Click here for Done Deal Pro home page
Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2016, 12:59 PM   #1
EnsconcedinVelvet
User

Default ProdCo by Genre

Is there a list of production companies sortable by genre? Thanks.
EnsconcedinVelvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 01:31 PM   #2
Done Deal Pro
Administrator

Default Re: ProdCo by Genre

Our entire main site database is setup and designed to do just such this thing. It's one of the big reasons that DDP exists. To be upfront and fair, I will note a few caveats:

The main site is subscription based, yes, but we're not expensive. There is contact info for various companies but we won't claim to be IMDBpro or anything like that. Are we perfect? No. But we do have a fair amount of info to work with.

From each company page, you can then quickly search via a link to see what other film and/or TV projects they have set up/in the works. One is able to do broad searches down to very narrow ones using the various filters available on the company search page. You can run searches until your fingers turn blue, if you like.

Other than that, maybe some folks can chime in with some other sites & suggestions as well, which they like to use.

If you have any specific questions, fire away. I'll be glad to answer as best I can. We don't want anyone subscribing if we can't help.
Done Deal Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 02:13 PM   #3
EnsconcedinVelvet
User

Oops. I only use the main page as a gateway to the forums. Thank you for clueing me in.
EnsconcedinVelvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 02:41 PM   #4
Done Deal Pro
Administrator

It's all right. It happens.

You can go to the FAQ page on the main site and see some screenshots of what our info looks like first, if you like. That might help a little too, before you make any decisions about what's best for your needs.
Old 02-01-2016, 04:40 PM   #5
wsaunders
Regular

I just purchased a subscription, was hoping that emails were included. Also how often is it updated? I was cross referencing some info between DDP and Imdbpro and noticed some discrepancy
wsaunders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 06:44 PM   #6
Done Deal Pro
Administrator

We don't list tons of emails. Never really have that much. If it's submitted by the company, we include it or if they list it on their site, etc. then it's included. But we never take the liberty to just start adding them in without "permission" even if we know and or can figure out what it might be.

Yes, there could be some discrepancies between our info and IMDBpro. We don't have their overhead and staff to keep up with all. Also individuals go in and update their own info at IMDB for various reasons on their site which of course helps take the load off of them. But that said, just because it's different doesn't mean their info is correct and ours is wrong. I know folks have come to us and noted certain info we had was more up to date, so it's not always certain. If you are concerned about something in particular, let me know. I can do my best to research & double check.

And company info is updated as often as we can and as best as we can. Sometimes daily. Sometimes weekly as info comes in about moves, new hires, exits from a company, etc. But again, without a huge staff like IMDBpro has, things can be missed. That's why we're not nearly as expensive, of course. Also, our main focus is first and foremost about the actual deals, as I always tell folks. If all you were really looking for was emails then shoot me a PM or email.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:05 PM   #7
wsaunders
Regular

Of course, I don't regret the purchase, just disappointed by the lack of emails, but I also understand the reasons behind it. I doubt the execs would appreciate them being there. I'm trying to put together a list to query so looking up email structure for every company can be daunting.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:20 PM   #8
Done Deal Pro
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsaunders View Post
Of course, I don't regret the purchase, just disappointed by the lack of emails, but I also understand the reasons behind it. I doubt the execs would appreciate them being there. I'm trying to put together a list to query so looking up email structure for every company can be daunting.
Understood. Well, as so many have done in the past, you can always ask folks to PM you a particular company's e-mail or individual's email, in the respective forum. People have done that for years and helps keep us out of the line of fire.

Again, if you get in trouble with something let me know. I'll do what I can to help.
Old 02-05-2016, 07:52 PM   #9
wsaunders
Regular

Will,

Thought I'd ask this here since we were most recently talking about DoneDeal's service. In the deal breakdown's notes it will say Name1 and Name2 to produce, and name3 to over see? What does over see mean?
Old 02-05-2016, 09:53 PM   #10
Done Deal Pro
Administrator

It literally means what is says, actually.

Mike Smith or Jane Doe will oversee the project for say the studio. He or she will be the point person and watch over the project on the studio's behalf. An executive is assigned to every studio feature to oversee it as well as basically every TV show. They are the point person that the EP/line producer and the PM (Production Manager) deal with on a day to day basis while the movie is being made. They get the call sheets, they get the daily production reports, etc. They sometimes have to approve overages. Expenses.

Not to possibly state the overly obvious, but when you're (a studio head) handing someone millions upon millions of dollars to go make a movie you want someone (a production executive) there on your behalf to make sure things are running smoothly since you have a lot on your plate each day already. They are "foot soldiers." In most cases they are a SVP or VP for the company. Though on occasion one will see Creative Executives being assigned to oversee a film from either the studio (or the production company).

And most of the bigger and even medium size production companies will also have one of their own people help to oversee the project as well. It could be in a more development type position but they could also be a point person to try to protect the production company's interest as well.

We constantly had to deal with the studio executives on movies I've worked on. They wanted to know why this was being spent or why something took longer that day to shoot than expected. They'd come to set some. They definitely will call and argue/debate about expenses. They'd have to sign off on certain things. They can be a nag. They can be an ally. Just depends on the individual and also the day, sometimes.

Does that help? Make sense?