Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sure. The buzz can be good on your spec, just like it can be bad.
    I've read articles on how good buzz has really impacted a script in a very positive way. Good buzz makes people put that spec on the top of the stack, from what I read.

Comment

Let me ask you this, then. I'm assuming a tracking board either shows a pass or an accept. Or does it include comments such as, "We passed here at Dreamworks, but not without admiring the writer's sheer brilliance"? How can it otherwise generate buzz?

Comment

I'm not an expert on them but that's not really what they are like from what I've seen and heard.

It's more people having discussions about projects going out or being shopped around say, similar in fashion to the way everyone here discusses films they've seen. Agents and managers are not allowed on the development exec boards. (They do screen people before allowing them on.)

I doubt seriously anyone has really written: ""We passed here at Dreamworks, but not without admiring the writer's sheer brilliance." It's more along the lines, "I read 'Zombie Camp' and it stunk. Didn't work at all. Don't waste your time." Or "Did everyone hear about that script AAC is going out with? Oh, God. What a joke. They wouldn't recognize a good script if it flew up their ass."

Not everything is bad by any means, but it's not there for one to simply log onto then quickly see what's been passed and accepted. Some larger companies have boards to themselves for employees to use and exchange info about material.

They are essentially private message boards for a group to exchange opinions, thoughts, info, etc. just like here. I'm sure some posters are better than others. Some people nicer than others. Just like here.

Comment

Thanks, DD. Informative and enlightening as always. Much appreciated,
          Jake

Comment

manager/producers?

I've wondered, when you send your script to manager/producers, say, Zide/Perry or Bender Spink, etc., etc., etc?

Do they get tracked, even though you were looking for a manager? After all, these guys are producers, too.

Comment

Re: manager/producers?

I again, don't want to talk from years of experience since I'm not on the tracking boards at this time, but my conversations about them with people that do run them has been that agents & managers have their own separate boards. There's generally not mixing between the prod. companies and representation on these things.

I think it'd be safe to assume that even managers that produce would be essentially treated as managers first and foremost when "discussions" about scripts going around we're being made and or when decisions were made about who could join a tracking group.

Comment

I have no real idea about the above, but Zide/Perry has two seperate divisions, a management group, and a production company, (and two only slightly different names, but still different) could an entity like that join both groups.

I would think just from the management/prod co's position, each division would want to have imput to the board that meets their specific needs.

Would that be a possibility in a case like that? Where the script in their hands might conceivably be tracked on both types of boards at the same time?

I'm not at that stage yet, but it's an intriguing concept. Sort of one company with a split personality. LOL

Tami

Comment

I'll add this one thought/view on that question... Keep in mind these folks are more "freely" discussing their opinions on material than they would say face to face with the manager or agent or writer, if you catch my drift. Thus, you really don't want the people your talking about behind their backs knowing what you are saying.

A management company that has a production arm will, in pretty much every case, be in the same offices only a few feet from each other. People on the boards are going to be aware of this or keep something of that nature in mind when deciding who joins their group and why. The groups don't want everyone and their mother in their participating. They don't want people with a conflict of interest mixing it up in there, necessarily. I'd be willing to bey that they any management company that also "produces" would be more or less categorized as managers, in terms of joining certain tracking boards.

Comment

Okay, thanks Will. I was just curious when thinking of such a 'different' situation as that.. I see your point, and it makes sense.

By the way... THANK YOU for all your time spent here, and the work you guys do both with this board, and the site, it's a tremendous service to those of us learning the ropes.

Tami

Comment

Re: What If?...

Here's an idea...

A desperate screenwriter hacks into a tracking board and creates artifical 'buzz' about his spec script about computer crime currently doing the rounds. Before long, he lands the biggest deal in Hollywood's history in a fierce bidding war - artificially manipulated by himself, and is the toast of the town. Until....

Just a thought!

Comment

Working...
                      X