Best and worst scripts you've read lately?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best and worst scripts you've read lately?

Preferably either produced or professional work.

Astonishingly, the worst script I've read recently wasn't from triggerstreet.com or anything like that... although I remember one heart-stoppingly hilarious piece of description that went as such: "The next day they rob the bank and it goes off without a hitch. The next day...".

It was the Batman: Year One script, which showcases Frank Miller's love of beating up hookers (purely fictionally... I hope). Batman spends too much time addressing his father in voice overs that are mostly there to constantly remind you that he's psychotic and dressing up in a makeshift costume cobbled together solely from Sports Authority.

For the best, it's a toss-up between Jacob's Ladder and Darkman. Jacob's Ladder is one of my favorite flicks, despite my own general dislike of horror, due to masterful understatement. The script was an earlier version which took more pains to spell out what was definitely happening, and while it was a damn intense read I think some of the early scenes meandered off the plot a bit too far.

Darkman was just a crazy, kinetic read that I had trouble putting down. There are too many writers to know who to credit, but it felt like they must have been on a combination of speed and genius pills.

This is only from my recent reading, keep in mind. I've read better and I've read worse, but this is what's standing out in my mind right now.

Yours?

Re: Best and worst scripts you've read lately?

I read LOOPER and was shocked at how much I didn't like it. The concept was incredibly cool, but it was paid off with a lot of tension-less scenes in static locations, and the entire second half of the movie turns into corn fields with two new main characters I couldn't give a **** about and with the main protag sitting on his ass waiting for something to happen.

Hated the ending as well. And all the montages.

Comment

The best one I have read within the last year or so is Buried. Was curious how you could write 90 pages about someone in a box. Amazing script, one of the few page turners I have come across.

Comment

In terms of delivering a page-turning thriller, I gotta go with Source Code. The script hits you right from the jump and sucks you in.

Comment

I'm into the middle of both but I think the tones of "Mixtape" ... with its nice, subtle, touchy-feely character moments and "Tales From The Gangster Squad" with its dime store crime novel spew -- are two completely opposite and excellent studies on how to match the temperament of the narrative to the story being told.

Comment

Brigands of Rattleborge.

Umbra. - has this been optioned again? Could be made ON THE CHEAP. I might look into it.

Comment

Has anyone read a script by Walter Hill? He got style! I enjoy his Alien and The Warriors script.

Comment

Got a problem. I just read a review on ScriptShadow about the script Haunted by Eric Kripke. It's got me really worried because it sounds very similar to a script I've written. If anyone's read it and can give me a pretty in-depth overview of it, including twists, in a PM, I'd really, really appreciate it.

*Not asking for a trade, and I have nothing to trade with. Just very concerned.

Comment

Reading The Warriors now. Walter Hill is some kind of brevity master.

Comment

Originally posted by Vance View Post
                    Reading The Warriors now. Walter Hill is some kind of brevity master.
                    It's poetry. Not to be imitated. In Hard Times, using slugs, he directs ever scene, really.

Comment

Imitated, no, but it's inspired me enough to go back to an editing job I was dreading and make the necessary snips.

Comment

Shane Black's Lethal Weapon is a GREAT read!!! I enjoy reading the script more than watching the film, and watching the film is great... love Black's style!
                        INT. DR. GONZO'S HOTEL ROOM - NIGHT

A glass of BOURBON in one hand and a COMPUTER MOUSE in the other,
                        Dr. Gonzo contemplates getting off the message board and back to his script.

Comment

Best:

- The Gangster Squad

- Seeking a Friend for the End of the World

- The Grey

- Murder of a Cat

- Django Unchained

Worst:

- Road to Nardo

- Neighborhood Watch

Comment

If you want a great study on minimalism in the use of the Action line, and the craft of tying together drama with "telling detail" and "key emotions" - read "Shame." The script is mostly one-line action descriptions. ...although it sure cudda used a proof reader! Its one flaw - it never really explained the character's motivations which led to his sexual addiction. There are but two or so beats or allusions where I would've like to have seen more.

Comment

I read a script last night which sold in 2011, and it is utterly horrible. I can't mention it because I think the writer is a member of this forum, but nonetheless, still in disbelief that it was purchased.

Comment

Working...
                              X