Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Loading

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2019, 11:17 PM   #21
TravisPickle
Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 316
Default Re: You're a producer, fo realz???

On a scale from one to ******* you are barely skimming the surface of the pathological shittiness that pervades our industry.

A decade ago I was in Paris as an exchange student, living the dream and studying film. A young, hot Hollywood producer read a draft of a script I wrote. She liked it but wanted to make it more Bourne identity. Gave me a bunch of very vague notes, of course she didn’t pay me a penny, but she was checking in regularly asking when I would have a draft ready. I sacrificed three months of my Parisian experience to sit in the kitchen of the apartment I was renting (the only room with wifi) and pound away thinking that this was my big break. I sent it to her. She didn’t like it. But what’s worse is: she didn’t even have the dignity to respond. She had her assistant drop me a rote two line email and then vanished. I will never forget that and I sincerely hope to cross paths with her so I can tell her what a pigfuk she was. Blew three months of my Parisian experience just because she half-assedly cooked up a note whilst taking a Monday morning monster shite.

Three things I’ve concluded:

1) producers think that this is normal behavior and therefore they act this way in a perverted attempt to emulate those who are successful and act this way. It’s the same reason why young producers will scream or throw things or act without a basic moral code. They read an article about Scott Rudin and they think ”oh ok. That’s how you play this game”. What they don’t realize is that there are many producers who keep their decency and still manage to be successful. They’re making a choice and so can you by not working with dip shits.

2) producers are so used to blaring out bullshit a la “I am so excited!“ ... “this will be huge”... “you’re gonna kill it” that when the dice is rolled and they come up short they’re basically left standing with their coks in their hands. So they wriggle their way into the shadows and hope that you forget all about it when it falls apart because inevitably they fear that you might point the finger at them for making grandiose and unfounded promises.

3) you have more power than you think. The power to never work with people who don’t act correctly, first and foremost. Getting ghosted might sting at the beginning, but you will get a weird thrill out of adding names to your kill list a.k.a. your list of people you will never ever ever consider working with. When you have that hot script that everybody wants to read, you will make a point to your agent that the bastard who ignored you doesn’t deserve to even know the log line to your latest masterpiece. Petty and vindictive , sure. But as Ferris would say “then again. So is high school”

You also have the power to pick up the phone or sit at your email and politely tell somebody to go **** themselves. I know this is probably not a wise decision politically, but people do this all the time and it actually might make you stronger in the long run. Because that producer will know that you are a temperamental unstable writer – also known as a genius.


Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
I don't get this and never will:

So, a friend of mine intros me to a producer. He responds "Would love to read, will take a look this weekend."

Me: "Great. Look forward to your thoughts!"

WHAT THE FUKK EVER... basic b!tch response.

Dude flat out GHOSTS me. Dude never returns. Seriously? Who does business this way? Don't worry bro, never gonna check in with you. Our relationship is permanently dead. Tells me a fukk ton about someone's work ethic. That's a dude who would never get your back. Someone burns me like that, peace!

My gripe is... WHY am I the more professional one in ALL of these scenarios? Thought I was the flakey artist dude? Meanwhile I hand the script in on time or early. I communicate exactly when I say I will. I'm on my game hardcore. These people that much of a pu$$y? Bruh, just be like "Not for me man, later!" Okay, no worries bruh, been through this a billion times.

This industry is unnecessarily rude.
TravisPickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 11:48 PM   #22
GucciGhostXXX
Member
 
GucciGhostXXX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 1,281
Default Re: You're a producer, fo realz???

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisPickle View Post
On a scale from one to ******* you are barely skimming the surface of the pathological shittiness that pervades our industry.

