Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What are you looking for?

"So I've been LYING a lot," said, the 24 year old handsome screenwriter.

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
      they are one and the same. there is ONE site. what's different is the annual list vs the hosting section of the site. if you think of them, technically, it's easy to separate them.

the Annual Black List-- a once a year compiling of apx 250 industry professionals who cast votes on their favorite scripts that are, as yet, NOT in production and are associated with that calendar year.

The Black List website-- a site that connects writers to the industry via paid reader evaluations.
      "it's easy to separate them"

Oh my, I must be a dummy because it's not easy for me.

When someone talks about a high rated Black List script, I need clarification because I don't know if they're talking about the Annual list, or the website's list.

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
        I think Jeff is right again.

So is it a bad sign when a rep "loves your writing" but still won't sign you because they don't feel 100% passionate about that one script? It leads me to believe they are more like agents only looking to scoop up 1 great script and sell it.

Now I have yet to find the manager who saw potential in one of my scripts that they knew probably would not sell and still take me on, knowing the next one would rock. In fact, even reps that took me on, they went out with a great script, didn't sell, then all the next stuff we worked on seemed like they already checked out and those never went anywhere. Reps seems to be if it sells great, you're my client, if it doesn't, ghosted.

To me these reps who just want great writing and voices are like unicorns. Only real in books.
        Agree 100%.

Comment

I joined this site in 2007. On my 16th birthday! I remember it because I was a senior in high school and just saw CLERKS.

Comment

Yeah, I've been through several managers. I think times have changed. They don't want to rep you unless you have a script they think they can sell. So all the work falls on us, to create script that managers/production companies want to sell.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeNYC View Post
              "it's easy to separate them"

Oh my, I must be a dummy because it's not easy for me.

When someone talks about a high rated Black List script, I need clarification because I don't know if they're talking about the Annual list, or the website's list.
              you seem to have missed the first half of the sentence, JoeNYC (true to form). i didn't say "it's easy to separate them." what i actually said included a caveat which you conveniently removed... so let's keep it in context, shall we?

"if you think of them, technically (meaning by definition which i provided), [then/implied] it's easy to separate them." i didn't insult you or your intelligence, you chose to take it that way.

now, i don't know if that makes you a "dummy" or not, but it does make it clear you are selective in what you take away from a sentence. not my issue. i tried to help you better understand.

to clarify further...

the Annual Black List scripts receive "votes." there is a cutoff in the number of votes a script receives each year to get on the list which is determined by Franklin himself. they are NOT rated but rather accumulate votes. these are scripts that have circulated the industry by primarily agents and/or managers. on occasion a script may land on this list where they have no representation. many of these script already have studios and prodcos attached and some have financing attached, too.

the Black List hosting part of the site lists top scripts based on their "ratings" offered by paid reader evaluations. these evaluations are given a numerical value 1-10, 10 being the best, for the following components: character, dialogue, premise, plot, setting and then an overall rating (not an average of each) of how likely the reader would be willing to advance the script to the next level-- it also includes a written evaluation of the script's strengths, weaknesses and industry "prospects." the numerical values are ONLY based on the strengths and weaknesses.
              "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

you seem to have missed the first half of the sentence, JoeNYC (true to form).
                Why you...

Comment

Wouldn't it also depend on the manager and the way he or she runs their business?

I haven't been repped for a decade yet my previous manager called me last year and asked if it was okay to send one of my scripts to a prodco looking for a female buddy script. I assume he liked the work enough to think of the script so many years later.
                  Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

Originally posted by sc111 View Post
                    Wouldn't it also depend on the manager and the way he or she runs their business?

I haven't been repped for a decade yet my previous manager called me last year and asked if it was okay to send one of my scripts to a prodco looking for a female buddy script. I assume he liked the work enough to think of the script so many years later.
                    i think it does. if they can find a home, great. and there are writers who don't live in LA and only want to write features-- so they can work with streamers.

but, with the compression of the number of movies a studio will make each year that come from "original" material so limited for theatrical releases, that it seems the opportunity and growth, in general will come from TV and Streamers.

i actually hope i'm wrong because i love writing features. but will be undertaking pilots as well.
                    "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

i think it does. if they can find a home, great. and there are writers who don't live in LA and only want to write features-- so they can work with streamers.

but, with the compression of the number of movies a studio will make each year that come from "original" material so limited for theatrical releases, that it seems the opportunity and growth, in general will come from TV and Streamers.

i actually hope i'm wrong because i love writing features. but will be undertaking pilots as well.
                      I understand. I was kinda-sorta responding to Bono's original post indicating managers are only looking for "hit movies" as opposed to solid writing chops.

Lately I've been paying more attention to industry trends because my brother has been nagging me to get back into the spec race. Honestly, I'm not feeling it -- maybe it's some kind of spec PTSD?
                      Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

Honestly it depends on the manager. Some will push scripts that the know won't sell out of the gate and require packaging, but are good and will get writers into a lot of generals (and maybe the BL--not the website!) Others don't want to bother with that. You just have to figure out what you want to do and then find a rep who matches that.

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
                          I joined this site in 2007. On my 16th birthday! I remember it because I was a senior in high school and just saw CLERKS.
                          chuckle

Comment

What is the best way to get noticed without being in Los Angeles?

Info: I'm 30, been at this for about 8 years, and I'm not at the level I'd like to be at. Is the only way to draw attention to yourself through these pay to play contests? I forked over some money this year for the Nicholl fellowship and only made the quarterfinals. It was a tough result, but I know I have to keep working. My goal is to have a couple of great pieces in my portfolio by next year.

I am in the d/g league right now but want to make it to the NBA.

Comment

The bad pitch as they say to break in outside LA is to kill someone famous* and go to jail, sell the rights and then write the book - then adapt the book for screen -- win the Oscar... it's a flawless plan actually.

*Do I have to say I'm kidding or can you sue my DD handle?

Comment

Originally posted by Vango View Post
                                What is the best way to get noticed without being in Los Angeles?

Info: I'm 30, been at this for about 8 years, and I'm not at the level I'd like to be at. Is the only way to draw attention to yourself through these pay to play contests? I forked over some money this year for the Nicholl fellowship and only made the quarterfinals. It was a tough result, but I know I have to keep working. My goal is to have a couple of great pieces in my portfolio by next year.

I am in the d/g league right now but want to make it to the NBA.
                                Honest answer, write a great script. They don't care where you live when they read it.

More honest, I'm also 30!

Comment

Working...
                                X