Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: THE MIST - Why do people not like it?

Originally posted by Terrance Mulloy View Post
    Darabont said if you know how to change that ending, by all means, tell me and I'll consider it.
    The car disappears into the Mist, as we pull back through whiteness, so much whiteness we don't realize yet we're pulling back, past half-seen winged creatures flying through the mist and more lumbering, gigantic behemoths, pulling back, until we finally break through...

And viewing from space we see that the Mist has completely covered the Northern Hemisphere, and continues to spread across the Earth.

HH

Comment

Re: The Mist

As per your quotes, you're looking for reasons to hate. Fair enough though I don't find that healthy. Nor do I buy that someone with such resentment to King would choose not to watch a film of his based on reviews alone. But none of what you wrote detracts from what I said.

Now I can argue back and forth with someone who doesn't agree, someone who would crash a thread entitled "why do you love Stephen King" just to rant how he abhors Stephen King, or I can just smile to myself and move the fvck along.

Ciao.
      Last edited by 1mper1um; 06-13-2011, 02:48 AM. Reason: Went to get some salt for Fortean's chip.

Comment

The ending to the film was the perfect way to express the feeling I had at the end of the novella. In the novella, the characters, when seeing the behemoth overhead, realized that there was no place that they could go that they'd ever be safe and that it was merely a matter of time before they came to a horrible end (I have not picked that story up in nearly 20 years and I still remember that). Therefore, the ending Darabount wrote was both more horrifying and hopeful than the one Stephen King wrote. I believe King even stated that if he had thought of that ending he would have used it.

I wouldn't mind a good adaptation of "Home Delivery."
        "All of us trying to be the camera behind the camera behind the camera. The last story in line. The Truth" Chuck Palahniuk - Haunted

Comment

I didn't like it very much. If the creatures are the size of Godzilla why don't they just smash the supermarket apart to get at what's inside? That bothered me when the grocery boy is snatched by the tentacle toward the beginning. They finally close the door and the thing seems to go away. Why would closing a door stop such an enormous, powerful organism?

There were a number of things like this that bothered me. But the absolute worst line that was so lazy and annoying comes just after the clerk shoots and kills the religious woman. Some woman standing nearby blurts "You murdered her!" This just after they knifed the military guy and placed him outside to be taken by the creatures. Suddenly they are concerned about murder when, just moments before, they subjected the soldier to a horrifying death?????
          Quato Lives!

Comment

Originally posted by EddieCoyle View Post
            There were a number of things like this that bothered me. But the absolute worst line that was so lazy and annoying comes just after the clerk shoots and kills the religious woman. Some woman standing nearby blurts "You murdered her!" This just after they knifed the military guy and placed him outside to be taken by the creatures. Suddenly they are concerned about murder when, just moments before, they subjected the soldier to a horrifying death?????

Well, the woman who utters the 'You murdered her!' line was one of the crowd who had bought into the Wrath of God angle that Mrs Carmody was peddling and from her perspective the military guy's death was a sacrifice intended for appeasement, rather than a simple murder.

I'm pretty sure the writer was aware of the hypocrisy of that character speaking that line.
            "Only nothing is impossible."
            - Grant Morrison

Comment

Originally posted by Kermet Key View Post
              The ending to the film was the perfect way to express the feeling I had at the end of the novella. In the novella, the characters, when seeing the behemoth overhead, realized that there was no place that they could go that they'd ever be safe and that it was merely a matter of time before they came to a horrible end (I have not picked that story up in nearly 20 years and I still remember that). Therefore, the ending Darabount wrote was both more horrifying and hopeful than the one Stephen King wrote. I believe King even stated that if he had thought of that ending he would have used it.
              The novella ends with the father thinking he's hearing a radio broadcast so that's what he sets out to find. So there is a bit of (false?) hope in the novella.

However, you are correct with King's statements regarding Darabont's ending.