A decade ago I was in Paris as an exchange student, living the dream and studying film. A young, hot Hollywood producer read a draft of a script I wrote. She liked it but wanted to make it more Bourne identity. Gave me a bunch of very vague notes, of course she didn’t pay me a penny, but she was checking in regularly asking when I would have a draft ready. I sacrificed three months of my Parisian experience to sit in the kitchen of the apartment I was renting (the only room with wifi) and pound away thinking that this was my big break. I sent it to her. She didn’t like it. But what’s worse is: she didn’t even have the dignity to respond. She had her assistant drop me a rote two line email and then vanished. I will never forget that and I sincerely hope to cross paths with her so I can tell her what a pigfuk she was. Blew three months of my Parisian experience just because she half-assedly cooked up a note whilst taking a Monday morning monster shite.

Three things I’ve concluded:

1) producers think that this is normal behavior and therefore they act this way in a perverted attempt to emulate those who are successful and act this way. It’s the same reason why young producers will scream or throw things or act without a basic moral code. They read an article about Scott Rudin and they think ”oh ok. That’s how you play this game”. What they don’t realize is that there are many producers who keep their decency and still manage to be successful. They’re making a choice and so can you by not working with dip shits.

2) producers are so used to blaring out bullshit a la “I am so excited!“ ... “this will be huge”... “you’re gonna kill it” that when the dice is rolled and they come up short they’re basically left standing with their coks in their hands. So they wriggle their way into the shadows and hope that you forget all about it when it falls apart because inevitably they fear that you might point the finger at them for making grandiose and unfounded promises.

3) you have more power than you think. The power to never work with people who don’t act correctly, first and foremost. Getting ghosted might sting at the beginning, but you will get a weird thrill out of adding names to your kill list a.k.a. your list of people you will never ever ever consider working with. When you have that hot script that everybody wants to read, you will make a point to your agent that the bastard who ignored you doesn’t deserve to even know the log line to your latest masterpiece. Petty and vindictive , sure. But as Ferris would say “then again. So is high school”

You also have the power to pick up the phone or sit at your email and politely tell somebody to go **** themselves. I know this is probably not a wise decision politically, but people do this all the time and it actually might make you stronger in the long run. Because that producer will know that you are a temperamental unstable writer – also known as a genius.

You don't know how much I enjoyed your response. We def think alike!

Smash it bro!
GucciGhostXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 01:50 AM   #23
lostfootage
Regular
 
lostfootage's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 432
Default Re: You're a producer, fo realz???

I liked it too! Travis Pickle, this one is worth saving. Been there, done that.
lostfootage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 03:24 PM   #24
MargoChanning
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chicago area
Posts: 826
Default Re: You're a producer, fo realz???

Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
I don't get this and never will:

So, a friend of mine intros me to a producer. He responds "Would love to read, will take a look this weekend."

Me: "Great. Look forward to your thoughts!"

WHAT THE FUKK EVER... basic b!tch response.

Dude flat out GHOSTS me. Dude never returns. Seriously? Who does business this way? Don't worry bro, never gonna check in with you. Our relationship is permanently dead. Tells me a fukk ton about someone's work ethic. That's a dude who would never get your back. Someone burns me like that, peace!

My gripe is... WHY am I the more professional one in ALL of these scenarios? Thought I was the flakey artist dude? Meanwhile I hand the script in on time or early. I communicate exactly when I say I will. I'm on my game hardcore. These people that much of a pu$$y? Bruh, just be like "Not for me man, later!" Okay, no worries bruh, been through this a billion times.

This industry is unnecessarily rude.
Been there, done that. More than once. They suck.
MargoChanning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 08:49 PM   #25
GucciGhostXXX
Member
 
GucciGhostXXX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 1,281
Default Re: You're a producer, fo realz???

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargoChanning View Post
Been there, done that. More than once. They suck.
Def! Fukkers!
GucciGhostXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 03:45 AM   #26
NotTheBard
User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 61
Default Re: You're a producer, fo realz???

Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
I don't get this and never will:

So, a friend of mine intros me to a producer. He responds "Would love to read, will take a look this weekend."

Me: "Great. Look forward to your thoughts!"

WHAT THE FUKK EVER... basic b!tch response.

Dude flat out GHOSTS me. Dude never returns.

