How do you make a good impression on that first meeting?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How do you make a good impression on that first meeting?

Originally posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
    It could be almost anything...

"How was your weekend, do anything fun?"

"Got any trips planned for the summer?"

"I noticed that photo on your wall, super cool, what's the story behind that?"

"I listened to the interview you did on that podcast, really enjoyed what you had to say."

"I noticed your sunglasses, those are dope, who makes 'em?"

"Great view from your office, ahhh I can see ___ from here, ever been?"

It could be almost anything.

You could say "I'm a bit of a foodie." Personally, I'd latch onto that. "Oh, cool, me too... what are some of your favorite restaurants? You watch any of the foodie shows?" BOOM! 10 minutes of your meeting talking about food. They love that. Breaks up their day, and now you're building rapport.

When I get the statement (because it's not actually a fukkin question) "So, tell us about yourself..." I say "In what regard, writing, where I grew up, what my favorite color is, dog or cat guy?" I seriously say **** like that with a smile. Hopefully they laugh. If they don't, I've just learned what kind of room this is.

And... this is probably cheesy, but I don't care: When I'm asked "Would you like anything to drink?" I say "Sure, I'll take a beer, or tequila if you've got it." One time the dude was like "Serious? I have a bottle of whiskey." Cool, I'll take it neat. I'll assume the meeting went well.

Meetings I fukkin hate (but others might love). LOT MEETINGS. Fukkin HATE 'em. I don't find it exciting to be on the lot. Ever been to Amblin? It's a b!tch to get to. "Wait, am I going the right way? Sh!t, am I supposed to be driving right here?" Security "No! It's THAT way!" Okay, I think this is it, fukk, can I park here? Etc. Hate it.

Favorite meeting place: Soho House. It's chill, relaxed. I'd way rather meet for coffee or drinks the first time in a casual setting.

All very good tips. In life, laughers are easier to know. People who are chill just make you feel more comfortable right up. It's easier when you can crack a silly joke and they're receptive to that. LOL, well myabe you're a veteran.... Soho house sounds great to me. And some of those lots are truly beautiful like the Disney lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Satriales View Post
      I had my fourth meeting of the day at like 1:00 in the afternoon in BH. Was meeting a producer outside the Starbucks on Olympic. My first two meetings I took coffee and my mouth was gross. So I popped the trunk on my rental and got my toothbrush out. (I was headed to LAX after) And I'm standing there brushing my teeth standing under the hood. The producer - I know what he looks like - he doesn't know me - comes walking past and we make eye contact. He gives me a disgusted look for this display of vagrancy. I'm like oh sh1t. So I roll up to the Starbucks three minutes later and he's standing there and he gives me this look, like the once over. He sniffs and says "well you don't dress like a writer- which I took as the highest of compliments. At the end of the meeting it had gone well and I was like "did you see me brushing my teeth?- And he's like "Jesus Christ that was you?-

How did he take it when you revealed that to him? I've seen people take their tooth brush to coffee shops and restaurants. Usually gets a funny look. But, then again, you still want to be minty fresh.

Comment

Originally posted by Friday View Post
        All very good tips. In life, laughers are easier to know. People who are chill just make you feel more comfortable right up. It's easier when you can crack a silly joke and they're receptive to that. LOL, well myabe you're a veteran.... Soho house sounds great to me. And some of those lots are truly beautiful like the Disney lot.
        Nope! I'm no veteran, unless you mean failed to get sh!t made a billion times. LOL

But, yeah, if someone gives you a choice between SoHo House and some boring office, SoHo house EVERY time. Would actually be a chill place to write. For all I know some of the A-List writers do exactly that... I could live there.

Also... have I said this already? Yeah, I've had meetings where I'm like "Dude... this fukker is a weirdo and way too serious." I try to keep it light, even though I write dark sh!t.
        Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

Comment

Nope! I'm no veteran, unless you mean failed to get sh!t made a billion times. LOL

But, yeah, if someone gives you a choice between SoHo House and some boring office, SoHo house EVERY time. Would actually be a chill place to write. For all I know some of the A-List writers do exactly that... I could live there.

