No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Identity Thief

Originally posted by kintnerboy View Post
    Comedy isn't that subjective. Some people are just a55holess.
    That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Of course comedy is subjective. My proof: some people think Dane Cook is hysterical.

Comment

Craig Mazin is extremely gracious with his time helping new writers -- whether that's posting here or contributing to Scriptnotes. It's incredibly rude to come on here and trash his movie BEFORE it's even released.

Not only should we all being seeing his movie this weekend, because that's the closest way we will ever come to re-paying this guy for his hundreds of hours spent here helping us get our heads out of our collective asses, but we should be asking him insight into the process of working with two of the most talented people in comedy today.

/rant
      "Write every day. Don't quit. The rest is all bullshit." - Brian Koppelman

Comment

Originally posted by kintnerboy View Post
        Comedy isn't that subjective. Some people are just a55holess.
        No... it is.

Try finding one person who will laugh at all of:

The Big Bang Theory
        Two and a Half Men
        How I Met Your Mother
        Community
        Parks & Rec
        30 Rock
        Curb Your Enthusiasm
        East Bound & Down
        Archer
        The League
        Always Sunny in Philadelphia
        Wilfred
        Modern Family
        Happy Endings
        Two Broke Girls
        New Girl
        South Park
        Family Guy
        Futurama
        The Simpsons
        Etc.

Think of just how much variety there is in TV land. There are lots of comedy niches. But when you make a feature, suddenly you're trying to capture everyone. Think any one of those shows captures everyone? No. I think the highest rated are the three I put first (or close to), which are the "broadest," but they're my least favorite.

Comment

Congrats Mr. Mazin!

Success... always the best revenge

Top box office this weekend http://movies.yahoo.com/news/eastern...191708117.html

Comment

Originally posted by ChickenScratch View Post
            Congrats Mr. Mazin!

Success... always the best revenge

Top box office this weekend http://movies.yahoo.com/news/eastern...191708117.html
            That's great news!
            Script Revolution - A free to use script hosting website that offers screenwriters a platform to promote their scripts and a way for filmmakers to search through them.

Comment

Originally posted by jboffer View Post
              No... it is.

Think of just how much variety there is in TV land. There are lots of comedy niches. But when you make a feature, suddenly you're trying to capture everyone. Think any one of those shows captures everyone? No. I think the highest rated are the three I put first (or close to), which are the "broadest," but they're my least favorite.
              There's no secret recipe for comedy. You have to try stuff out and see what works.

My point above about subjectivity was in relation to people being dishonest about the motives behind their own opinions. For example, if someone said:

"I really hate that Mellissa McCarthy because she's so comfortable with her obesity and willing to use it for humor. Watching her only reminds me of my own struggles with my body and as a consequence, I project my negative self-image onto her."

or

"I don't like that Will Ferrell. He always mocks President Bush and that I feel like it's mean-spirited and it conflicts with my personal politics."

I would respect that person's right to their opinion, and even if I disagree, I would admire their honesty.

But instead you hear "Completely unfunny.... Most ovverrated ever." Even professional film critics sometimes have trouble tempering their biases. It seems disingenuous to me, is all.

That said, I am completely surprised at the box office for Identity Thief given the weather in the northeast. Good for Craig and everyone else involved. And anyone (like me) trying to sell a comedy.

Comment

I can't wait to check it now that I know Craig wrote it. Now, that's success around here... Way to go!!.

I hope to see the script-- wondering whether he has one or two spaces between sentences. Can you tell that in the movie?
                Last edited by MJ Scribe; 02-11-2013, 07:17 AM.
                " Don't really like writing. But I do like having written." Vince Gilligan, Breaking Bad.

Comment

I think he mentioned on the last podcast that he's going to post it on John August's site in the near future.

Comment

I look forward to reading the spec. I look forward to seeing the movie. There's a lot of good things gone into this production and I expect it to turn out well.

EJ

Comment

As noted previously, you are what the box office says you are, and per Box Office Mojo, Identity Thief Domestic Total as of Feb. 10, 2013: $36,593,000.

Next case.
                      Seven years dungeon --- no trials!

Comment

Congratulations, Craig!!!

You didn't steal America's identity - you stole their hearts!
                        "The Hollywood film business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Yes, congratz to Craig and if I may say, very impressive opening.

And as a fan of Jason Bateman since 'It's Your Move,' I'm glad to see him enjoy some box office success as well.
                          The best way out is always through. - Robert Frost

Comment

Originally posted by tucsonray View Post
                            As noted previously, you are what the box office says you are, and per Box Office Mojo, Identity Thief Domestic Total as of Feb. 10, 2013: $36,593,000.

Next case.
                            Great opening! Not an established IP as well, which is good news for all of us.

Audience was roaring when i saw it.

Congrats!

"I talked to a couple of yes men at Metro. To me they said no."

http://wagstaffnet.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by madworld View Post
                              http://www.deadline.com/2012/09/iden...rsal-pictures/

This looks pretty funny. Congrats to Craig.
                              Craig Mazin. Mention the man's full name, please. If he's not writing, he's posting here.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0563301/
                              "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

Enjoyed the movie. I'm happy the antagonist changed. Beyond the waterworks scene -- which was very good -- it was heartwarming that she chose to turn herself in even though she knew she didn't have to.

My milkshake is betta dan yours.... (can't get that outta my head)

Comment

Working...
                                X