WGA Firings - is this the worst time to try to find a manager/agent - or the BEST?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Worst time to try to find a manager/agent - or the BEST?

Sent out some queries late last week and got one reply. It was from a manager requesting a FEE to review my work. Stated the biz was insular and referral based. The Pay-To-Play was just to weed out the trash. I respectfully declined his offer and hope he gets a yeast infection in his man-gina.

Comment

Re: Worst time to try to find a manager/agent - or the BEST?

Originally posted by x32792 View Post
      Sent out some queries late last week and got one reply. It was from a manager requesting a FEE to review my work. Stated the biz was insular and referral based. The Pay-To-Play was just to weed out the trash. I respectfully declined his offer and hope he gets a yeast infection in his man-gina.
      SC?

Comment

Originally posted by Satriales View Post
        SC?
        Gotta be.

Comment

The Title Is So Long I Have To Edit It Ever Time I Post

That's one I never got myself from querying. I guess I at least was good at weeding out who not to query. Just kidding, I met some real jerks.

I don't know SC off the top of my head in 2019, but i bet I used to know in 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by AnyOtherName View Post
            Gotta be.
            Gotta pay the bills after releasing that clunker. Maybe *not* the one you want as a manager??

Comment

Re: WGA Firings

Originally posted by sidgrey View Post
              I cold queried 5 agents from each of the top 6 or so firms about my script, as well as about 30 managers as well, with only one response. Is this normal or does my query need work?

Basically my subject line is "_______ meets _______ spec (Academy Nicholl Finalist) and the body is an intro, logline, and very short bio about me.

Thanks!
              If there's even a scintilla of a chance your comparables are off (there probably is), I'd skip it. Genre and finalist in subject line. LOGLINE FIRST, then whatever. Likely your week spots are the comparables and the logline. If they no likey the logline, fuhgettaboutit.

Comment

Originally posted by nativeson View Post
                Gotta pay the bills after releasing that clunker. Maybe *not* the one you want as a manager??
                I have to wonder how much money this sort of thing can bring in. An extra $2,000 a year for damaging your reputation?

Comment

Re: 9

Now I'm just annoyed I can't figure it out as I'm almost positive I used to know who this person was and if they are such a person -- why even protect them at this point? PM me and relieve my pain! Or not. Either is fine.

Comment

Originally posted by ScreenRider View Post
                    I have to wonder how much money this sort of thing can bring in. An extra $2,000 a year for damaging your reputation?
                    I'd be shocked if he's not doing 2 per week. So 30k a year. For probably what? 200 hours of work?

Comment

Originally posted by Satriales View Post
                      I'd be shocked if he's not doing 2 per week. So 30k a year. For probably what? 200 hours of work?
                      I can see the appeal. He should just quite his side business managing screenwriters and focus his time on coverage.

Comment

Re: WGA Firings - is this the worst time to try to find a manager/agent -or the BEST?

Originally posted by AnyOtherName View Post
                        I went over this with sidgrey on another thread. He was a Nicholl *quarterfinalist,* but he doesn't think the "quarter" part makes a difference. So now he's sending queries all over town misrepresenting himself in a way that will be laughably transparent to every intended recipient.
                        it's **** like this that makes writers look bad. the first thing the recipient is going to do is verify the placement.
                        "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Originally posted by x32792 View Post
                          If it's who people referenced above, you dodged a bullet, trust me.

Comment

Worst of times?

There's so much stuff already out there, I suspect agents, managers and producers can go on for years without being even mildly inconvenienced by a dip in the supply.

Comment

Sc?

@Satriales and others. Sorry to be slow in my response (failed to check this thread, had my notifications turned off - my bad), Yes, it was SC.
                              Last edited by x32792; 05-11-2019, 12:19 PM. Reason: typo in title

Comment

Re: WGA Firings - is this the worst time to a manager/agent - or the BEST?

Someone mind PM'Img me who/what SC is? I have a manager but sometimes I'm asked by friends if I've heard of certain reps and it's useful to know what creeps to steer them away from.

Comment

Working...
                                X