freelancing site he's on.
          Know this: I'm a lazy amateur, so trust not a word what I write.
          "The ugly can be beautiful. The pretty, never." ~ Oscar Wilde

Comment

Originally posted by TimAucoin View Post
            That's what I thought. It's too bad he's pulled the wool over many an eye on the freelancing site he's on. He has a five star review and thousands of orders. It's a shame.
            APB - MISSING PERSON - Tim Aucoin - white male - indeterminate age - absent for 40 days - suspected of exaggerations and/or falsehoods for the purpose of self-promotion - approach with moderate cynicism.
            Last edited by Crayon; 10-05-2018, 03:50 AM. Reason: clarity
            Know this: I'm a lazy amateur, so trust not a word what I write.
            "The ugly can be beautiful. The pretty, never." ~ Oscar Wilde

Comment

Working...
            X