Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Castle

Anyone else watch this? I thought it was good. It's time Nathan Fillion had a hit.
    http://www.pjmcilvaine.com/

Re: Castle

Didn't make my schedule. Too much to watch already...

Comment

I'm not entirely sold yet.

It's on at a good time, which is promising. That said, the first episode had its moments. I'll see what they do with the second episode.

It didn't grab me like JOURNEYMAN. I miss that show... *cries*

Comment

I read some article that scoffed at this and said that Nathan Fillion deserved something more worthy of his talents. That's funny. It's the only part I've seen him in so far that I've actually liked. I'm not into the whole "solving crime" genre because every conceivable crime idea has already been done. But I think the chemistry between the two leads is great.
        Last edited by ScriptShadow; 03-09-2009, 11:01 PM.
        Script Reviews - 5 a week! http://scriptshadow.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by bed-and-bones View Post
          It didn't grab me like JOURNEYMAN. I miss that show... *cries*
          Just when I got over its absence, you bring back the memories...

JOURNEYMAN was last year's best new show. Stinking NBC!

Comment

It's funny; when I read the script, I found the character of Castle a little too obnoxious. (But I'm not a fan overall of this little id-driven-smartass-paired-with-no-nonsense-cop subgenre that's been all the rage lately.) Then when I heard they cast Fillion, I couldn't really imagine him pulling it off. (I find him rather cuddly.) But I got to see an early version of the pilot a few months ago, and it was like one of those weird alchemy things, where he made the material more charming and the material brought out new depth in him. It's a pleasant surprise.

I did not enjoy the strange vaudevillian side effects they've added. They feel overdone and incongruous and just annoying. It feels like the network didn't trust that we were going to get the tone of the show -- like if they didn't add the "DOINK" sound when Castle elbowed the guy, we were going to think they were trying to sell us the new NYPD BLUE. I'm hoping they phase that out.

I thought the chemistry was good, too, and just from previews of future episodes it looks like it only improves. I don't know if the show's going to be sweeping the Emmys next year, but it seems like it's going to be a fun way to spend an hour a week, anyway.
            The difference between the almost right word & the right word is really a large matter -- it's the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning. - Mark Twain

Comment

The big test with your two leads is always, "Do you want these two to get together more than anything?" Rachel and Ross. Sam and Diane. If the answer is yes, you have yourself a show. And here it's definitely "yes". When she whispers in his ear, "You have no idea." Wooo! I got goosebumps.
              Script Reviews - 5 a week! http://scriptshadow.blogspot.com/

Comment

I'm a fan of Fillion and I wanted to like this. As bed-and-bones said above, it had its moments. But I would have liked to see the story and characters developed in a more original way. I'll probably give it a shot for another few episodes, but if it doesn't hook me by then I'm out.
                "Your intuition knows what to write, so get out of the way.-
                ― Ray Bradbury

Comment

Originally posted by LIMAMA View Post
                  Anyone else watch this? I thought it was good. It's time Nathan Fillion had a hit.
                  I really like Fillion too. First episodes are always a real challenge and I hope the mystery plots improve -- using one of the oldest mystery twists in the world, first thought up by Agatha Christie in The ABC Murders and used a thousand times since, didn't help. But I'll definitely be back.

But please, please get rid of the mom...

Comment

Susan Sullivan is a wonderful actress, she deserves a meatier role than just the "oddball" Grandma.
                    Last edited by LIMAMA; 03-11-2009, 09:13 AM. Reason: me
                    http://www.pjmcilvaine.com/

Comment

I thought it was great. Nice chemistry, great casting. Fillion definitely warmed up a character that could've ended up a jerk. I'm tuning in.

Comment

It's okay. Just okay. I think Nathan is a better actor than Katic. And his character is far more interesting. Katic fails to elevate the straight man/non nonsense stereotype IMO.

I don't know if "Moonlighting" is a good comparison, but both Willis and Shepard were exceptional as were their characters. She was the straight man but also kooky and sassy in often hilarious ways. I'm not saying Beckett has to be written that way, but she has to be more dynamic...

if you want me tunin' in.
                        "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
                        - Screenwriting Friend

Comment

I thought the show was very entertaining. I loved the scene where Castle was telling Beckett why she became a cop. Very strong chemistry between the leads, even if the cop was kind of generic.

I really liked the James Patterson cameo. Although that looked like a crappy poker game.

I like the idea of a writer trying to solve crimes by understanding "the story" pretty amusing take on what could be a boring procedural.
                          "I dub thee: Sir Non Sequitur." - sc111

Comment

i enjoyed the first episode but i have a feeling it will get repetitive and less interesting with time

Comment

No one but Nathan Fillion could have pulled this off. He is a splendid actor. The show was one of the best I've seen thus far. Loved the chemistry between the two. I think the show is just going to get better and better. I'll be tuning in every week.
                              The past is a cashed check. The future is a promissory note. Today is the only hard cash that any of us ever have. Spend it well and wisely.

Comment

Working...
                              X