Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pitch Fests - Yay or Nay?

This is probably a question I should have posted before now... (But I want to keep my opinion out of it anyway.) I would love any feedback from either side of this question, though!

Are pitch fests (by whatever name) worthwhile? Either for writers or for reps or producers? My very minimal observation is that the people being pitched to are having to soak up dozens and dozens of (potentially terrible) pitches in a really short period of time. I feel like you could go in there and pitch Casablanca and everyone would say no just so they don't have to listen to another (potentially terrible) pitch.

I'm sure some events are of a higher quality than others and, in theory, it should attract the most dedicated writers (who can afford it) and the most willing professionals to attend. But does that theory work out in reality? I mean, dedication doesn't always equal quality. And even the most willing listener might really want to tune out after a zillion undeveloped or amateurish pitches...?

(Apologies if this has been asked elsewhere, but I couldn't find a similar thread.)

Re: Pitch Fests - Yay or Nay?

Nay

Comment

Originally posted by eireu2 View Post
      This is probably a question I should have posted before now... (But I want to keep my opinion out of it anyway.) I would love any feedback from either side of this question, though!

Are pitch fests (by whatever name) worthwhile? Either for writers or for reps or producers? My very minimal observation is that the people being pitched to are having to soak up dozens and dozens of (potentially terrible) pitches in a really short period of time. I feel like you could go in there and pitch Casablanca and everyone would say no just so they don't have to listen to another (potentially terrible) pitch.

I'm sure some events are of a higher quality than others and, in theory, it should attract the most dedicated writers (who can afford it) and the most willing professionals to attend. But does that theory work out in reality? I mean, dedication doesn't always equal quality. And even the most willing listener might really want to tune out after a zillion undeveloped or amateurish pitches...?

(Apologies if this has been asked elsewhere, but I couldn't find a similar thread.)
      I think pitchfests are an additional tool in your arsenal for getting your scripts read as a writer, so it would be a good idea to try it out at least once. Even if you don't get reads, it'll be useful for the pitching practice (participating industry reps often give useful feedback) and for the other events that are usually offered during the same period (screenwriting workshops, networking events).

If you were to go to just one I would do the Great American Pitchfest, the most well-known and attended by far (others include Hollywood Pitch Festival and Screenwriting Expo). I went last year and it was a great experience and learning process, and the organizers are extremely nice. The downsides are that you only get to see about 10-12 companies at most with the time you have. Also, some of the companies that were there in the morning dropped out by the afternoon (a little unfair to those who paid to see them). So, it's important to prioritize the companies you want to talk to and visit the top ones in the morning if possible.

As for your concern about companies feeling negative after hearing several bad pitches - I think that would actually work in your favor if you have a good one. You would stand out, and they would probably more eager to say "yes" to a read. Of course, you increase your chances of them doing so if your pitches are well-targeted - meaning if you have an action thriller script for example, you focus on companies that are seeking that type of script (and don't waste time on those who, say, have a preference for comedies).

As a side note, if you do go to one I highly recommend reading "Sell Your Story in 60 Seconds" by Michael Hauge beforehand. It was a great resource, and I got compliments on my pitching style from several industry reps.
      "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

Comment

I second The Great American Pitchfest. I went a few years ago and made a lot of great contacts and a few leads. The seminars/panels on pitching were really useful, too.

On top of everything the person above me just said, it was great to be able to see what the people looked like and how they responded and whether we liked each other or not -- night and day from just emailing a query (and this comes from someone who would always prefer to write rather than talk.)

Comment

I think if you've got the money and the time, pitchfests are worth doing at least once, especially if, like me, you are not living in LA.

I went to the inktip pitchfest last year and there are definitely some pros and cons to the whole process--and not inktip in particular, but the whole idea.

Inktip is more like a conference on day one which is useful depending on your writing level. And if you are a social person, day one could help you meet some people, although you would more than likely be meeting other aspiring writers. If you are short on funds and have a pretty good knowledge of screenwriting theory, or have taken other writing classes, read books, etc. you could probably skip day one without really missing anything.

I found the actual pitchfest helpful because, like I said, I'm not at all a part of the scene, so talking about my writing is something pretty foreign to me. If I pitched something to my friends in Indiana like producers seemingly do to everyone in LA, I'd have no friends.

