X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Screenplay Mechanic (EvilRbt)

Originally posted by YakMan View Post
    QUESTION: With the PAGE and TrackingB TV contests coming up, do you do 60pps. 1-Hour TV PILOT reads as well? And if so, should we contact you directly for rates? Or doyahwanna post some right here for thoz how might be in'trested? Thanks!
    I read TV pilots for $55.
    NOTES / COVERAGE
    15,000+ Screenplays
    [email protected]

Comment

Experienced my first ever dissatisfied customer today! In light of his complaint, I should point out that standard screenplay coverage DOES NOT include a full proofread complete with a list of typos and grammatical errors.

I also highly recommend running spell-check within Final Draft before giving your script to anyone.

BTW, turnaround time on coverage right now is 6-7 days. Seems a lot of you guys have new specs ready. (Just read a great horror spec by Jim Mitchell. You on here, Jim?)
      Last edited by EvilRbt; 02-12-2010, 01:21 PM.
      NOTES / COVERAGE
      15,000+ Screenplays
      [email protected]

Comment

So what can this coverage do for me?

Will it be passed on to anyone special?

Comment

Originally posted by T.W. View Post

It will elevate your writing. That's priceless.
          If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.
          Dave Barry

Comment

Look, there are analysts out there who promise such things but I don't advertise or offer to pass scripts on to anybody. I merely offer coverage, i.e. constructive feedback (inc. synopsis) for a very fair rate.

That said, if your script blows me away, I do have many contacts I can pass it on to. In fact, I am producing a script which came through my website several months ago. I passed it on to a director friend and now the star of a hit TV show wants the lead role. So good do things do happen if a script is genuinely great.

But don't submit your script to me expecting that to happen. Submit it because you want feedback. Anything else is a bonus.
            NOTES / COVERAGE
            15,000+ Screenplays
            [email protected]

Comment

It will do for you what you take from it. It's quality coverage, but you will get from it only what you decide to. Most people agree you will get a lot from his work.

I'd highly recommend the service and will be using him again.
              http://thekillbox.wordpress.com/

Comment

I'll be using ER's services as long as he offers them. He makes each script better with each pass. As far as my scripts go that is...

SMASH TO:

BLACK

Comment

It will make your script better. It really is like having a reader at a studio cover your script, for the generous price he charges - it's definitely worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by S.T.0 View Post
                    It will make your script better. It really is like having a reader at a studio cover your script, for the generous price he charges - it's definitely worth it.
                    100% agree. He doesn't just grade the script, he gives detailed instructions (working well above and beyond his fee...oops, I shouldn't have said that) that hone in on the script's weaknesses.

I definitely will be back.
                    PuppyTummy.com

Comment

Would be good to see a sample of his work.
                      It's the eye of the Tiger, it's the thrill of the fight

Comment

Originally posted by Jules View Post
                        Not exactly hard to find...

http://www.screenplaymechanic.com/samples.html

Comment

Originally posted by MrEarbrass View Post
                          Yep, there are samples on my website. However, they're samples of very basic coverage for studio execs. I don't share the coverage I do for writer clients but it's a little more in-depth and constructive.
                          NOTES / COVERAGE
                          15,000+ Screenplays
                          [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by Jules View Post
                            If you want samples of coverage he has done for me just shoot me a PM. I'm happy to share. He's that good.
                            If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.
                            Dave Barry

Comment

Take some advice: Use Andrew. Solid notes and great observations. I should know, he got my script off the ground. He's a good man and a helluva reader.

Thanks Andrew.
                              Introduce a little anarchy.

Comment

I tried The Screenplay Mechanic and have to say I like the professional feel of the notes he sends back.

I sent my script to someone else and they sent my coverage back mispelling my name twice (in two different ways) with lots of typos in their coverage. I got a consider from them but what is that worth if you don't trust their opinion. I think at the end of the day you have to find someone who's opinion you trust ahead of time. That way when you get the notes back, you won't be like "what do they know!" I trust The Screenplay Mechanic's opinion based on his track record (has sold a script and has done a lot of coverage on some big name scripts).

As far as the coverage being professional, I really like the first page that gives a quick scorecard on 6 key areas, rating the overall script.

The Project: pass l consider
                                The Writer: pass l consider

Premise: excellent l good l fair l poor
                                Characterization: excellent l good l fair l poor
                                Dialogue: excellent l good l fair l poor
                                Storyline: excellent l good l fair l poor

It's really neat to look on the first page and see category ranks like this on your script. Even if you get poor marks, it's motivating like in school to try to get a higher grade.

Having a synopsis is good to see because I read that a lot of scripts are sold based on their synopsis. It also helps you see how much meat (substance) is in your script. At the same time, if you are on an early draft of a script, the synopsis may not be as beneficial if you have to make a lot of changes. And the synopsis overall is not going to make your script that much better because it's telling you back what you already know.

The real value in my opinion are in the notes and I've found that him and another well known script analyst picked up on the same key points. This leads me to believe that they both know what they are talking about because they are answering to some sort of universal Hollywood Reader code. Chances are his opinions will be the same as the Hollywood Reader you send your script to. I recommended a friend to him and we shared note details and I think the notes will really help you become a better writer across the board. The notes you get back can be applied to not just that script but future projects so you don't keep making the same mistakes over and over again. I also like how for my friend he named a few movies that were similar. He also named a good thriller movie for me that explores a similar concept. I think that is something a real movie fan would do. If you go to a movie fan and tell them your story, they'll likely come back and say "you should really watch this movie". So that was an added bonus, knowing that he's seen enough films that he might be able to name something similar or tell you if it's possibly been done before.

Overall I recommend using his service. Plus he seems like a nice guy.
                                Last edited by TonyDFW; 02-13-2010, 01:15 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X