HH

Comment

One thing -- I did enjoy the majority of the movie so I'd recommend it and I thought it was worth watching.

But what bugged me about the ending is that when dad first started getting ready to shoot his own kid in the face, I was just stunned.

Seriously? It's better to get shot in the face right now by your own father than potentially, at some indeterminate point in the future, get stepped on or eaten by a giant monster?

At that point I start thinking "Yes! Do it you dumb mother******! Shoot your own kid in the face! And what'd make it really sweet is if, as in many head injuries and why shooting yourself ain't really the best way to commit suicide, instead of killing the kid, you only cause severe brain damage and permanent facial scarring -- and then the kid gets eaten by a monster at some point down the line anyway."

And then the twist ending comes and I realize that dad didn't shoot his own kid in the face because he was an utter idiot or for any other plot reason. He shot his own kid in the face because the storyteller wanted to manufacture a tragic twist.
                Steven Palmer Peterson

Comment

Originally posted by sppeterson View Post
                  And then the twist ending comes and I realize that dad didn't shoot his own kid in the face because he was an utter idiot or for any other plot reason. He shot his own kid in the face because the storyteller wanted to manufacture a tragic twist.
                  So thinking you're in a winless situation, a living hell, with a painful and horrific death around the corner and wanting to end it quickly on your terms is not a valid plot reason?

As for using a gun which meets with your obvious disapproval, what else could he do with a car that's run out of petrol, a gun with 4 bullets and a skyscraper sized creature outside that hints at there being no limits to the threats that lurk in the mist? He didn't exactly have time or tools in which to manufacture a quicker and more guaranteed method of suicide. Some people...

Comment

Originally posted by haroldhecuba View Post
                    The novella ends with the father thinking he's hearing a radio broadcast so that's what he sets out to find. So there is a bit of (false?) hope in the novella.

However, you are correct with King's statements regarding Darabont's ending.

HH
                    As I said, been a while since I read it, but the feeling of hopelessness was what I was left with at the end of the story.
                    "All of us trying to be the camera behind the camera behind the camera. The last story in line. The Truth" Chuck Palahniuk - Haunted

Comment

The novella was more open ended. That he was setting off in the car with only a handful of bullets left.

The ending didn't sit with me as there is no way I could kill any of my kids. I would never take that glimmer of hope away.
                      Half a bubble off level... systems normal.

Comment

I liked the movie, I actually own it on DVD. However, I hated the ending. Who kills their son when there's still a chance for survival. I understand not wanting to end up with a thousand spiders pouring from your body but still, wait to the last second, when you know you're going to die.

Comment

It's a great ending because people are still debating it.

Comment

Originally posted by 1mper1um View Post
                            So thinking you're in a winless situation, a living hell, with a painful and horrific death around the corner and wanting to end it quickly on your terms is not a valid plot reason?
                            Well, personally, being shot in the face by my own father would be at least as horrific and painful as being stepped on or eaten by a monster.

And, obviously it was bleak, but the scenario just didn't sell me as living hell so bad I'd slaughter my own kids. People went through actual Nazi concentration camps without shooting their kids in the face. I've watched The Day After (everyone lives through radioactive nuclear winter) and innumerable zombie apocalypse movies that were similarly bleak and had far less familicide.

Maybe I'm just not emo enough to jump so quickly to the murdering my own kids solution.
                            Steven Palmer Peterson

Comment

Originally posted by haroldhecuba View Post
                              The car disappears into the Mist, as we pull back through whiteness, so much whiteness we don't realize yet we're pulling back, past half-seen winged creatures flying through the mist and more lumbering, gigantic behemoths, pulling back, until we finally break through...

And viewing from space we see that the Mist has completely covered the Northern Hemisphere, and continues to spread across the Earth.

HH
                              That's actually pretty cool. If only you were in the room at the time.
                              @TerranceMulloy

Comment

The novella ending fan edit.
                                "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Working...
                                X