Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just saw 15 mins of Avatar in 3d

I just saw 15 minutes of the film in 3d, and I gota tell you, the reaction was pretty underwhelming, and that's not just me, but the other people I saw it with. The theatre was sombre afterwards. The 3d worked 75% and the rest it was just distracting. There is a focus problem. when the camera is moving it is hard to see. I have a real bad headache, and I don't get headaches. Another problem is the design, the whole world looked fake. It looked like the xbox360 game Kameo. These were all old ideas. Nothing felt new. Not to say there wasn't good stuff about it too. I can't think of any off the top of my head, but I'm sure there was some. Sadly it's a lot of hype. BeoWolf was a much better use of 3d.
    It's the eye of the Tiger, it's the thrill of the fight

Re: Just saw 15 mins of Avatar in 3d

The way AVATAR is being struck out is just tragic. I mean, if people who have low or no expecatations of this film are underwhelmed on AVATAR day, what about people like me who have bought into all the Marketsaw, FOX hype?

I'd been hoping 2009 in sci-fi to be as such:

Star Trek on one end, AVATAR on the other end, with District 9 and Moon sandwiched in between. Now, not so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Jules View Post
      I just saw 15 minutes of the film in 3d, and I gota tell you, the reaction was pretty underwhelming, and that's not just me, but the other people I saw it with. The theatre was sombre afterwards. The 3d worked 75% and the rest it was just distracting. There is a focus problem. when the camera is moving it is hard to see. I have a real bad headache, and I don't get headaches. Another problem is the design, the whole world looked fake. It looked like the xbox360 game Kameo. These were all old ideas. Nothing felt new. Not to say there wasn't good stuff about it too. I can't think of any off the top of my head, but I'm sure there was some. Sadly it's a lot of hype. BeoWolf was a much better use of 3d.
      In my opinion, Cameron's main nemesis for AVATAR was... The passage of TIME.

That and the exponential advancement of computer rendering technology available to the consumer market.

We are in the age of the Xbox360, PS3 and PC hardware that is only a few steps below what they actually use to render images at the Industrial Light and Magic level. People are used to what he is trying to hype as revolutionary, now.

Another poster who claimed to work in the video games industry said they have nothing close to the level of detail Avatar has... And they are probably right... But they were also speaking from a purely technical stand point versus an aesthetic stand point, too. This reinforces my point people will go to this film looking at the end product, not the technology behind that end product. And the end product doesn't look all that impressive in 2009 vs. 1999 when this project was apparently started.

I'm not saying the final 3D product will be bad considering the movie is not even finished shooting, apparently.

But I do think the biggest factor working against Avatar is it took so long to produce that the wow factor isn't as extreme now because that wow factor is common place in the world of consumer video games and other electronic entertainment media.
      Positive outcomes. Only.

Comment

In my opinion, comparing the best looking video game out there now with the CGI of Avatar or any recent CGI heavy movie is like comparing amateur youtube film footage with a professionally shot film.

The differences are apparent.

Comment

Originally posted by Why One View Post
          In my opinion, comparing the best looking video game out there now with the CGI of Avatar or any recent CGI heavy movie is like comparing amateur youtube film footage with a professionally shot film.

The differences are apparent.
          OK. This is a fair assessment.

But the problem is viewers need to be in the proper environment to appreciate the real advances vs. the many TVs, hand-held mobile devices and standard 2D movie screens the commercials for AVATAR are going to be shown on non-stop come December.

This is what I mean about people being jaded with the CGI. Or what they think isn't ground-breaking CGI...
          Positive outcomes. Only.

Comment

Yeah, I definitely see your point there. I do believe we are living in a society overloaded with CGI. Even basic car and deodarant commercials have CGI/vfx. People hardly batter an eyelid to them anymore in their 2D format.

Comment

I saw this our news last night - and the people they interviewed that came out of the movie theatre all thought it was amazing. One guy thought it would change the face of cinema. I haven't seen it, so I'd interested if anyone else caught a glimpse.

Comment

I saw this preview tonight in IMAX 3D and it was the best thing I've ever seen. Stunning. 3D worked perfectly and that is the ONLY way this film should be viewed come December 18th.

Comment

Not sure what movie Jules walked into - but everyone I know who caught it last night have been blown away. That ony makes me regret not going with them when I had the chance.
                  @TerranceMulloy

Comment

I had visual effects people who worked on it sitting next to me, they were bagging on it. I am sure it will polarize people. I bet there's plenty of people who will say it's amazing, and will change things, you can find someone to say anything and keep your hype machine running, but I don't see this doing anything major hat hasn't been done in the last five years. The last film to blow my mind was King Kong. Well, actually it may have been beowulf, or was it? This is a mash of the two vomited up from a toddler's skettle overdose. Not to give anyone the impression it's all bad, because it isn't. That could be someone elses 'thing' There's plenty to like about the film. The footage before they got on the alien planet was more subtle and drew me in. I hope when I get to the theatre again and see the piece all together as intended, in the context of story, that my mind is changed, because I love Cameron's other films, Abyss, Aliens, being highlights. Believe me, I get no enjoyment from criticizing this one. My big fear with this film is that it will not do as well as intended, and that's a high mark to hit, and push the 3d movement back rather than bring it forward.

Comment

Avatar footage is playing to half-empty theaters:

http://chud.com/articles/articles/20...ERS/Page1.html

I was underwhelmed by the trailer, but I still think the movie could be good. It is James Cameron after all. Isn't Fox notorious for mishandling their films? A lot has changed since the last movie he made for them.

Comment

I wasn't singling you out Terrance. My post was not directed at anyone person. I am only offering my thoughts of what I saw. It's not about piling **** on anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Jules View Post
                          I wasn't singling you out Terrance. My post was not directed at anyone person. I am only offering my thoughts of what I saw. It's not about piling **** on anyone.
                          Fair enough. My bad.
                          @TerranceMulloy

Comment

np

Comment

I just saw the free 15 minutes in 3D and I was absolutely blown away. Never seen anything like it. I can't believe I have to wait until december now to see the whole thing. Halfway through it I found myself smiling like a little kid, it was so much fun to watch. Even the friend I went with who usually doesn't like this type of movie was surprised at how much he enjoyed it.

And not to start anything, but I have no idea what Jules is talking about when he said, "but I don't see this doing anything major hat hasn't been done in the last five years." I've never seen anything else come close to this. How can you possibly be blown away by King Kong and not this? King Kong?

Comment

Working...
                              X