"Push", will this action extravaganza push the envelope of Action films/writing?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "Push", will this action extravaganza push the envelope of Action films/writing?

Originally posted by Adam Isaac View Post
    Every studio is entitled to make their own X-MEN knock-off! This is America...home of the mutants!
    @TerranceMulloy

Comment

Re: "Push", will this action extravaganza push the envelope of Action films/writing?

saw it too. one note all the way. whoever made that heroes comment is on the money yet they just added a new ability to showcase which costs heroes a new episode. It needed more set pieces and a little more funny out of Evans and it could have been better. they definitely could have done more in the cutting room. C+

*I've always wanted to grade something....

Comment

anybody know the budget on this film? $10 million dollar weekend gross aint all that great.
        One must be fearless and tenacious when pursuing their dreams. If you don't, regret will be your reward.

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

bad promoting, bad timing = low gross.
          "There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you."
          -Maya Angelou

Comment

what about bad movie?
            One must be fearless and tenacious when pursuing their dreams. If you don't, regret will be your reward.

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

Stop Ben's Never-Ending Thread Titles Now!

Mojo has it budgeted at $38 million, that seems about right.

It's been promoted up the wazoo - I can't change the channels without hitting an advert. And some websites have those annoying, always playing, loop adverts for it.

But SPEED RACER has shown us you can spend a ton of money on ads and tie ins and the film will still flop if the audience thinks it sucks.

PS: at the 25% opening weekend formula, PUSH breaks even.

- Bill
              Last edited by wcmartell; 02-08-2009, 02:55 PM.
              Free Script Tips:
              http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

can u break down what the 25% formula is? if $10 mill is the opening BO number, my guess is that will decrease and maybe leave theaters with about $20 to $25 million if they're lucky (assuming critics dont rip it apart as bad as rotten tomatoes), dvd sales maybe...hmmm..another $5 to 10 mill? and at this point they're not close to recouping the P&A budget yet which probably cost them a pretty penny. just my guess though.

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

Please Stop Ben Before He Writes More Long Thread Titles Like This

The first weekend gross is usually 25% of the total a movie makes (in cinemas).

So PUSH, which I unfortunately saw tonight and it sucks, will probably end the theatrical run with somewhere around $40 million. Except it sucks, so word of mouth may kill it.

PUSH is one of those scripts that needed a lot of work or a great director... it didn't seem to get either. The story has this fatal flaw - the MacGuffin doesn't show up until act 3, and before that it's a lot of people talking in grungy rooms and every so often a completely pointless fight scene that doesn't accomplish anything and winning or losing doesn't matter to the story. So it's all filler material. Imagine RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK, but instead of finding the ark and having it stolen and trying to steal it back... they don't find the ark until the very end of the movie, and the rest of the time Indy and the Nazis just say mean things to each other. Indy can't kill the Nazis because the movie would be over, and the Nazis can't kill Indy for the same reason... so it would just be pointless filler action. That's PUSH.

Dialogue is often terrible and expositional, characters are often characatures, and action scenes are pointless - and often silly (things that looked good on paper look like cartoons in real life). Also, key elements aren't introduced until *way* too late - sinking the story. Again - it's like they were making it up as they went along, when the plot twists required things to be set up.

I think most acting is brought down by dialogue - but the acting is okay. Hounsou needed to be given more to do - he's one of those great guys who can elevate crap, and they mostly just had him stand there. Fanning is okay - drunk scene is a highlight. Belle looks stoned, and is playing the femme fatale, but in the most unsexy clothes you can imagine. Evans is kind of the lead, and needed more character - or at least some personality. Cliff Curtis has a great role, and he's also one of those actors you can put in a crap film and he makes it better (10,000 BC with Belle).

Plot, by the way, makes no sense.

Directing is crap. The whole movie looks like they forgot to color time it. The angles and composition are often weird. They have these ultra grainy shots, and at first I thought it was for a purpose... but then they'll have one when there's no remote viewing, so maybe there is no purpose. Shaky cam, quick cuts, the usual crap. It's difficult to make Hong Kong look this bad on film - it's lighted wrong. Things that should be magic on film end up being dull. Fanning is psychic and has a sketch pad where she draws these images of the future, and instead of the magical match of sketch and reality, it's just kind of there. Hard to screw something like that up, but they do.

The film needed to be more fun, more exciting, and more emotionally involving. Just kind of lays there like a carp.

- Bill
                  Last edited by wcmartell; 02-09-2009, 01:08 AM.
                  Free Script Tips:

Comment

Yeah but...did it at least push the envelope of Action films/writing?

Comment

Re: Please Stop Ben Before He Writes More Long Thread Titles Like This

I Bill-

I saw it yesterday, after listening to George Pennacchio on ABC 7 Los Angeles, he said you had to pay close attention to this one, and watch closely to the movie as it progresses...

I admit it felt strange watching this one, although Evan's character wasn't much of a lead at the beginning and should have focused on being in control... as you said about Indiana Jones movie of "Raiders", you are absolutely right, needs to show us the goal a bit more ahead in the film, either they did but not clear enough to understand.

But, it was an interesting ending.

Originally posted by wcmartell View Post
                      The first weekend gross is usually 25% of the total a movie makes (in cinemas).

