Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The DAY/NIGHT Rule

I want to portray the time which is NIGHT, but it is actually still DAY. The correct word for it is EVENING, and it can still be light or dark. I'm sure I can explain under the heading that "the sun is low in the western sky," or whatever, but it will become redundant. This time of day is important, but it is also recurrent, and I would really like to skip the unnecessary text.

So, if EVENING is strongly discouraged, what is the best way to incorporate that time of DAY into the heading?

Thanks, rd
    "THIMK." - Amomynous

Re: The DAY/NIGHT Rule

Originally posted by R.D. Wright View Post
    I want to portray the time which is NIGHT, but it is actually still DAY. The correct word for it is EVENING, and it can still be light or dark. I'm sure I can explain under the heading that "the sun is low in the western sky," or whatever, but it will become redundant. This time of day is important, but it is also recurrent, and I would really like to skip the unnecessary text.

So, if EVENING is strongly discouraged, what is the best way to incorporate that time of DAY into the heading?

Thanks, rd
    Use EVENING. Or DUSK even. I've even seen SUNSET used before. Some will say "you're only allowed to use DAY or NIGHT"; it's complete BS. It's a matter of preference. Alternatives are used all the time. The following slug:

EXT. BEACH -- EVENING

... plants a clear image in the reader's mind. As for the, "the sun is low in the western sky" line, it depends on how you're executing your scene. If I see something like that placed immediately under the slug, my mind will be picturing a landscape view of the scenery. So if you're playing out a speedy action sequence that zips from one location to another, depending on how the previous scene ended, reading this could possibly jar the visual pace.

My $0.02.

Comment

I'm not sure evening plants a clear picture in the reader's mind.

1.the latter part of the day and early part of the night. 2.the period from sunset to bedtime: He spent the evenings reading. 3.Chiefly Midland and Southern U.S. the time between noon and sunset, including the afternoon and twilight.
      If you stick to DAY or NIGHT in the scene heading, you can always fine tune the exact time in the narrartive, even if it is recurrent. If the time is important, I think you have to be more specific than evening or afternoon or morning.

Don't most of the good scripts have lean, simple, and consistent scene headings?

Comment

It depends on the context. IMO, with the scene heading...

EXT. BEACH -- EVENING

... I'm already picturing a low sun. I know that the sun isn't high, otherwise DAY would've been used; and I don't picture twinkling stars otherwise NIGHT would've been used. Evenings at the beach usually conjur the subconscious image of a sun in the horizon painting an orange tan.

Originally posted by jonpiper View Post
        Don't most of the good scripts have lean, simple, and consistent scene headings?
        Yes and No. Again, it's a matter of preference. You don't have to look far to find alternatives to DAY and NIGHT being used commonly.
        Last edited by M4estro; 04-22-2007, 04:08 PM.

Comment

If you're not picturing a quick shot of the horizon, feel free to use EVENING. Some people may discourage it, but most people know what EVENING looks like, so in my opinion, it is safe to use.

Like M4estro said, EVENING, DUSK, and SUNSET all work. I've even seen somebody use MAGIC HOUR, which was kept from spec to shooting script. I wouldn't suggest that, because some readers might not know what that is and if you're going to go that far you might as well just write --

EXT. BOARDWALK - A COLOR TEMPERATURE OF 4000K

Honestly, just make sure everybody from the most brilliant gaffer to your everyday, average Joe, is able to understand what you mean, and you'll be good to go. If MAGIC HOUR can sell, EVENING better be able to.

Comment

An honest question here. Consider it part of my ignorance: is this really *such* a big deal? Are there actually people who will frown upon you for using the word EVENING? How about AFTERNOON? The myth that we can only use DAY or NIGHT is quite silly. What next? We can't have any description or dialogue?

STUDIO EXECUTIVE: Smith, this blank page is brilliant, kid. Brilliant.

- lantz.

Comment

Originally posted by veganlantz View Post
              An honest question here. Consider it part of my ignorance: is this really *such* a big deal? Are there actually people who will frown upon you for using the word EVENING? How about AFTERNOON? The myth that we can only use DAY or NIGHT is quite silly. What next? We can't have any description or dialogue?

- lantz.
              It is a myth. Where it originated from, I don't know. I've only seen it discussed on forums. The latest sold spec (by a first-timer) I've read had the writer using MORNING, LATER, and MOMENTS LATER. Nobody cares.

Comment

Thanks guys. You are confirming what I already believe -- so far. To give you an idea of where "the myth" comes from, here is one example: http://www.storysense.com/format/headings.htm

Let me clarify that my work has not been read by very many people, just contests mostly. Before I launch an aggressive campaign to sell these scripts (and I will), I want to eliminate anything that might cause readers to turn up their noses. In this way, their decisions will be purely subjective: They will like it or they won't.

The story I am now working on is set mostly in one location, and it focuses mainly on dialogue and character action. It is not necessary to disclose if it is raining or cold or hot. But time of day is important because of the linear structure, and I am keeping it as basic as possible. Get in, get out, move on.

Thanks for the comments, and feel free to add more. -- rd
                "THIMK." - Amomynous

Comment

Originally posted by R.D. Wright View Post
                  Thanks guys. You are confirming what I already believe -- so far. To give you an idea of where "the myth" comes from, here is one example: http://www.storysense.com/format/headings.htm
                  That url sucks. This person says that ALL you can see on the screen is if it's day or night. Therefore, anything else is unacceptable. But TRACKING is okay? Sounds like a camera direction to me. And that sounds unacceptable. But that's just my opinion and I'm nobody.

