No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Halloween II

Originally posted by WalterWhite View Post
    Bio, I actually respect you and your writing. Please don't sink down to this level. refer to my post above to see what I'm talking about.
    I'm not sinking down to any level. I'm simply agreeing with what someone else said. Rob Zombie cannot direct traffic. Period. Just watch his films for proof. If anyone disagrees, I will gladly explain why he sucks balls at filmmaking, but it's not worth typing out otherwise because it's entirely obvious - hence the brevity of my previous reply.

No, he's not trying to make the next Citizen Kane...but maybe that's the problem. Too many shltty films these days and not enough worth remembering...and few too many filmmakers attempting to inject a little artistic merit into their work. Zombie and others like him are a plague to cinema.

Comment

Originally posted by Biohazard View Post
      I'm not sinking down to any level. I'm simply agreeing with what someone else said. Rob Zombie cannot direct traffic. Period. Just watch his films for proof. If anyone disagrees, I will gladly explain why he sucks balls at filmmaking, but it's not worth typing out otherwise because it's entirely obvious - hence the brevity of my previous reply.

No, he's not trying to make the next Citizen Kane...but maybe that's the problem. Too many shltty films these days and not enough worth remembering...and few too many filmmakers attempting to inject a little artistic merit into their work. Zombie and others like him are a plague to cinema.
      I've watched all of his films and the problem I have with him has more to do with his writing than his directing. I actually think he's a pretty darn good director, I think the trouble lies within his scripts and his dialogue. The performances he gets out of people (aside from Sheri Moon, who I believe is incapable of giving anything resembling a performance) is actually quite good. He also achieves the 70's vibe that he's going for quite well. The way he handles himself on set, from what I've seen, is actually quite impressive.

Sorry for the sinking down to that level comment. You didn't deserve that, you were just stating your opinion. Again, I apologize.

I think I'll just stay out of this thread from now on. I feel that I'm just repeating myself at this point. Everything that I've wanted to say I've said already.

--WW
      Trying to write, failing miserably.

Comment

Compare the original Halloween to Zombie's and you will see such pedestrian directing from Zombie, it's pathetic. It stands out at how uninspired and over-stylized it is. The writing makes it all seem worse.

Comment

If I may,

Bio, I believe we have the same top 4 horror movies. The Thing, Halloween, The Shining, The Texas Chain Saw Massacre. We split on Re-Animator and ... what was yours again? Rosemary's Baby? Psycho? Dawn of the Dead? I can't remember. Something from my top 10, probably. Point is we probably see eye to eye on what we really like. I say most horror diehards can agree on about 90% of their upper echelon.

But then there's that 10%. I happened to love The Devil's Rejects. Loved it right off the bat when I saw it in the theater, loved it on subsequent viewings, loved it even more when I watched the two hour making-of documentary where I was surprised to find that Rob Zombie was a thoughtful and resourceful no nonsense filmmaker with real vision. My tickets for every following Rob Zombie picture were pre-sold with this one movie.

And then he did Halloween. The original is a sacred cow for me. And Rob Zombie's movies really fall apart when you compare them to Carpenter. Obviously. Carpenter directed my two favorite horror films, and plenty in the top 50, 100, and so on. Zombie is nowhere near his level. But he's not trying to do the same thing. He has his own take on the genre and it happened to be an awkward match with Michael Myers. He would have been a far more appropriate talent for The Texas Chainsaw Massacre or Friday the 13th or even Nightmare on Elm Street. Or Halloween 3: Season of the Witch. Or a million other horror films. Not the subtle slow burn dread of John Carpenter's most significant contribution to the world.

But he was the man for Halloween. And so we have two Rob Zombie Halloween movies that seem like misallocated investment of his post-Rejects time, or a flatout embarassment if you prefer. I can't really argue with someone who hates Rob Zombie's Halloween, or all of his movies for that matter. I just feel obligated to explain why I think he's a talented director that should pick his projects a little bit better and find a talented writer to reign him in a bit. I don't understand anyone who could watch Halloween II and not find anything to like in it. If you don't like the cinematography I have to assume you just don't like cinematography.

It's unfortunate that every second horror movie these days is a remake. Some of them are good, like The Hills Have Eyes or The Last House on the Left or Dawn of the Dead. None of these are better or more significant than the originals, though. And in the case of the Craven remakes, I only really consider them good because the originals are so technically crude and the remakes at least improved on that. That's three debatable titles though, and these remakes are coming out every other week. Most of them are godawful. And the most pointless ones are the ones that just make a few adjustments to the original, slather on a few coats of high grade gloss, and then package it for today's idiot teens. The defense I would make for Rob Zombie is that he is at least trying to come at the genre with his own ideas and framework, even if he is being tasked to remake a sacred cow. His style is instantly identifiable. Isn't that the mark of an auteur, whether you like him or not?

I think he will go on to make some very good films. I think he's a good voice to have in horror right now. In an alternate universe he made Tyrannosaurus Rex instead of Halloween and I would be singing his praises with less restraint. But f*ck it, I'm starting Rob Zombie Fans Anonymous with WalterWhite anyway. I think he's a good director.

Comment

I can not tell you how happy it makes me for people to even have these horror film conversations. Horror fans are a sub genre of people all to themselves. I just love the passion on both sides of the discussion.

Just saw The Fly again on AMC (sucks due to being edited) but always great to see it.

I think Zombie shows chops at directing, surely not saying he reached the original Halloween level, but agree that it's mostly the shitty scripts that are the real cause of my pain in his movies.

Comment

Working...
            X