Also... have I said this already? Yeah, I've had meetings where I'm like "Dude... this fukker is a weirdo and way too serious." I try to keep it light, even though I write dark sh!t.
          I actually kind of like SoHo House too, but because it's not "cool" to like it, probably 90% of the meetings I've had there have begun with lengthy apologies for the meeting spot and soul-searching soliloquies in the vein of, "Gawd, I hate the place. So terrible. So Hollywood. If there's a center of hell on earth, no question, this is the center of the center. I just keep my membership cuz it's just central, people expect it, you know, keeps things easy. You gotta pick your battles. Oh, is that Brad? Hi, Brad! Oh wait, that's not Brad. That's some other schmuck. So where were we? What's this meeting about again?"

Comment

Originally posted by AnyOtherName View Post
            I actually kind of like SoHo House too, but because it's not "cool" to like it, probably 90% of the meetings I've had there have begun with lengthy apologies for the meeting spot and soul-searching soliloquies in the vein of, "Gawd, I hate the place. So terrible. So Hollywood. If there's a center of hell on earth, no question, this is the center of the center. I just keep my membership cuz it's just central, people expect it, you know, keeps things easy. You gotta pick your battles. Oh, is that Brad? Hi, Brad! Oh wait, that's not Brad. That's some other schmuck. So where were we? What's this meeting about again?"
            Ha!

Liars! You know they love it there.

But, I'm not boujee. You wanna meet at Frolic Room or some sh!thole dive bar? I'm down! El Carmen? Def, lemme school you on some rad tequilas. Beach? Fo sho, feel like surfing? Brian Grazer does! At the friggin park? Yeah, sure, bring your dog! Love me some fur babies! Anywhere but an office is my first choice... I'm not really that impressed that you have a desk and an assistant. LOL

Speaking of. This is an example of that and how stupid it is: So, I email someone I know (producer). He responds. I go to reply. WAIT!!! Did he fukkin CC two other execs below him in on this? Oh sh!t he did. Dude, WHY? This was meant to be off grid. Just to show off that you're the boss now? Dude, chill, I know you're the big cheese now. You going sideways on me... WTF!?

Anyway, personally, I'd use ANY excuse to get outta the office.
            Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

Comment

Originally posted by Satriales View Post
              Hey, I have a pair of those! They just moved up in the rotation now.

Comment

Your LOOK: Try to look like your character without looking like you're TRYING.

Example: I just wrote John Wick (in my fukkin wet dreams) I'm wearing all black to meet a rep. I have a 5 0'clock shadow, I look hungover, but I'm sharp, I'm entertaining. In other words "I'M HIM! YOU ARE MEETING JOHN WICK. RIGHT NOW." To the rep (or exec). That's kinda what they want to feel like, like they're meeting a dynamic celebrity. These people are used to celebrity and big dynamic personalities. If you wrote a black comedy, dress like Spike Jones or Wes Anderson. Feel me? Look at Tarantino. He's a nerd, but he's fukkin sharp. Be sharp.

Let them drive the convo, overall your job in this meeting is to answer the questions they ask. But first, YOU drive it (confidence... says "I'm good in a room. Bruh, I ain't nervous."). Drive it for exactly the first 60 seconds. Then let them take over. If they're trying to sign you, THEY are pitching YOU (i.e. "Here's what I can do for you. But, take your time and think about if I'm what you're looking for." To that, you say "Ok cool, great sitting down with you!")

Backing up: Questions they'll ask.

1) What was your inspiration for this script (have a rad backstory).

2) What else you got (have several ideas you can rattle off. Doesn't need to be actual ideas just, I'd like to write something that deals with ___, ___, and ___." All of these ideas are in the same or similar genre as the script they dug.

