Things I see over and over in amateur writing...

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Things I see over and over in amateur writing...

Originally posted by JeffLowell View Post
    I'm up for posting both sets of notes in public (if the writer agrees), so people beyond the writer can follow along. Again, the only reason for me to do this is that it may provide some educational value.
    Agreed! The script and the notes should be public. If it's KEEP TALKING, I'll post both versions if people are interested.
    Just my 2 cents, your mileage may vary.

-Steve Trautmann
    3rd & Fairfax: The WGAW Podcast

Comment

I had my kids choose a number between 1 and 3 and they chose 3. I guess I should've seen that coming since they are triplets.

Can we do it after the new year? I have acfeatureclevth script and a TV pilot on my plate that people are paying me to read. I feel like I should give them my attention first. How about we read the pilot the week of Monday Jan 1st?

Comment

Originally posted by Cyfress View Post
        Can we do it after the new year? I have a feature length script and a TV pilot on my plate that people are paying me to read. I feel like I should give them my attention first. How about we read the pilot the week of Monday Jan 1st?
        Perfect. I've been meaning to give it another pass. I always liked the premise, and podcasting is near and dear to my heart. I'll post the single-cam version New Year's day. The notes should be posted by the end of that week. Agreed?

-Steve Trautmann

Comment

So we are posting under our usernames? People won't be impartial. Is there a way to have a third party post both sets of notes?

Comment

So we are posting under our usernames? People won't be impartial. Is there a way to have a third party post both sets of notes?
            I could compile and post, or perhaps the moderator...

-Steve Trautmann

Comment

I guess I'll just trust that there are no PMs going on saying which notes are which so one set can just get tanked with criticism. Cause I know how much people are at least rooting for me to have a good performance.

What a great story that would be if there was this huge conspiracy that I traced all the way up to Will. Moohaha!!! Of course the story would have no turning points and no big moments cause we'd want it to be good. Just a joke Jeff, I know your scripts had turning points and big moments, probably wouldn't work with a Studio without them, but you'd know plenty more than me about that.

Comment

Cyfress, you're already saying you know you won't win, and accusing this whole thing of being a setup on a challenge you initiated. If you don't want to do this, say so. If you want to go ahead, maybe hold off on being a sore loser before we start.

Comment

I absolutely concur with Jeff's last post. In the poker world we refer to Cyfress' back tracking as a "verbal freeroll". Often associated with a bad call, wherein the player says, "Well I know you got me but I'm gonna call anyway." It's the worst.

Some kind of mental trick to convince yourself you were right, even as evidence bears out the error in your thoughts.

I wouldn't go forward with this Jeff, if I were you.

You have been plagued by far too many Cyfress' over the years and "challenges" like this will never really convince the nay sayers that your opinion is one they should try to learn from, rather than argue with.

I have made far more progress in my writing over the years finding the tidbits from sites such as Done Deal that I can use to improve my writing rather than finding places to argue with people.
                  Eric
                  www.scriptreadguaranteed.com

Comment

Nut balls!!! I just read through my last version of Keep Talking, and it wasn't as bad as I feared. I'm ready to go, Gentlemen. Let's do this.

-Steve Trautmann

Comment

Calm down, Jeff. I expect to do a good job with the pilot. I challenged you Jeff. I wouldn't entertain a challenge with someone where I thought I had no shot. I expect you to take this very seriously and do a good job on your notes, I am going to do the same. Who wins and who loses I guess we'll see. But you do notice I wasn't scared to challenge you, and if I invited all others here that advertise a note service here on DD, I expect to hear crickets, cause they know the gap between the quality of your notes to theirs is gigantic. I don't think the gap between ours is that big and I expect we will mention some of the same things to Kitchona. So, don't abandon your training Jeff, the fight is on.

Comment

Harbak, you're undoubtedly right, but Steve's putting himself out there, so I'll stick to my word. Someone nominate themselves to be the keeper of the notes - Cyfress and I can send notes, and that person can post them without revealing who wrote what, so Steve can react without prejudice.

In fact, Cyfress: you pick a person to mail the notes to, so you don't have to worry about conspiracies.

Comment

...I expect we will mention some of the same things to Kitchona.
                          Please, call me "Steve."

-Steve Trautmann

Comment

Originally posted by KitchonaSteve View Post
                            Sorry to drag out a hobby horse, but this is a pet peeve of mine. Aristotle and his writings in The Poetics doesn't really match up with this 3-Act stuff
                            If, through your research and analysis, you strongly believe that people misinterpreted Aristotle's writings of "A whole is that which has a Beginning, Middle, and End," then I can accept that. Thank you for pointing that out.

About this Jeff and Cyfress challenge. I do not believe it's a good idea. Not because I believe Cyfress is an inferior reviewer. I believe Cyfress is a competent reviewer. I also believe this demonstration has a great educational value.

I do not believe it's a good idea because Cyfress can't handle any public criticism. Just look at this thread and other threads to his reaction whenever someone challenged him on something he said.

Cyfress will post and say he's fine. It's all fine and good.

No, Cyfress, in my opinion, it's not a good idea and I ask that for your mental well being you do not proceed with this challenge. I also ask Will and Jeff to not proceed with this exercise.

Comment

Joe, when people debate two sides of a coin, they challenge each other. What criticism are you talking about? When somebody tells me I have no idea what I am talking about and I respond?

So if someone challenges something I said and actually makes claims about me that I actually never said, should I just say, 'Thank you, can I have another?'

I'll double up on the Prozac that week, ok?

EDITED TO ADD:

Are we doing a page count limit? This is a 30 minute Pilot episode? Should we do 3 - 5 pages max? Jeff, do you see yourself writing three paragraphs or three pages? Or does it matter?
                              Last edited by Cyfress; 12-27-2017, 06:13 AM.

Comment

I'm going to say everything I have to say that seems helpful. I'm guessing it won't be more than a couple of pages, but maybe I'll be inspired.

Comment

Working...
                                X