Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Butter...

...is easily one of my most favorite scripts I've ever read (out of around 300 or so.) It's funny. Entertaining. Engaging/charming and imaginative. Fantastic writing, with a great, solid voice. Easily fits into my top 10. At least top 15.

I found it curious, though, that in the script it seemed Destiny was the central character, but in the film, it felt like the story revolved around Jen Garner's character. Not sure why they decided to approach it like that. I also had a hard time with some of the casting but whatev.

Anyway, loved the script and liked/enjoyed the film.

Re: Butter...

Originally posted by bjamin View Post
    I found it curious, though, that in the script it seemed Destiny was the central character, but in the film, it felt like the story revolved around Jen Garner's character. Not sure why they decided to approach it like that.
    because Jen Garner is the star talent that likely attracted the money that allowed them to actually turn the script into a movie. you don't pay money for the name talent to not be the central character

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBanks View Post
      because Jen Garner is the star talent that likely attracted the money that allowed them to actually turn the script into a movie. you don't pay money for the name talent to not be the central character
      which is unfortunate because, I feel, it did a disservice to the story/film.

The world was built for this little girl, and I think it damaged the film when they changed that. So instead of a meek, little girl competing against this ruthless, mean old woman, it became, this movie star competing against a little girl and by doing that, frayed the very fabric the story was initially woven with. In my eyes, anyway. With that said, I understand why they made that decision, but I think it back fired on 'em. JMHO.

Comment

Still enjoyed the film. Had not read the script first.

There may be other reasons that they chose to focus more on the adult character rather than the child. Funny, this cross-references another reply I just made. Child actors can't work as long. And most of them don't have the range that an adult has. So it may not entirely be a movie-star driven choice.

Comment

Originally posted by carcar View Post
          Still enjoyed the film.
          Having Olivia Wilde get around town via a BMX was shear brilliance.

Comment

Genius. The scene in the car between the kid and her foster dad was cute.

Comment

Originally posted by nativeson View Post
              Genius. The scene in the car between the kid and her foster dad was cute.
              racist ninjas. One of the best lines ever.

Her adoptive dad did a great job in this film. He took the part and made it his own= worked out perfectly.

Comment

Good to see others who enjoyed this movie as well. Man, I really got into this film. I would love to read the script. I saw it streaming on Netflix on a whim one night last summer and was pleasantly surprised.
                I rock it for Jesus and I'm in love.

Dreaming the impossible dream, working towards realizing it one day at a time.

http://johnnyatthemovies.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by bjamin View Post
                  ...is easily one of my most favorite scripts I've ever read (out of around 300 or so.) It's funny. Entertaining. Engaging/charming and imaginative. Fantastic writing, with a great, solid voice. Easily fits into my top 10. At least top 15.
                  I'm with you all the way on this. Great, great, great script. So much so that I'm kind of terrified of watching the film after all the negative buzz it has gotten.

Comment

Originally posted by gpolin View Post
                    I'm with you all the way on this. Great, great, great script. So much so that I'm kind of terrified of watching the film after all the negative buzz it has gotten.
                    I was too, and after seeing it I was totally confused as to why people were so hostile towards it. It's charming, very funny, and terrific performances all around.

Comment

Working...
                    X