Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Austin FF worth it?

Austin Film Festival - how helpful it it for making connections etc? Does it matter if you are second rounder, semifinalist, etc.? Does anyone have any personal stories about how it helped. I ask because it seems kind of expensive.

Re: Austin FF worth it?

Go because it is fun. Will it boost your career? That's a long shot. Will you have a blast? That's a sure bet.

Comment

it only gets marginally less expensive if you place in the competition. if you can afford it, you're guaranteed to have a great time, meet some cool writers, and learn at least something abut the craft/business.

Comment

I did meet great people and make some connections at the Austin FF, but I'd also say it's worth it just for how much it charges my writer batteries. I always come away from the panels and round table inspired to bust out scripts.

Comment

I can't say it's "worth it" in terms of leading to paying work because it probably won't.

But it's a lot of fun, you'll meet cool people, you'll learn something, and it will certainly inspire you.

I'll be there.
          "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Comment

In addition to being a great time and meeting great people, the conference also contains a lot of useful panels, so you can learn a bunch. If you are a second-rounder or better, they have special roundtables just for those folks. I'd say treat yourself.

Comment

It's absolutely worth it.

Comment

Thanks so much for the thoughtful replies - I appreciate it!

I'll see how the budget looks :-)

Comment

if you can afford it, i think it's definitely worth going.

i went last year and took some notes:

https://kiyong.wordpress.com/2015/11...festival-2015/
                  http://kiyongkim.com

Comment

It's worth it for exposure to the industry and a chance to meet and talk with people who are doing this as a real career. If you show well in the competition it can give a boost.

I did well in the pitch competition and it got me contact with a manager, a producer, and that script that went to a network. So it can and has opened doors, but the quality of the work has to carry the day. Mine was not yet ready for prime time.

Comment

Working...
                    X