Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UTA won't read unsolicited material?

Always stand by your work! Don't let me sway you. I'm just one of the "nos"...

Comment

I always do, but that was a hack. Trust me, if I thought it was funny, it would still be up. Problem is, it wasn't. Just a courtesy to those who hadn't read it.

LOST is on in two minutes. Gotta go!

Peace
      The best way out is always through. - Robert Frost

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
        I'm trying to keep it positive, but those were horrible jokes. Just awful. I'm sorry.
        This is exactly what the folks at UTA said about my comedy!!!

Those trucker as$holes are tough bastrads!

EJ

Comment

Originally posted by zazzo2003 View Post
          Besides the persistence of querying like a mofo over snail mail (like our good friend Bono) The best way to get something in to a manager/agent/prodco still is to:

A.) Know someone who vouches for your writing on your behalf or

B.) CALL! Sell the assistant (or if you're lucky to get the agent/manager on the phone) on yourself and why YOU are worthy of their time.

Remember though - you only have one shot to make a good first impression and if your first script is great - they'll want to see 1 or 2 more to prove you're not a one hit wonder

-----Zazzzzz
          This is true. I've earned an open door policy to submit anytime to 6 different production companies right now. I have 4 scripts that can back each other up.
          "It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived." - General George S. Patton, Jr.

Comment

Okay, guys, this is what I do:

1) I queried everybody in this world (always legit) over the last 12 months - less than 4% asked to read my script. They all passed eventually (a few encouraged me to submit my next one, which I now have).

2) I stopped the querying thing for a few months. Then I queried everybody again (I am actually in the process of tiring them out now). - So far 3% has asked to read my script - all those that asked for it now were queried before! So emails can be lost, misplaced, forgotten etc.

3) I won't stop until EVERY person in LA has passed on my script.

4) Then I will start querying them again with my next one until I knock them off.

Some people will say: "Get off your lazy ass and start calling people". Well, if I fancied calling people then I would have chosen to be a rep/agent. I am a damn introverted writer so email is my thing. Don't even bother with snail any more - my personal experience has showed 0% results so far. It's also expensive.

The 10%-20% reading levels, at least for me, are a myth. Around 5% sounds more rational. So if you query 500 people, expect 15 to 25 reads maximum.

As Bono said before, it's a numbers game - most probably these people have their brains turned into pulp from thousands of submissions (and some of them can be REALLY BAD queries - I speak from personal experience as the MD of my own production company on the lookout for scripts).

This board has been great - a lot of people here were very keen on passing their experiences. I think it's a great place of writers to be. I will do my best to give back as much as I can too - the rest of my time will be dedicated on keep on writing and querying. That's the way forward.

"Artificial Intelligence will never match the efficiency of Natural Stupidity"

Comment

Snail mail! No way. EMAIL BABY.
              That's something I'd like to hear Peter Griffin say.
              "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

Originally posted by zenplato View Post

Removed by Quality control
                I delete all.

Comment

Thanks. Well I am from the Boston area (not much of an accent), but I do have the balls on my chin.

I don't believe in positive thinking, I believe in science, EXCEPT when it comes to creative people. It's all about getting 10,000 "nos" to get the 1 "yes." And I'm not a book. You can read my past posts and I didn't know sh*t either. I learned it over the past few months from others on this board (and off it.)

Just trying to give back. Make the writer believe it can happen. My friend just complains nothing good happens to him in terms of his writing career, but he doesn't query anyone. It can't happen unless you try.

Keep on pushing forward. I know it's easy to think it will never happen, but those are the people that don't make it. Because they gave up before the person that could change their lives had a chance to say "yes."
                  Everyone lets gives this man a round on the house .."Bartender give that man what ever he wants to drink on me" LOL!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X