Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At What Point Do You Involve the Agent/Lawyer

In the past few weeks I've had a whirlwind of very-new-for-me activity. Two separate individuals have contacted me about optioning my work (one for a short, one for a feature) and someone else has wanted to hire me for a writing assignment. Literally all this within two weeks.

For the feature I scurried around and bugged some lawyers and an agent I knew. Turned out it was stuff I could handle myself so far but the agent agreed to negotiate on my behalf.

So from your experience should I just handle this writing assignment thing on my own, too? Or go ahead and bug the agent again?

Along with this: how do I use this flurry of activity/buzz to my advantage? I'm officially unrepresented, though this agent has agreed to help out. (What I probably need is a LA-based manager...)

Do I query managers and mention this flurry of activity? Do I blog about it? (I sort of hate to tell too many people just the way it's always bad to tell people if you get a read-- regular civilians get all excited when in reality it's just another step up the ladder...) Advice?
    Thanks
    Last edited by cvolante; 06-04-2008, 12:51 PM.

Re: At What Point Do You Involve the Agent/Lawyer

If you can get the agent to do the haggling, that'd definitely be better. There's a lot of details that pro contracts should cover but don't get covered if there's no agent/lawyer involved.
    Steven Palmer Peterson

Comment

Thanks. I will. And I appreciate your response.

Comment

I am very glad that I hired an entertainment attorney in LA before signing the optioning of my book. Why?

The well know producer's production company optioned my book but then after 5 months choose to proceed with the same 'theme' but without me. Hence, the attorneys are involved now because the contract is still in force.

Comment

Working...
        X