Breaking Bad... (continued from ctp's thread)

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breaking Bad... (continued from ctp's thread)

Originally posted by docgonzo View Post
    Gilligan's intention with BB has always been to turn Mr. Chips into Scarface. He's talked about that quite a bit.
    I have no problem with that idea. But Scarface as much as I love it, is over the top. It wasn't exactly nuanced. Breaking Bad was nuanced. Imo, in a race to the end, nuance, the smarter subtlety that was part of the show is, imo, falling by the way side. There were moments, but it felt like Gilligan used mostly broad strokes to paint the canvas in the last half-season.

But of course I'll still most certainly watch it in July.
    #writinginaStarbucks #re-thinkingmyexistence #notanotherweaklogline #thinkingwhatwouldWilldo

Re: Breaking Bad... (continued from ctp's thread)

I just hope that Walt is smart instead of dumb. I hope everything goes to hell *despite* him outwitting everyone, not because he's dumber than the other characters in the show.

This is something I'm seriously fearful of. Bad Walt is cool, Dumb Walt is not.

Comment

I feel bad, I am such a loser!!

Just discovered BB in last month or so. I was ensnared. Like a vortex
      inexorably drawing me in. I watched it. All of it, on netflix. Twice. With
      captions on. Well, through S4 anyways. Waiting patiently for S5.

I loved the way they wrote dialogue, the way they built conflict in almost
      every scene, and the unexpected plot events as nearly every scene unfolded.
      I still think Jesse's acting at times was out of this world...

Also studied Tom Reed's BS2 Analysis-- found here, I hope:

http://www.blakesnyder.com/wp-conten...wn-0816121.pdf

I only found one script to read and that was awesome too. Think S3, first episode.

well, my two cents...
      " Don't really like writing. But I do like having written." Vince Gilligan, Breaking Bad.

Comment

MJ- the <redacted> site has the pilot script and 3 scripts from season 3- it's a great resource for TV scripts of all types.
        Last edited by Rathmon; 02-05-2013, 08:49 PM. Reason: chastised via PM
        Words... they don't arrange themselves.

Comment

Thank you Rathmon, just checked out link. I read a couple of episodes, including finale of Quantum Leap (which I could't find to watch on internet). In terms of style, man they get away with murder while writing...

Appreciate it!!
          " Don't really like writing. But I do like having written." Vince Gilligan, Breaking Bad.

Comment

Great show!

Halfway through S3 on Netflix right now.

I do hope someone kills Skylar in one way or another...

Comment

So here's my beef with Breaking Bad:

When I first watched it, I felt like ZOMG I HAD NO IDEA TV COULD BE THIS GOOD. (And I had already seen Firefly.) But Breaking Bad has become a different show. The Breaking Bad that blew me away was a show about a man forced to navigate several colliding worlds (family, cancer, and drug making/dealing) and the show was very, very good. But from season four on (the shift really started in season three but IIRC, the tone hadn't changed yet), the show hasn't been about that, it's been a show about a rising drug lord. It's a very, very good show about a rising drug lord but I really preferred Breaking Bad. YMMV

Comment

Originally posted by ctp View Post

When I first watched it, I felt like ZOMG I HAD NO IDEA TV COULD BE THIS GOOD. (And I had already seen Firefly.) But Breaking Bad has become a different show. The Breaking Bad that blew me away was a show about a man forced to navigate several colliding worlds (family, cancer, and drug making/dealing) and the show was very, very good. But from season four on (the shift really started in season three but IIRC, the tone hadn't changed yet), the show hasn't been about that, it's been a show about a rising drug lord. It's a very, very good show about a rising drug lord but I really preferred Breaking Bad. YMMV
                This is the problem with every show. They always lose their source of ideas and taper off. I've been getting a little frustrated with The Walking Dead lately but it has been picking up again.
                The Best Impersonation of Christian Bale Freak Out!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fd5631H6KuE

Comment

I appreciate the challenge and I'll watch the new episodes but I think BB has suffered from this problem worse than most shows. My $.02.