Plus, I think it's a bit of a moronic statement to assume that no one knows the difference between broad daylight and evening. The sun is obviously in a different place in the sky. The lighting is different, the mood is different. It's necessary to know.

Go with your gut instinct.

- lantz.

Comment

1- If I specify AFTERNOON, can the filming take place in the morning?

2- Does anybody actually film at sunset or in the evening? Say it takes a couple of hours and dozens of takes to film a two minute scene. Doesn't that create continuity issues with the fast changing light?
                    "I am the story itself; its source, its voice, its music."
                    - Clive Barker, Galilee

Comment

Originally posted by TwoBrad Bradley View Post

2- Does anybody actually film at sunset or in the evening? Say it takes a couple of hours and dozens of takes to film a two minute scene. Doesn't that create continuity issues with the fast changing light?
                      Just because the script says DAY, it may be shot in the dead of night. It's called, "shooting day for night." This isn't always the case, quite obviously, but it's possible. I've done it before, and it's not uncommon. You can also shoot night for day.

It doesn't matter when they shoot it or how they have to do it; the point is to make it look the way it does on the page, within reason, barring unforseen circumstances. If there's no script, then they have no job.

- lantz.

Comment

Originally posted by TwoBrad Bradley View Post

2- Does anybody actually film at sunset or in the evening? Say it takes a couple of hours and dozens of takes to film a two minute scene. Doesn’t that create continuity issues with the fast changing light?
                        1. Without a doubt. In the MAGIC HOUR example above, we actually filmed in the middle of the night when the sky was completely black, not when the sky was orange. Threw up some lights and it looked great. It's really amazing what some lights can do. When the executive producer walked onto the set, he asked, "Is that the real sun, or is it ours?"

2. Yup. It's incredibly hectic and these are the days that producer's and AD's nightmares are made of. In some location and times of the year you actually have a couple hours of sunset, in other less than 20 minutes.

It can create continuity errors, but there are ways around it. Does the sun moving all DAY create continuity issues? Yup, but there are ways around it.

EDIT: lantz beat me to it. I'll just add that even though the script says DAY it might be shot in the dead of night AS NIGHT. If there isn't a reason for it to be day and it saves money (say there was a lab issue and and they have to add a day of re-shoots but they're currently shooting nights, and the turnaround costs would be more than just shooting at night) why not? The script is the blueprint, not the bible. I know that can hurt as a writer, but film is a collaborative effort.

Comment

Originally posted by veganlantz View Post

- lantz.
                          That reminds me of a book I saw once.

It was called - Everything Men Know About Women.

And every page was blank. True.
                          sigpic

Comment

I lean towards DAY and NIGHT if only 'cause labels like MORNING and EVENING just aren't specific enough. If you mean "Daylight is fading, night is only minutes away" or "The sinking sun turns the sky crimson" if you're feeling in a poetic mood, then say so. I use DAY/NIGHT if the transition takes place in the scene.

-Derek

Comment

I simply write DAY and or NIGHT only and mention what specific time of day it is below the slugline. It can be creatively incorporated into the action.

EXT. TOWN - DAY

It is early morning. From across the hills and green fields, rain falls on a small town in the near distance.

One can see above that it is an establishing scene.

EXT. COUNTRY - FIELD - DAY

Twilight hour. A group of Country FARM GIRLS, dressed in spring white dresses, flowers in their hair, bare feet, dance in a circle, Morris dances under a crimson sky.

Early evening.

EXT. STREET HOUSE - NIGHT

It is midnight.

Moonlight bathes a street house in blue light. A MAN emerges from the shadows, his features concealed by a ski-mask, scamplers over a wall, trudges across a grass lawn; slides up to the side of the house.

He leans again the brick wall, breathes heavily, glances through a darkened window.

INT. BEDROOM - DAY

The afternoon sun shines into the room, bathes a bed in yellow light.

SHELIA runs her hand over her naked body, waits longingly. A naked MAN, JOHN, in his 30's, handsome, dark and myserious, bends down, snuggles up to Shelia, makes love to her on the bed. The warm sun paints shadows on their moist bodies.

I you stick to DAY and or NIGHT, like I said, you can be creative and mention what time of day it is under the slug.

Same for LATER or MUCH LATER or whatever, I simply don't use those. Nor MORNING, AFTERNOON, EVENING. My personal preference is to locate that information below the slug, keep the slug with only DAY or NIGHT information.

When a Production Manager performs a production schedule on a screenplay it helps to retain a continuity of how a slug appears on the page and for budget purposes what basic time of day such as DAY or NIGHT are required. Certain times of day can be cheated anyway. So for budget and scheduling it's best to just keep to DAY or NIGHT, it's less hassle for these people when they perform a screenplay breakdown scene-by-scene. This also goes for the shooting schedule, means the same thing, talent and crew wages, catering, accomodation, transport, specific equipment, lights, etc. All are dependent on that DAY or NIGHT in a shooting shedule and can be broken up that way. Mention all the other times of day and it compounds the issue.

DAY and or NIGHT

Mention the specific time of day under the slug.. One can be creative writing using this menthod. It keeps it simple too.

Comment

Working...
                              X