Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Quest - Scott Myers - Contest/Course

If that's the case, it's hard to see the downside for a new writer.

Comment

Again with the new writer.

Jeff, what's the downside for an advanced writer? I thought it was a given there was no downside for a new writer being mentored by Scott Myers for free, but there was some concern by members that for an advanced writer, who has a strong concept and a strong execution, or has the training and talent to achieve that strong execution, that it could be a downside by having Scott Myers attached as a producer.

So, the discussion was about if it would be a help for an advanced writer to have Scott work with the writer on the rewrites and use his connections to get the script attention with industry players, such as, managers and agents and try to get it set up, or would it hurt, such as, scaring away major producers with studio connections.

I don't know if your familier with Scott Myers and his background, but what is your opinion as far as being a help to an advanced writer, using his experience, connections and such in return to be attached to the script as a producer, or would it be a detriment.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeNYC View Post

Jeff, what's the downside for an advanced writer? I thought it was a given there was no downside for a new writer being mentored by Scott Myers for free, but there was some concern by members that for an advanced writer, who has a strong concept and a strong execution, or has the training and talent to achieve that strong execution, that it could be a downside by having Scott Myers attached as a producer.

So, the discussion was about if it would be a help for an advanced writer to have Scott work with the writer on the rewrites and use his connections to get the script attention with industry players, such as, managers and agents and try to get it set up, or would it hurt, such as, scaring away major producers with studio connections.

I don't know if your familier with Scott Myers and his background, but what is your opinion as far as being a help to an advanced writer, using his experience, connections and such in return to be attached to the script as a producer, or would it be a detriment.
        Joe, the problem is that you keep defining "new writer" in a different way than a lot of the people in this thread. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that Jeff's using a definition similar to mine. Basically, someone who's unproduced, unsold, unrepped, unconnected, etc. Presumably, if you're none of those things, there's a good shot you also don't have a professional, high-concept script.

So the point of this program is to set people along that path. Write the script, get the contacts (starting with Scott), hopefully find reps, etc.

If you're a working writer, this project would get in the way of the ones that you're supposed to be working on. If you're repped, it's your rep's job to be developing material with you and finding attachments, so it would be weird to apply for something like this. And if you've already got great contacts and a great script, I'm not really sure why you'd need it.

For anyone who doesn't fit into one of the categories in the above paragraph, this seems like a fantastic opportunity.
        QUESTICLES -- It's about balls on a mission.

Comment

Originally posted by Knaight View Post
          Joe, the problem is that you keep defining "new writer" in a different way than a lot of the people in this thread. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that Jeff's using a definition similar to mine. Basically, someone who's unproduced, unsold, unrepped, unconnected, etc. Presumably, if you're none of those things, there's a good shot you also don't have a professional, high-concept script.

So the point of this program is to set people along that path. Write the script, get the contacts (starting with Scott), hopefully find reps, etc.

If you're a working writer, this project would get in the way of the ones that you're supposed to be working on. If you're repped, it's your rep's job to be developing material with you and finding attachments, so it would be weird to apply for something like this. And if you've already got great contacts and a great script, I'm not really sure why you'd need it.

For anyone who doesn't fit into one of the categories in the above paragraph, this seems like a fantastic opportunity.
          +1

I see no benefit to this arrangement with writers that are currently repped.

HH

Comment

So, your question is, should an "advanced" writer, who's already got a strong concept and can execute it well, spend six months of their life taking a class they don't need, just so they can attach Scott Myers, who has no feature producing credits, to their script?

Honestly?

If you've already got the goods, spend 25 bucks and send it to joe9alt's charity and get read at Benderspink. Or send out query letters with that strong concept and get a dozen reads around town for free.

You don't need to spend six months in Scott Meyers's class or send 600 bucks to Chris Eads to get read.

Comment

See Knaight's response below, which has my lack of reading comprehension quoted in his response.

HH (who thinks Lowell shakes his head in pity everytime I open my mouth)
              Last edited by Richmond Weems; 05-28-2012, 05:13 AM. Reason: 'Cause Harold can't read

Comment

"Producing." Not "produced."

Comment

Originally posted by haroldhecuba View Post
                  I think he does have feature credits. Maybe nothing to write home about, but it does appear that he's had a couple produced features and some DTV credits.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0616851/

HH
                  He has credits as a writer, and TV credits as a producer, but no feature credits as a producer.

That said, I think there's a decent chance he could get the job done, depending on the material. Also, I'm pretty convinced he's not intent on ripping anyone off. Based on his blog, it seems like he truly wants to help writers, which is awesome.

It's a cool opportunity for a newer writer. Hopefully, you'll learn a lot and wind up with a great script.

EDIT: Oops, Jeff got to the producing thing before I did.

Comment

I have to admit, some of what Jeff wrote above (1st para) went through my mind when I first read the link provided in the OP.

The only script I'd consider submitting for this is my unfinished female-lead western. But I know he'd likely pass for the same reason anyone I queried would likely pass -- it's not commercial.

Any concept that would attract Scott to choose you for this should be strong enough to get you a read through a query.

If you're going for it -- do it to learn something about this character technique he talks about. Do it to write a new script from page one with a respected coach. But - in my grain of salt opinion - to do it as a way to break in, it's sort of odd to me.