So PUSH, which I unfortunately saw tonight and it sucks, will probably end the theatrical run with somewhere around $40 million. Except it sucks, so word of mouth may kill it.

PUSH is one of those scripts that needed a lot of work or a great director... it didn't seem to get either. The story has this fatal flaw - the MacGuffin doesn't show up until act 3, and before that it's a lot of people talking in grungy rooms and every so often a completely pointless fight scene that doesn't accomplish anything and winning or losing doesn't matter to the story. So it's all filler material. Imagine RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK, but instead of finding the ark and having it stolen and trying to steal it back... they don't find the ark until the very end of the movie, and the rest of the time Indy and the Nazis just say mean things to each other. Indy can't kill the Nazis because the movie would be over, and the Nazis can't kill Indy for the same reason... so it would just be pointless filler action. That's PUSH.

Dialogue is often terrible and expositional, characters are often characatures, and action scenes are pointless - and often silly (things that looked good on paper look like cartoons in real life). Also, key elements aren't introduced until *way* too late - sinking the story. Again - it's like they were making it up as they went along, when the plot twists required things to be set up.

I think most acting is brought down by dialogue - but the acting is okay. Hounsou needed to be given more to do - he's one of those great guys who can elevate crap, and they mostly just had him stand there. Fanning is okay - drunk scene is a highlight. Belle looks stoned, and is playing the femme fatale, but in the most unsexy clothes you can imagine. Evans is kind of the lead, and needed more character - or at least some personality. Cliff Curtis has a great role, and he's also one of those actors you can put in a crap film and he makes it better (10,000 BC with Belle).

Plot, by the way, makes no sense.

Directing is crap. The whole movie looks like they forgot to color time it. The angles and composition are often weird. They have these ultra grainy shots, and at first I thought it was for a purpose... but then they'll have one when there's no remote viewing, so maybe there is no purpose. Shaky cam, quick cuts, the usual crap. It's difficult to make Hong Kong look this bad on film - it's lighted wrong. Things that should be magic on film end up being dull. Fanning is psychic and has a sketch pad where she draws these images of the future, and instead of the magical match of sketch and reality, it's just kind of there. Hard to screw something like that up, but they do.

The film needed to be more fun, more exciting, and more emotionally involving. Just kind of lays there like a carp.

- Bill
                      D. Alin
                      http://alinproduction.blogspot.com Sci-Fi/Fantasy (Basically) [Skype me at "Buyitpc" - I will surely love to talk!]

Comment

There's a point in one of the fights where Fanning tells Hounsou they can't kill Evans, it will change the future - so Hounsou tells his guy to stop. And I wondered - what was the point if all they can do is beat him up and let him go so that they can have another fight where they *have* to let him go. It's pointless.

Also - what is The Division going to do with this stuff? We don't have a demonstration of what's possible, and we don't have a villain's plan to thwart. They are cardboard villains after a worthless MacGuffin.

No envelopes were pushed, though they did use some pretty red envelopes as part of the story.

- Bill
                        Last edited by wcmartell; 02-09-2009, 02:13 PM.
                        Free Script Tips:

Comment

It is interesting that you said that... I popped in the "JUMPER" DVD after I saw this one (yesterday) and noticed that the villain in that story also seem cardboard villains. It's not until you watch the Deleted scenes that you discover a little more about Roland and the Paladins, (which the screenplay called them: Marquins) but they cut so much out of the film version of the movie that it would have been more interesting to see why they really hunted down the "Jumpers", it's vital IMO.

But, you are right!

There's a point in one of the fights where Fanning tells Hounsou they can't kill Evens, it will change the future - so Hounsou tells his guy to stop. And I wondered - what was the point if all they can do is beat him up and let him go so that they can have another fighht where they *have* to let him go. It's pointless.

Also - what is The Division going to do with this stuff? We don't have a demonstration of what's possible, and we don't have a villain's plan to thwart. They are cardboard villains after a worthless MacGuffin.

No envelopes were pushed, though they did use some pretty red envelopes as part of the story.

- Bill
                          D. Alin
                          http://alinproduction.blogspot.com Sci-Fi/Fantasy (Basically) [Skype me at "Buyitpc" - I will surely love to talk!]

Comment

Great concept, but what a waste. I agree with everything Bill says. Dakota's drunk scene was indeed the highlight of the movie. (which also turned out to be pointless.)
                            Screenwriting is like stripping. You don't just dump your clothes on the floor. You tease as you go. And then you get screwed in a back room for money. - Craig Mazin

Comment

Re: Please Stop Ben Before He Writes More Long Thread Titles Like This

...Directing is crap. The whole movie looks like they forgot to color time it. The angles and composition are often weird. They have these ultra grainy shots, and at first I thought it was for a purpose... but then they'll have one when there's no remote viewing, so maybe there is no purpose. Shaky cam, quick cuts, the usual crap. It's difficult to make Hong Kong look this bad on film - it's lighted wrong.
                              - Bill
                              The film wasn't very good, that's true, but there wasn't that much wrong with the way it looked. The color timing was fine, in fact on a blu ray it's better than many others I have seen. Film was a bit grainy though.

Comment

Working...
                              X