Completely understand this. But you know what's even worse? What's flat out and quite simply utterly disgusting?

When the prod says "Not for me, but if you got anything else you want to send in, do so/send in what you write next." And then you write some other stuff, contact the people who said that, asking if you can send it to them, and then they just say no or ghost you, after the fact.

Last edited by NotTheBard : 08-30-2019 at 08:13 AM.
NotTheBard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 11:42 AM   #27
GucciGhostXXX
Member
 
GucciGhostXXX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 1,281
Default Re: You're a producer, fo realz???

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotTheBard View Post
Completely understand this. But you know what's even worse? What flat out and quite simply utterly disgusting?

When the prod says "Not for me, but if you got anything else you want to send in, do so/send in what you write next." And then you write some other stuff, contact the people who said that, asking if you can send it to them, and then they just say no or ghost you, after the fact.
Yup... lotta crapy stuff happening in the industry.

But, I can maybe top that (not to out do you, just as an example of how crap people can be): I've known 2 producers for 10 years. Hung out as friends, went to their birthday parties etc, introduced to people like "He's fam!" One of them I messaged during the Oscars and said "Good luck, man! Hope you take home gold!" he gets right back to me "Thanks, man! Fingers crossed." But when I ask these 2 guys to read my script? I say, I can send direct or have my rep send........ GHOSTED!

I don't GET this town
GucciGhostXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 08:19 AM   #28
NotTheBard
User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 61
Default Re: You're a producer, fo realz???

Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
Yup... lotta crapy stuff happening in the industry.

I don't GET this town
I understand the situations you mention, and that's indeed completely and utterly a**h**ish behavior. Such d**k moves. Problem is, you don't even have to look into the film industry to come across such atitudes.

Nonetheless, the problem with the things I mentioned from personal experience ("What you wrote not for me, but send in what you have next") is that it is clearly representative of disturbingly cruel and sadistic personalities.

I mean, why go to the trouble of telling me to send in something else, only to have a volte-face and tell me "No thanks" or just ignoring me, without even looking at the material.

Don't want anything else from me? Fine. Then don't ask for it, don't tell me to send the next thing in, as if you were just bluffing and got called out. That is not even some kind of polite rejection or whatever. It's just sheer cruelty. Maybe these people are just actually proud to be like that.

Disgusting.
NotTheBard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 11:07 AM   #29
GucciGhostXXX
Member
 
GucciGhostXXX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 1,281
Default Re: You're a producer, fo realz???

I hear you, this town is needlessly rude and cruel.

Agreed, don't ask for the new thing if you have no intention of reading it.

There's a certain producer (with 2 Oscars for best pic) who passes on me like: "Whit all due respect, we're unfortunately passing on this." Etc. Meaning he's NICE and POLITE about passing. He never says "Send me the next thing." But, one I have the next thing he's always read it. If the entire town functioned like that guy, it would be a better place to do business.

Unfortunately it's a sh!tshow out there!
GucciGhostXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 11:10 AM   #30
MargoChanning
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chicago area
Posts: 826
Default Re: You're a producer, fo realz???

Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
Yup... lotta crapy stuff happening in the industry.

But, I can maybe top that (not to out do you, just as an example of how crap people can be): I've known 2 producers for 10 years. Hung out as friends, went to their birthday parties etc, introduced to people like "He's fam!" One of them I messaged during the Oscars and said "Good luck, man! Hope you take home gold!" he gets right back to me "Thanks, man! Fingers crossed." But when I ask these 2 guys to read my script? I say, I can send direct or have my rep send........ GHOSTED!

I don't GET this town
I've been at this for over fifteen years and things have definitely gotten worse. Unless you're an A-lister, and I know there are several here, the lowly screenwriter is expected to have "attachments" in place, to even be considered. Then, what the F*ck do we need producers for? Supplying kick-ass content isn't enough, apparently.
MargoChanning is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Done Deal Pro

eXTReMe Tracker