If Scott's simply looking to produce, why doesn't he just ask people to send in finished scripts for his consideration?
                    Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

Jeff says, "...spend six months of their life taking a class they don't need, just so they can attach Scott Myers..."

-- Fair enough answer and this was the big question mark from my point of view, but since it's free and the fact that on my own, without hard deadlines, it takes me one year to write a script, and the fact that we exchange feedback with the other writers as we go, I think it won't be a waste of my time and energy.

And if at the end Scott feels a writer's script is marketable, he'll work hard to champion it in the industry, which is a lot stronger route than sending out query letters.

Besides, just because I've been studing the craft for a long time by no way makes me think I have nothing else to learn. I believe Scott Myers can add some fresh insights and more depth to my growth.

Comment

Jeff says, "...spend six months of their life taking a class they don't need, just so they can attach Scott Myers..."

-- Fair enough answer and this was the big question mark from my point of view, but since it's free and the fact that on my own, without hard deadlines, it takes me one year to write a script, and the fact that we exchange feedback with the other writers as we go, I think it won't be a waste of my time and energy.

And if at the end Scott feels a writer's script is marketable, he'll work hard to champion it in the industry, which is a lot stronger route than sending out query letters.

Besides, just because I've been studing the craft for a long time by no way makes me think I have nothing else to learn. I believe Scott Myers can add some fresh insights and more depth to my growth.
                        No one disagrees with you, dude.

Comment

Knaight says, "No one disagrees with you, dude."

-- Dude, in your previous post you just bolded "for a newer writer." And you've mentioned this more than once. It's obvious you disagree with my opinion that it could be beneficial to advanced writers also.

Comment

Unrepped, unproduced, unsold advanced writers who need basic help with their craft are also encouraged to apply.

Comment

Knaight says, "No one disagrees with you, dude."

-- Dude, in your previous post you just bolded "for a newer writer." And you've mentioned this more than once. It's obvious you disagree with my opinion that it could be beneficial to advanced writers also.
                              Are you really going to make me explain what I mean by "new writer" again?

I get the impression that you're unsold, unrepped, don't have much in the way of contacts, etc. Also, this isn't a personal attack, but the pages you posted didn't really read as "advanced." I think it makes perfect sense for you to apply.

That's not an uncommon definition of "new writer," by the way. It actually tends to go further than that. My manager and the execs I've worked with have referred to me as new. I've been writing for years, have written a number of scripts, and the last couple are actually halfway decent. Hell, people who've been writing for a decade are referred to as new writers in Variety and Deadline when they sell their first scripts.

It's not something to get uptight or offended about. "New" simply means "unproven." No big deal.

Comment

Knaight, you say your definition of a "new writer" is someone
                                who's unsold, unrepped, no contacts, etc. This doesn't make
                                sense to me. If a writer has been writing and studying the
                                craft for ten years where his scripts have advanced in
                                contests, I would never insult him by referring to him as a
                                "new writer."

Knaight says, "Hell, people who've been writing for a decade
                                are referred to as new writers in Variety and Deadline when
                                they sell their first scripts."

-- New as in becoming a professional in the business, not as
                                in new to their craft and their art.

Knaight says, "...this isn't a personal attack, but the pages
                                you posted didn't really read as 'advanced.'"

-- With early drafts one shouldn't expect greatness. There's
                                a cliche: writing is rewriting.

The following is the opening page to my script "Friggin'
                                Love," a teen romantic comedy:
                                Code:
                                               FADE IN:

EXT. ELEMENTARY SCHOOLYARD - DAY

Recess. Gazillian kids run, play and mingle. 

10-YEAR-OLD GIRL'S VOICE
                                                         Ever since my teacher mentioned
                                                         there are six billion people livin'
                                                         on Earth, I've been feelin' kinda
                                                         clausaphobic. And just my luck, I
                                                         happen to have one of those looks
                                                         that draw people close around me.
                                                         So close that it's hard to breath.

A stylish and super cute BLONDE, 10, a future supermodel,
                                               holds court with her admirers. BOYS and GIRLS eye and listen
                                               to her with star struck astonishment.  

10-YEAR-OLD GIRL'S VOICE (CONT'D)
                                                         No, that's not me.

The blonde walks away with her admirers following, revealing
                                               behind them a group of KIDS holding hands and circling around
                                               VERONICA "RONNIE" WEBBER, 10, wearing glasses and a colorful
                                               sundress, sitting on the bench, slouched over.

10-YEAR-OLD GIRL'S RONNIE
                                                         That's me, on the bench.

As the boys and girls skip around her, they tease and taunt
                                               her, making goofy faces.

10-YEAR-OLD GIRL'S RONNIE (CONT'D)
                                                         I really do need to find a look
                                                         that'll keep twits away from me.

BRANDON CLARKSON, 10, charges into the circle, breaking them
                                               up and shoving them away. The kids scream and rush off. He
                                               boots one boy in the butt to help him along. 

Brandon sits down beside Ronnie and rips open a package of
                                               candy. He takes her hand and pours some in.
                                This script advanced to the top 5% in a past Scriptapaloza
                                contest.

Knaight, my point is I'm always open mined to criticisms and
                                suggestions on how to get my pages stronger, but when someone
                                just says your pages are amateur and not say why or give
                                suggestions, like you didn't do since you said you've read my
                                pages, isn't cool or helpful.

Comment

Working...
                                X