3) What are your favorite movies/what movie do you wish you could have written and think you would have nailed it.

4) Are you interested in TV? If so, got any ideas?

Generally, just don't be weird and nervous. If you don't have an answer don't panic and say stupid sh!t to fill the air. Just say, "I don't have that yet." But say it with conviction as if it's not a problem, like "No worries, I'll/we'll figure it out."

Off the top of my head...
                I know this is like 5 years later, but thanks for that reply this advice! Loved it. Really cool to see you're still active here.

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post

coming from experience of sitting in hundreds of meetings (not industry)
                  • wear what is comfortable and makes you feel good about how you look. you're the only one that can determine that. if you're comfortable with what you're wearing you won't LOOK awkward.
                  • do give the host a compliment, smile and walk in the room and shake their hand with enough firmness that they feel it, but not TOO much that they FEEL it.
                  • look them in the eyes when they speak to you (especially when you shake their hand) and try not to look away or drop your eyes. look directly at them.
                  • try not to jump in and interrupt them. listen carefully to what they're saying and offer a thoughtful response.
                  • do not BASH any movies, writers or producers. do not. you don't know who this person knows or what their relationship is with them.
                  • engage (eye contact) with everyone in the room. no one wants to feel excluded form the conversation. focus on the person speaking. wait your turn to speak and speak clearly, and you might have to slow down. i'm from Connecticut and i speak really really fast.

i gave a presentation for 13 VPs of a company and my boss had told me over and over to SLOW down. when i finished the presentation with probably 50 people in the room, the EVP said, that was the fastest presentation he'd ever seen. the point? you'll be jacked up, so you might get a little hyper from nervousness.
                  • Shonda Rhimes has good advise, practice your pitch (or your "talk") at two-times speed and with loud music and you should be able to deliver no matter what happens in the room. even if someone breaks your train of thought.
                  • research the person you're meeting with, it might make an opportunity for you to compliment them on their work and show your respect for their craft. find something interesting just in case.
                  • don't fidget, no toe-tapping, leg bouncing, no hand ringing. bring tissues in case you SNEEZE. sit up straight, don't slouch. wear clean underwear.
                  • be inclusive. be attentive, be sincere, and most of all, be yourself. relax and enjoy the moment. you've worked hard for it and you should enjoy it.
                  • bring a notebook, just in case you want to make a note. pull it out have it at the ready. turn your phone off and do not take it out. leave it in briefcase.
                  • ask people for their business cards.
                  • shake their hand at the end with two hand (i do this when i feel i connected well with someone) THANK THEM, and tell them you enjoyed meeting with them and you're looking forward to seeing them again.
                  • make a cheat sheet or index card on each host that you're meeting with. get to the meeting early, run through their index card so you feel comfortable that you know who you're meeting with.

that's a good start.
                  Solid advice. Wow. Thank you

Comment

Your LOOK: Try to look like your character without looking like you're TRYING.

Example: I just wrote John Wick (in my fukkin wet dreams) I'm wearing all black to meet a rep. I have a 5 0'clock shadow, I look hungover, but I'm sharp, I'm entertaining. In other words "I'M HIM! YOU ARE MEETING JOHN WICK. RIGHT NOW." To the rep (or exec). That's kinda what they want to feel like, like they're meeting a dynamic celebrity. These people are used to celebrity and big dynamic personalities. If you wrote a black comedy, dress like Spike Jones or Wes Anderson. Feel me? Look at Tarantino. He's a nerd, but he's fukkin sharp. Be sharp.
                    This is absolutely hilarious.

Comment

Voice 101.

Comment

Originally posted by Northbank View Post

This is absolutely hilarious.
                        He was always a breath of fresh air, in his various incarnations.Too bad his apparitions were always brief.

Comment

Originally posted by Rantanplan View Post

He was always a breath of fresh air, in his various incarnations.Too bad his apparitions were always brief.
                          He was the active poster we needed, but not the one we deserved.

Comment

Working...
                          X