Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Good Notes Cheap

(responded to particulars of request via email)

But since it's come up... I read every genre, and I like a good screenplay in any genre.

"Have you ever covered an [insert genre]" is the number one question I get, so maybe I should address this generally.

If there's ever determined to be a genre of script I haven't read, I'll be very pleasantly surprised. Drama, Comedy, Romcom, Historic, Action, Thriller, Mystery, Sci-Fi, Horror, Slasher, Procedurals, Sitcoms, comic books, book adaptations, sequels, remakes. it's all been on my desk as a film company reader and in my current service. Of course hybrid combinations of the above and subgenres exist.

The closest thing to a 'new genre' that I've run across, in books anyway, is this thing they're calling Bizarro Fiction. Exemplified by the book ShatnerQuake in which all the characters William Shatner has played gang up to try to kill him. Maybe you could argue that's close to the Charlie Kaufman brand of odd comedies.

Anyway, the answer to "Have you ever covered an [insert genre]" is yes.
    - - - - - - -
    Script consulting still going strong.

Details and updates here, as always: http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/...ead.php?t=9901

Comment

Let me just start by saying Bart didn't ask me to post in this thread.

It's been a bit quiet in this thread lately. Some of these comments are from years back. So I thought I would share my experience with anyone looking for feedback but hasn't used Bart's services before.

By looking over this thread, Bart gets a lot of praise. But what did I get with Bart?

Well, I sent my script to Bart on a Friday. He advised beforehand he was just finishing up some work but he would read my script on the weekend. I had the coverage back in my inbox on Sunday so his turnaround was 2 days. This guy is fast. He tells me the two days is him reading then sleeping on what I've sent him.

I also asked Bart to be real. No blowing smoke. Don't bs or sugar coat anything. Tell it like it is.

So, I received 2 sections of notes. Page by page notes which gives Bart's immediate reactions to scenes and events, pacing and writing style as he reads your script.

Then at the end there's more overall notes based on knowing the entire story and he gives you suggestions how to better reach your desired outcome.

That's his wording and it's accurate. I received 2 pages back of professional notes. They were very good and well worth the $135.

Now, here's where it gets interesting.

If there were 2 CAMPS; I LIKE THIS SCRIPT, or I DON'T LIKE THIS SCRIPT. Bart was in the I DON'T LIKE camp. But he left it open for discussion. A back and forth which invited any questions. He thought it would be good for me.

I wrote up my list of questions and sent them to Bart. I gave him my reactions to what he said and suggested potential fixes.

I didn't understand at that point that my band-aid fixes weren't fixing the real issues. There's core elements broken in my story. What I was trying to do wasn't feasible. I didn't understand that yet.

Bart never told me I couldn't do anything... But within 1 email, he responded back with some VERY important information about what I was proposing to do. I read what he said over and over again for 2.5 hours. He was right. The light came on.

He taught me a lot about character.. stuff I had no idea about. And told me about 3 films I could go and rent which taught me a lot as well... stuff I wasn't doing and didn't understand. But Bart thought I could learn from these films. He told me what to look out for. I've watched 1 of the films so far. If only I had this knowledge earlier.

I'm so thankful he gave me these suggestions. These lessons and info Bart gave me will most definitely help my rewrites and my future spec scripts.

I told him where I wanted my story to go. He told me what he thought and gave a few great suggestions. And gave me more information to think about. From what he was telling me, I started to get more what I needed to do to start writing at a higher level.

He also taught me about the 1st 10 pages.

He also suggested a few other things to help me.

I do believe, if I can study and understand everything.... and *implement* what I've learned from Bart/ the films, I'll be a better writer.

Anyway, hope this helps. I think someone else said this, but I'm glad I have someone like Bart in my corner. The best $135 I ever spent.

I'm out.

tony6pack

PS - thanks again.

Comment

Thanks, Tony. Always a pleasant surprise when someone feels the urge to post such praise.

Thanks much.

-B
        - - - - - - -

Details and updates here, as always: http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/...ead.php?t=9901

Comment

I've always thought self promotion in this context was a little gauche. So I hope folks will forgive what's been pointed out as my relative quiet...