Comment

Originally posted by ctp View Post

See, that is a YOU problem. Offense intended when I say this- you don't want the premise to change then stick with CSI/NCIS or Simpsons/Spongebob crap. *

The path WW has taken seems natural- the wanting more, faster, harder, etc, aspect isn't new to human nature. The creators have done a great job pushing the relationships to breaking, pushing the good to bad- what the premise really is, right? I'd type more, to expound upon what a great job the series has done on many levels, but I'm on an iPod. (That's a ME problem)

* (I get tired of seeing 'no offense intended' and really, those shows I mentioned.... not much difference between season 1 and 13, right?)
                    Words... they don't arrange themselves.

Comment

Agree with Rathmon. Walt going from meek chemistry teacher to egotistical drud lord has always been the intention. Or as Vince Gilligan put it, Mr. Chips turning into Scarface. I find it incredible that people think the show has lost its way when this is exactly what BB's creator wanted to do in the first place. If you don't like it, fine, that's your opinion and you're welcome to it. But to insinuate that they just ran out of ideas and said, "Hey let's make him a kingpin!" is just wrong.

Comment

I've been a big fan of BB. Maybe it is a me problem that I feel the show went from great nuanced TV to a lesser nuanced program, an amc version of Scarface.

There is a noticeable difference in the pacing and between the last half season and almost all of the episodes leading up to Gus Fring's death.

I'll still watch. But I'll miss the old BB.
                        #writinginaStarbucks #re-thinkingmyexistence #notanotherweaklogline #thinkingwhatwouldWilldo

Comment

I'm still baffled by die hard Breaking Bad fans who said that the first 8 episodes of season 5 were actually better than the previous 4 seasons.

Last season felt rushed, and yet nothing really transpired. Hopefully Vince and the writers end it well.
                          Introduce a little anarchy.

Comment

Originally posted by Ire View Post
                            I've been a big fan of BB. Maybe it is a me problem that I feel the show went from great nuanced TV to a lesser nuanced program, an amc version of Scarface.

There is a noticeable difference in the pacing and between the last half season and almost all of the episodes leading up to Gus Fring's death.

I'll still watch. But I'll miss the old BB.
                            Originally posted by docgonzo View Post
                            Agree with Rathmon. Walt going from meek chemistry teacher to egotistical drud lord has always been the intention. Or as Vince Gilligan put it, Mr. Chips turning into Scarface. I find it incredible that people think the show has lost its way when this is exactly what BB's creator wanted to do in the first place. If you don't like it, fine, that's your opinion and you're welcome to it. But to insinuate that they just ran out of ideas and said, "Hey let's make him a kingpin!" is just wrong.
                            I think both viewpoints ring true. What was genius about the first few seasons was the 50/50 give-and-take between the "good" Mr. White and "bad" Heisenberg. Now it's almost all (one-dimensional) Heisenberg and as such the character has lost some of that richness. But...so the thankful logic in "closing up shop" with 8 more eps of tightly fleshed-out Heisenberg arc -- which I commend AMC/Gilligan for. Vs. dragging B.B. out based on its popularity alone and leaving it a watered-down filler of its former masterful self.

Comment

Originally posted by YakMan View Post
                              I think both viewpoints ring true. What was genius about the first few seasons was the 50/50 give-and-take between the "good" Mr. White and "bad" Heisenberg. Now it's almost all (one-dimensional) Heisenberg and as such the character has lost some of that richness.
                              Yup.

And also: Walt was always an underdog, surviving thanks to his wits.

In the last season they started making him stupid. He is turning into the dumbest character in show.

I have no problem with Walt turning into a bad guy, and a drug overlord. I always knew that's where the series is going, and that's where it should go.

But I wanted to root for the bad Walt, even if I would feel guilty for it. I have no problem rooting for anti-heroes, as long as they are admirable in some ways. But lately Walt has been turning into dumb Walt instead of bad Walt.

I don't think *that* was the original intention of the series. Now it's starting to feel like a story of how an intelligent man becomes a stupid man. I don't like that character arc.

Comment

Working...
                              X