Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You Think Netflix Is A Gyp?

Only a limited amount of flicks/TV Series available for stream? WTF? Come on!
    sigpic

"I'm gonna run ya ragged!"

"YEE HAWWW!!!"

Re: You Think Netflix Is A Gyp?

Raise the rates on monthly subscriptions then lose a sh&tload of titles several months later. Genius. This is the type of thing companies like Red Box should capitalize on.

As a result, the streaming digital TV and film service will soon be deprived of top shows like Party Down and Spartacus: Blood and Sand, plus new movies from Sony Pictures and Walt Disney Studios.
    One must be fearless and tenacious when pursuing their dreams. If you don't, regret will be your reward.

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

sort of off topic, and I never realized this, but someone recently informed me that "gyp" comes from the word "gypsy", and to use it as a reference for being "cheated" could be insulting to a gypsy person...

Comment

But not half as insulting as paying hard earned money for second rate service!!!!!!
        sigpic

"YEE HAWWW!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by jsay View Post
          sort of off topic, and I never realized this, but someone recently informed me that "gyp" comes from the word "gypsy", and to use it as a reference for being "cheated" could be insulting to a gypsy person...

Really really off topic but if a Gypsy person considers cheating an artform or even gainful employment then the term Gyp is actually an acolade. That's me, the glass half full guy.
          I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

$7 unlimited for dvds in the mail is still an awesome deal though
            "you have to write right, right?" -- Todd Gordon

Comment

People, 8 bucks a month and you get access to thousands of hours of TV/Movies on demand is the best deal around. Cheapest alternative is 1 dollar one night rentals. If you don't want to pay 7 bucks a month for one mail in DVD, which to me is the jip, go to Redbox or Blockbuster.

Comment

People, 8 bucks a month and you get access to thousands of hours of TV/Movies on demand is the best deal around.
                It would be the best deal around if not for the so-so availability. Make every title stream-ready or even 80% -- then we have a deal.
                sigpic

"YEE HAWWW!!!"

Comment

sort of off topic, and I never realized this, but someone recently informed me that "gyp" comes from the word "gypsy"...
                  It's the kind of thing that sounds plausible - but isn't necessarily true.

Basically we find the term 'gypped' turned up mainly in the USA in the 1900s - but the term 'gypsy' was mainly used in England & Europe.

From a 'Boy's Life' story in 1933:

"I always hate to be gypped out of anything... Gypped is the word they use nowdays .. but I always remember my Pappy used to say 'euchered'."
                  There is another possible origin: "Gypped" (for taken) also applies to being gutted - eg: "He gypped the herring".

eg: "This is to certify, that Mr. John Lewis has cured more than thirty barrels of gypped herrings, after the manner of the Dutch ; and that the sample of half a barrel, sent to the Society by the sloop Speculation, is a fair sample of those.."
                  (It even made it into Mr Webster's first dictionary - so it wasn't an obscure term in the USA)

Just to be confusing, a 'gyp' was the term for an errand boy at Cambridge (at Oxford they were called a 'scout')

We do see 'gypped' & 'gypsy' being used together occasionally - but it is certainly the exception rather than the rule:
                  I was being gypped. Finally, when I had endured these Gypsy tricks to the limit of my patience I broke out in Romani, "Me sum Rom; hoidal kai guiley Roms?"
                  Mac
                  New blogposts:
                  *Followup - Seeking Investors in all the wrong places
                  *Preselling your film - Learning from the Experts
                  *Getting your indie film onto iTunes
                  *Case Study - Estimating Film profits

Comment

Interesting post Mac.H. You sure know your etymology.

I bet someone came up with that gypsy story after hearing the word, not knowing it's origin, then assuming it had the same racist kind of etymology like the verbified form of the word Jew(I.E. to Jew someone out of money).
                    Last edited by Archduke; 09-04-2011, 06:26 PM.

Comment

I think this falls under the category that a little bit of supposed knowledge can lead to a bad conclusions.

True story -- My El Salvadorian friend and her mother were shopping for shoes one day. The tried on many and finally settled on the cute black ones.

In Spanish this sounds something like -- Quiero esas negras. Translated -- I want those black ones.

Well there were two black women near them and one of them threw a fit. One screaming that she knew Spanish and that she didn't like being talked about.

My friend tried to tell her she was talking about black shoes. But the Spainish class taught woman did not believe her. While the black ladies friend seeing that my friend was holding the black shoes in her hand tried to talk her friend down. But since she thought she was right, she would not stop screaming.

In other words, you can find racism if you look hard enough and back up your misconception from what little knowledge you might have.

Sorry for the brief derailment.

I still like Netflix. When they self-implode I will move on. But for the mean time, I'm going to ride that $8 streaming to the bitter end.
                      Never let the competition know what you're thinking... and never tell the unseen masses your story idea.

-- Rule 85, Ferengi Rules of Acquisition (updated by cmmora)

Comment

The etymology might still be racist - but it isn't as obvious and straight forward as it might appear.

It might have originally appeared as meaning "I feel gutted" and then switched over to "I feel gutted because I've been cheated" due to sounding very similar to 'gypsy' - but that would be as much as a guess as other made up etymologies. The evidence for it was that some references to 'gyped' in older texts refer simply to having everything taken rather than being cheated. (eg: References to 'I was gyped by the Germans' when talking about the Germans seizing property)

It's still amazes me that we simply don't know the origins of many words - even those that have appeared in the last hundred years. They evolve when nobody is taking any notice of them and then suddenly appear as if they've always been there.

If you are curious, here is a graph of the snippet 'was gypped' as it appears in books, magazines, periodicals etc:

http://ngrams.googlelabs.com/graph?c...=0&smoothing=3

It basically appears in the 1920s or so and peaks in popularity in the 1940s. That is consistent with the 1935 reference of the older generation considering it a 'modern word'.

The google ngrams system isn't 100% accurate - but it gives a pretty good overview.

Mac
                        (To be fair - there is some evidence for the racist overtoned 'Gypsies' -> shorted to 'Gyps' -> 'Gyped' ... so that origin has just as much chance as being right as any other theory. Anyone can handpick a few references to make it clear that their pet theory is obviously the true one. The simple answer, though, is that we will probably never know - and that it might have evolved independently a few times)
                        Last edited by Mac H.; 09-04-2011, 05:21 PM.
                        New blogposts:
                        *Followup - Seeking Investors in all the wrong places
                        *Preselling your film - Learning from the Experts
                        *Getting your indie film onto iTunes
                        *Case Study - Estimating Film profits

Comment

I bet that person is a niggardly Indian giver!
                          "Tact's just 'not saying true stuff.' " - Cordelia Chase

Comment

I think Netflix streaming would still be the greatest bargain of all time at double the price.

I spend more than $8 a day on trains. That's a gyp.

There's probably 50 movies in my instantview that aren't even available on dvd.

In my top 100:

Clockwise
                            32 Short Films About Glenn Gould
                            Year My Voice Broke
                            Arabian Nights
                            Wild Man Blues
                            Discreet Charm Of The Bourgeoisie
                            What Did You Do In The War, Daddy
                            How I Won The War
                            The Hospital
                            Unmarried Woman
                            Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down
                            and a ton of Mystery Science Theaters

I would pay $40 a month and still be happy

Comment

Originally posted by Optimus View Post
                              I bet that person is a niggardly Indian giver!
                              No, just a cracka-ass cracka.
                              sigpic

"YEE HAWWW!!!"

Comment

Working...
                              X