In part, it's because I've been busy. Story work on three TV shows this year, a polish pass on a movie produced this fall, some work on a possible fiction deal, a rewrite of a feature under option and some web series participation.

With all that going on, I've been getting pretty much exactly the amount of script notes work I could handle in any given month- which was not a ton. (I really do like to keep my turnaround at 2 days.) I think this is a condition that plagues more than one good story analyst... our main career goals always seem to be on the verge of taking over our time.

I seem to have finally hit a lull, though, and rent is gonna stay due. I'll be knocking another $25 off my standing DD discount through the end of 2011, and hope to see new and returning faces to take advantage. I hope that previous testimony continues to speak to the quality and speed of my service. I do appreciate the now many years of continued patronage from regulars and lurkers alike.

Thanks and best wishes-

exthollywoodday(at)aol
          - - - - - - -

Comment

Last edited by ExtHollywoodDay; 01-01-2013, 03:30 PM.
            - - - - - - -

Comment

Helped my script get to the 2012 Nicholl semis

ExtHollywoodDay (Bart) helped my script get to the 2012 Nicholl semis.

Bart gave me excellent notes at a very reasonable price.

He identified some issues that I had not been aware of. I thought the script was as good as I could get it. Bart helped show me where it could be improved.

I should also add that after Bart’s feedback, I sent the revised and improved script to Screenplay Mechanic (EvilRbt here on DD) and ScritpGal. Both provided top notch feedback but the script was (at that point) at a pretty damn good level which made improving it further very tough.

We’re very lucky here on DD having writers/readers with their experience offering their services at these prices. Great service, great value.

Bart’s outstanding guidance helped me to make my script better, the end result: a semis placing (top 129 out of 7197 scripts) in this year’s Nicholl.
              Last edited by Presto; 10-10-2012, 03:55 AM.

Comment

Bart,

What are some of your credits, if you don't mind me asking? I couldn't find an IMDB page for you.

Comment

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1096914/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1
                  Last edited by ExtHollywoodDay; 01-05-2015, 07:16 PM.
                  - - - - - - -

Comment

Folks,

We have three really good script consultants on this board. We decided a long time ago to let them have threads where people could discuss their services.

It is all right, in Bart's thread, to say something nice about Amanda and Robert, or to say something nice about Bart in their threads. It is even all right to compare the work of one of them with that of one of the others, or with some other service.

But please do not come into one their threads and just post a plug for some other service.

Bart did not complain that someone had done this. I just happened to see it.

If you want to post something about, say, your experience with Monkey House Script Consulting, then start a thread and say that you had such-and-such kind of experience with Monkey House.

That is all. As you were ...

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

Congrats: I see you're on the leaderboard on VPF at the moment?

Comment

Don't Jinx me, Chris.

But yes, I've been getting a lot of requests for one of my old comedies.
                        - - - - - - -

Comment

I just consulted with Bart--for the first time--over two scripts I wrote last year and was VERY impressed. In fact, I recently tried 3 consultants and he easily bested the other two. Not only were his notes incisive and
                          helpful, he taught me something about screenwriting! I didn't care if he liked or disliked my scripts. (I got the impression he found them to be a mixed bag.) If you need someone to like your script, get your mom or a sibling to read it.

All I cared about was whether or not he could help them get better. In that respect I was supremely satisfied. He never gave a single note that was clearly clueless or insulting or had me scratching my head. In other words, very professional. His points always made sense and forced me to consider alternatives.

Comment

Thanks, Guy. Hope the rewrite's going well.
                            - - - - - - -

Comment

Happy 2015, everyone. Glad to have started it off with a new feature consult client. Keep 'em coming.

Spec season's just around the corner...

Best wishes--

B
                              - - - - - - -

Comment

I didn't think I should start a whole new thread for this so I'm piggybacking on this one:

Does anyone have any recommendations for readers that specialize in giving notes on television pilots and series outlines? Or at least one that charges accordingly?

Call me crazy but I don't think I should have to pay full price for coverage on a script half the length of a feature.

Comment

Working...
                                X