Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Screen Craft Horror

I saw they announced. Anybody here make it?
    Write, rite, wright... until you get it RIGHT.

Comment

I advanced... but then, so did 265 other writers. We'll see how it goes.

Comment

Kudos on advancing, Acquaformosa! Good luck! Does anyone know what % they use for quarters? 10%? 25%? I'm curious because a buddy and I entered a Pilot. We won't hear for about 6 weeks, but hope springs eternal.

Comment

Went on their facebook page(screencraft) and saw a few people in different genre contests asking the same thing... "when is such & such contest results going to be announced?" If one is running something like screencraft with 3 - 4 contests going on at once with different genres then who is reading them? How much volume is put on one reader? Read 5 horror scripts, 5 sci-fi scripts, 5 shorts scripts etc etc a week? A day?

Comment

This is highly unlikely. I've read for several contests and know of many others who read for some of the bigger ones, and there's no reason to read a script a second time just for the purpose of notes as that's simply a waste of time (a contest can have a second reader with a second set of notes, however). Usually, whoever does the reading also provides the feedback.

Originally posted by asteven50 View Post
            A couple things.

First, in most contests readers and feedback-givers are not the same people. Contests will employ people to do early round reading but writing the actual notes are usually handled by a more experienced group who have a development background, or in some cases by the proprietors of the contest themselves. There are of course exceptions to this, such as the Nicholl, where the readers are ALL people with development backgrounds, but I'm speaking from my experience here as a screencraft winner and as someone who has read for contests before.

Second, in all my experiences, readers aren't in control of what they read. In my case, batches of scripts were assigned randomly. You got about 10-15 at a time and when you were done, you asked for more. It wasn't a situation where you could pass on reading one script to choose another, regardless of whether or not the writer paid for notes.

Now, to your point on whether or not readers cut corners, skim, or just pretend to read scripts. Of course this happens, and it's not paranoid of you to think so. Readers are human beings. They're not going to waste time on something that clearly isn't going to move forward. When I was a reader, this was actually an instruction given to us by the head of the contest. I remember him saying something like "If you're 5 pages in and it's a story of a dish towel falling in love with a wash cloth, get the jist of it and move on". This is SOP for contests, but the effect of it is mitigated by the fact that most of the larger ones promise multiple reads on every script. So if you are the writer of Dish Towel meets Wash Cloth, you'd need two separate readers to both throw their hands up and say "screw this thing" in order to fail. It's a highly subjective process just like the rest of the industry.

Hope this helps shed some light.

A

Comment

Working...
            X