No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Raven... uh, ok.

xx
    Last edited by Writerperson12; 04-25-2023, 06:15 PM.

Re: The Raven... uh, ok.

So you're mad because studios are inquiring with WME about a potential film?????

It's a good thing you say you're not jealous. It's basically impossible to tell that from your rant.

Comment

Great news for me, since I am working on a feature script to coincide with the release of a sci-fi action thriller short I wrote that's in post right now. We're planning a similar viral Youtube type approach and have a few ins at some of the major news sites. Seems like a viable business model these days!

This short looked great. I agree the story was a bit lacking, Neo vs. the police force from Robocop with a District 9 ship watching over everything. Or maybe a live action Akira type of deal.

Who knows though, I know with my own short I was kind of unexpectedly asked to write some sort of demo for the feature treatment in progress, so I retconned something out of a draft that's now outdated and won't 100% jive with whatever the finished product ends up as, and a month or two later it was shot. I was hell bent on telling a story with it, and so was the director, but the main purpose all along was to create something that could be handed over with a home run script. A short that lays any fears we won't pull off the production value side of things to rest. I mean the script is supposed to be the thing that convinces them we have the story, but sometimes these sci-fi projects seem like risky propositions when all the studio sees on the page are big fat dollar signs.

In other words, I wouldn't necessarily worry that you're going to get a feature that's as lacking storywise as this short. ALIVE IN JOBURG didn't really have much of a story to it, whereas DISTRICT 9 has a crackerjack story.

Personally if the DISTRICT 9 business model becomes viable I think it is a great thing for genre filmmaking, since the trick always seems to be convincing studios and money people to spend money on something they can't yet visualize. You give them a comic book or a movie that needs remaking or sequelization and they get it, but not so much if they have to read 120 pages of words. The industry needs more original property floating around, each one of these young turks to slip through the cracks into the studio system is a healthy thing in my opinion.

Comment

xxx
        Last edited by Writerperson12; 04-25-2023, 06:16 PM.

Comment

xx

Comment

Originally posted by jboffer View Post
            Look, seriously, I'm not ready for Hollywood, and I'm not pretending I am. I have three scripts, and they all suck. I'm not jealous. I've only been screenwriting for a year, and with how busy am I with work, I'v barely even been one the last 4 months. I do not care who gets money.

But I do care about quality movies, and the fact this could inspire a feature is nauseating.

The fact I like to write does not mean I don't get to be a critic, and it has nothing to do with jealousy.

You know that short was pointless and derivative.
            You read a fan page that said a short film was getting some interest from movie studios.

It doesn't say what studios.

It doesn't say what level of interest there is.

It doesn't say whether or not the filmmakers and their reps at WME have more to offer. For all you know they've got a kickass feature length script ready.

Even if that's not the case, the link you providing only says studios have showed "interest".

That doesn't mean jack. Studios are constantly scouring all forms of media looking for something that can spark a film. They pass on the vast majority of it.

But the bottom line here is that you have no clue what's going with this project. NONE!!

Yet you immediately jump to the conclusion that the only thing this particular filmmaker has a is this short and that studios are blindly going gaga over it.

That's a very large leap.

You also make the claim that you "care about movies". Implying that the filmmaker who made that short does not.

It's quite obvious that you think this particular filmmaker doesn't deserve a film deal despite the fact that you don't know anything about the project or him or what else is going on behind the scenes.

I find that kinda nauseating.

BTW you've now said twice that you're not jealous, and I still don't buy it.

Comment

I believe the line was "interlace your fingers on top of your head" or something silly like that.

Yeah, I don't think this is a patch on ALIVE IN JOBURG. I totally agree this is just Neo running around in Robocop/District 9 world. All I'm saying is that it still works as a display of the director's abilities if they have a quality script. If they're buying it based on this and the script is just as stale as what's here then yes it's too bad we were all duped by pretty shiny cinematography. But in principle I still think it's a good thing that this approach to selling a movie is working.

Comment

Also what prescribe22 said

Comment

xx

Comment

Criticize the short film all you want. I couldn't care less.

But mostly you've been ranting about a film deal that hasn't happened yet based on hyperbole and innuendo posted by a blogger who clearly doesn't have any inside knowledge about the project or what's really happening.

Still sounds like jealousy to me. Sorry.

You go ahead and believe what you want to. I suppose I'm jealous because I didn't like the last 3 episodes of South Park, too. Or that I didn't like Inglorious Basterds. PURE JEALOUSY!!!
                    Non sequitur much?

Comment

No, you are jealous. Because I say you are. That makes it true.

Comment

Personally, I think that was brilliantly directed (the cinematography was also quite good). Sure, it was a simple story (the little dialogue probably could have been better too) but I want to know more about the world. It's definitely one of the better action/scifi shorts I have seen. Really, this seemed like a vehicle to show the director's skills -- and it does show them.

INT. PINEAPPLE - DAY

Comment

I thought it was very good; thanks for posting.

I just finished a short film, with a couple more in pre-production, so it's inspiring to hear about something like this.
                          TimeStorm & Blurred Vision Book info & blog: https://stormingtime.com//

Comment

Originally posted by jboffer View Post
                            No, you are jealous. Because I say you are. That makes it true.
                            I have been known to get jealous.

I'm actually a fairly jealous of this short film director's talent. I wish I could shoot something like that over a weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by prescribe22 View Post
                              I have been known to get jealous.

I'm actually a fairly jealous of this short film director's talent. I wish I could shoot something like that over a weekend.
                              Actually, over a weekend is pretty cool. If it really was.

It wasn't done "over a weekend." They filmed a guy running through streets in a weekend, sure. Wow, that's hard. Then did the labor intensive part--the great digital effects. I'm sure a ton of work went into this.

...to show a guy running away from robots.

Comment

Working...
                              X