No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: favorite Stoner Comedies

Originally posted by SimplyE View Post
    why wouldn't you want to try and sell it?

--business not taking stoner comedies seriously enough or something?
    There's a couple of reasons.

I have a great job now that pays well and isn't demanding, so it isn't like I'm hoping to win that lottery by breaking into Hollywood. I have neither the time nor the inclination to jump through all the hoops in a futile effort to try to get someone in Hollywood to even look at my work, much less buy it. I don't have any contacts and don't live there, and have zero interest in living in LA.

I write for myself because I enjoy writing and enjoy the challenge writing a screenplay with the page limits presents. I could write a novel, but anyone can tell a story in an unlimited number of pages. Getting down to under 120 is trickier. I've filmed a few of the things I've written, so I've lived that dream of seeing something I wrote on screen. I've adapted novels I've read into screenplays and miniseries just to see if I could. Some worked, some didn't, but I gave it a go.

Even if I were to manage to sell something, and even though I know that at least one version of my work exists encased in amber and that the suits can neve change the copy I have, do I really want a bunch of suits mucking around with the stuff I create? Changing the characters I build out of clay to suit the needs of an actor or changing the ending to make it more commercial, or building spinoffs and sequels and take the characters in places I don't want them to go? There's a reason I made the characters the way I did and don't want to see them mangled by people who count beans and don't even try to see the subtext of the story.

For me, screenwriting is a hobby. It's not my dream, it's not what I want to do when I grow up, I just enjoy writing and I enjoy movies and it's just something I can do in my spare time that combines the two. I come to places like this site because I want to get better at it, not because I'm trying to hone my craft so i can live Barton Fink and Entourage.

Comment

Is HALF BAKED too on the nose? GRANDMA'S BOY is pretty good too.
      Last edited by mge457; 02-11-2013, 12:27 AM.
      "Write every day. Don't quit. The rest is all bullshit." - Brian Koppelman

Comment

Originally posted by kenklmn View Post
        It wasn't intended as a comedy, but I'd put REEFER MADNESS at the top of the list.
        The musical version is a blast. Pretty much the only musical I can sit through.
        "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Most stoner comedies to date are dumb and you need to be high to like them. Show me a good stoner comedy that you can enjoy sober, one that appeals to stoners of all ages, and I'll show you a real money maker.

Comment

The Big Lebowski, H&K Go to White Castle and Half Baked are really great stoner comedies. Agree that BL isn't exactly a stoner comedy; it's more a noir/detective story w/an unlikely protagonist who's a stoner.

I don't know if stoner comedies are selling much these days. Here in CA, weed is practically legal and it doesn't have that counter-culture feel that it used to have back in the Up in Smoke days. I think people would rather smell weed smoke than cigarette smoke.

Comment

Re: Favorite Stoner Comedies

I'm surprised nobody here mentioned any of the first four Cheech & Chong films. Up In Smoke and Next Movie are fun. Plus, Reefer Madness and Assassin Of Youth.

As for writing one, I wrote one where an senior citizen, not wanting to die in an retirement home, travels with his grandson and friends to a marijuana farm.
              "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

I love Harold and Kumar. And you probably wouldn't peg me as the type of person who would when you meet me. And yes, I have watched them unstoned.

Comment

Originally posted by Pasquali56 View Post
                  Most stoner comedies to date are dumb and you need to be high to like them. Show me a good stoner comedy that you can enjoy sober, one that appeals to stoners of all ages, and I'll show you a real money maker.
                  As I mentioned above - Idiocracy. (As to why it made no money, there was a rather odd marketing problem between Mike Judge and Fox, apparently.)

Originally posted by carcar View Post
                  I love Harold and Kumar. And yes, I have watched them unstoned.
                  I agree - as to the first H&K movie. The second one seemed, at best, aimed only at those who toked before ticketing. (I haven't seen their Xmas movie, but it's somewhere on my Netflix list.)

Comment

Originally posted by Manchester View Post
                    As I mentioned above - Idiocracy. (As to why it made no money, there was a rather odd marketing problem between Mike Judge and Fox, apparently.)
                    Fox purposedly wanted the film to be a cult classic, which is **** dumb because it's the audience that's in the position.
                    "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

Originally posted by Madbandit View Post
                      Fox purposedly wanted the film to be a cult classic, which is **** dumb because it's the audience that's in the position.
                      There's no way for me to know what the real story is/isn't, but the stuff I've read about it was intriguing/amusing. Especially the notion that it wasn't marketed because the marketing guys couldn't figure out how to market it.

http://www.slate.com/id/2157421/
                      http://cinematicallycorrect.wordpres...ing-a-reality/
                      http://www.time.com/time/printout/0,...533437,00.html
                      http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,1535076,00.html
                      http://sergioleoneifr.blogspot.com/2...-for-dumb.html

The last one is the most detailed - long.

Comment

Not really on topic, but just wanted to brag that a film I produced (The Wackness) won the 2008 High Times Stony Award for Best Drama.

Comment

THE WACKNESS, of course!

I remember that film. It was a big deal (no pun intended... well, maybe a little pun...)

! Congratulations!
                          Seven years dungeon --- no trials!

Comment

I loved The Wackness, too! I had a master class with Ben Kingsley many years ago and was rendered virtually speechless with awe, so it was just wonderful to see him baked and funny. And I always thought there was more to Josh Peck, when he would grow out of the Disney demographic. Thank you for giving him the chance to prove it.

Comment

Love The Wackness! But how the hell has no one named FRIDAY? The ultimate stoner comedy. Everyone can quote that movie. Classic.

Dazed and Confused it classic too. Mcconaughey and his classic line about high school girls.

Comment

"The Stoned Age" starring the bad guy from Powder. (And that's it)

Nowadays the only memorable scenes involve Officer Dean constantly trying to talk straight with the dumb stoners he's busting.

"You think I didn't want to get stoned and sneak into some girls house when I was your age? Hell, they used to call me doggy-door Dean...I was a good second story man too."

"You think I didn't want to get drunk and piss in some guys pool when I was your age? Hell, they used to call me quick-d*ck Dean."

And so on.

Comment

Working...
                                X