Villain's Plan--active antagonist--help!

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Villain's Plan--active antagonist--help!

Story needs a committed antagonist with an active plan. Okay, got that. But...

...what does ACTIVE really mean? It's the ACTIVE part that I'm having trouble with. Examples:

1. a specific, step-by-step plan to steal a billion dollars from the Nakatomi Building in the next 12 hours

2. a large and complex plan to pipeline heroin from Asia to the U.S. via Europe over a span of years

Both plans will hurt innocent people, both plans have logical goals, both plans require active implementation by the antagonist. But...

...is #2 just not active enough? It was active enough for THE FRENCH CONNECTION--or was it? Frog 1 and his cadre were being stalked by Popeye Doyle but not ACTIVELY committing much crime in real time. Not like Hans Gruber, killing hostages in front of our faces and blowing stuff up.

I recently read a script that involved a DEA agent disrupting a narcotics pipeline (like Popeye Doyle). I was asked for feedback, and said the main problem was a passive antagonist--the antagonist was basically sitting around fuming while the protagonist climbed a ladder of bad guys toward him for a final confrontation.

So. Is there a specific DEFINITION for an *active* plan?
    Last edited by SNAFU; 04-20-2011, 10:59 AM.

Re: Villain's Plan--active antagonist--help!

I don't think the specific definition you're looking for exists.

It might be a question of urgency.

What happens if the protagonist doesn't solve this problem now? What gets worse? If you've got this ongoing conspiracy to import drugs, well, nothing is going to get worse if your hero doesn't solve the problem. Things are just going to continue as they've been going. That lowers the stakes.

Similarly, what does your antagonist do once he realizes that the hero is tracking him down? You mentioned Die Hard: Hans is always one step ahead. He has a detailed plan which anticipates what the good guys are going to do, so he's not just sitting there twiddling his thumbs hoping his guys get the vault open before the FBI raids them.

In Star Wars, Darth Vader isn't just waiting for the Rebels to show up - they're BLOWING UP PLANETS trying to find them.

(re: The French Connection, recognize that you're talking about a 40-year-old movie that strikes a lot of modern viewers as very slow).

Comment

It's not just the about the plan. An active antagonist is someone throwing obstacles in the hero's path even as they're nipping at the hero's heels and breathing down his or her neck.
      Vancouver Screenwriters Meetup Group

Comment

Originally posted by SNAFU View Post
        So. Is there a specific DEFINITION for an *active* plan?
        they are Two Different Genres. What will work in an action movie, can't work in a detective story(or mystery)

Think about it...

telling a story two different way. It's a decision you make in the beginning of writing. I ahve these elements, so I'll write this genre...

Seems like common sense to me
        But this wily god never discloses even to the skillful questioner the whole content of his wisdom.

Comment

It might be a question of urgency.

Yes! That clarifies the issue for me. Thanks!

What gets worse?

Again, excellent clarification.

If you've got this ongoing conspiracy to import drugs, well, nothing is going to get worse if your hero doesn't solve the problem. Things are just going to continue as they've been going. That lowers the stakes.

True!

Comment

Working...
          X