So, just hearing yourself tell your story 30-40 times or whatever to tons of different people is extremely helpful. Getting rejected is extremely helpful. Figuring out that some people are just saying "Yes" out of politeness is extremely helpful. There are also cocktail parties and hotel bars that, again depending on your personality, could be beneficial.

For the most part, I think you have to go into pitchfests with the mentality that it's a learning exercise and not focus so much on making a deal. Do a lot of listening to how people in the business interact with each other. Probably the thing that stuck with me most of all was listening to two producers give a soft pass to each other's ideas over lunch.

Also, it's a good time to pay attention to your competition. Some people are absolute loons, some are competitive a-holes, some were character actors that we all know, and quite a few appeared to be very professional, intelligent people.

At inktip, probably because of the way you pitch to 3 or 4 producers at once, writing partners seemed to fair better than solo writers.

They also make a big deal about deals struck during the conference, but I wouldn't put much weight into that. Through talking to those writers, most of the deals were just six month free options, which is understandable since they were "buying" based on a 60 second pitch and without reading word one. Also, most of these appeared to be life story accounts, so that's kind of understandable, too.

I might do a pitchfest again, probably not Inktip just to see something different, although I think Inktip is fine if you haven't done it. I did meet some people that were very interested after my pitch, but nothing came of it. My percentage of reads was probably something like 25% of the people I talked to. It's always cool to reel one in, but I'm not the best at developing relationships, etc. and I guess my scripts weren't all that great either.
          On Twitter @DeadManSkipping

Comment

I pretty much agree with the last three posters. I went to GAPF the last two years. The first year I did the whole weekend. The following year I just went to a "Pitch Boot Camp" the night before (hosted by Scriptwriter's Network) and the event itself on Sunday. The Boot Camp was really helpful -- you're practicing and testing your pitch to fellow writers for a couple of hours, taking turns pitching and being pitched to. Good way to get honest feedback and hone your pitch.

I come from an advertising background with years of experience presenting creative campaigns to clients and new business prospects in high pressure situations, and nothing was as nerve-wracking as pitching my script one-on-one (or one-on-two) to potential buyers. So I think going to a pitchfest is an excellent way to practice your pitch skills, if for no other reason. Especially for those who don't have a lot of pitching experience.

Comment

Yay... if you have the right attitude and expectations going in. They are for making contacts and building relationships. They are not for selling your scripts there over the weekend. Go in with the first expectation and you'll have a rewarding experience. Go in with the second and you are going to have your dreams crushed (like the guy I saw crying in the bathroom at the last event I attended).

Comment

Originally posted by dave22 View Post
                Go in with the second and you are going to have your dreams crushed (like the guy I saw crying in the bathroom at the last event I attended).
                I knew someone was watching me....
                "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

Comment

I think it can be valuable and a lot of fun if you go with the right attitude.

Most importantly, if you are honest with yourself, you get the opportunity to road test your concepts by actually looking in someone's eyes while you are pitching your story. Do this ten or twelve times in a day and if your concept lacks an engaging premise then you will know it by the end of the day. That glazed over look is hard to ignore.

Comment

Thanks so much for all the perspective! I did attend a recent pitch fest and I felt like I spent a lot of time in lines and a lot of the must-see folks left at the break. I maybe only pitched to 10-12 people, which I thought was really low... But these things seem more common than I'd thought.

Mr. Earth, you are right on about the "competition" too. I was surprised at how many people were pitching concepts and had never really written anything. I wasn't expecting that.

And Geoff, absolutely, that glazed-over look is impossible to ignore! I could tell instantly who was genuinely interested and who was just being polite. No poker faces! It seemed psychological thrillers were not in high demand, so it was rough sailing for most of the day...

I didn't have any expectations whatsoever, but it was an expensive trip (with travel, hotel and the admission they ended up being very pricey pitches!), so I'm not sure I would do it again. Email seems to be almost as effective, percentage-wise, as much as I would like to meet more folks and network more. If I were to do it again, I'd have several pitches at the ready, rather than focusing on just one idea.

Comment

Working...
                    X