Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Highest Grossing Female Screenwriter"

If the emphasis was about being "female" and the "best" screenwriters, I'd not be looking at the gross box office receipts as a measure of talent.

If women want a "female" role model with screenwriting talent, I'd suggest Frances Marion, June Mathias, and Ruth Prawer Jhabvala, (instead of someone whose screenplays have only been nominated for Razzie awards).

"As one of the first screenwriters to include details such as stage directions and physical settings in her work, Mathis saw scenarios as a way to make movies into more of an art form. Much of the present standard screen writing styles can be attributed to her. Mathis later credited her success to a strong concentration on plot and theme: 'No story that did not possess a theme has ever really lived.... Occasionally one may make money and perhaps be popular for a time. But in the end it dies.'" ~ "June Mathis" @ Wikipedia

JEKYLL & CANADA (free .mp4 download @ Vimeo.com)

Comment

Re: Melissa Rosenberg Highest Grossing Female Screenwriter

Ruth Gordon, Leigh Brackett, Callie Khouri,Nora Ephron, Nancy Meyers... The list goes on and on of successful "role model" women writers...
      Last edited by DangoForth; 12-25-2011, 09:53 AM.

Comment

I am the highest grossing male screenwriter with a wife and thirteen children living on a miniranch...
        Just one wife? You're doing it wrong.

Oh boy, you're one helluva catch, huh? BUY unless she offers, dick. LOL
        But she's like super rich and I'd be obligated to put out so it's a win-win.

I haven't seen any announcements heralding "highest grossing African American screenwriter ... or gay screenwriter ... or Catholic screenwriter ... and so on and so on.
        *Everybody knows there are no gays working in Hollywood. Let's stick to reality here.

*sarcasm. Now go make some industry contacts, http://gaywesthollywood.com/

Similar headlines have been made in regards to Spike Lee, Singleton and the Hughes Bros for directing.

There are plenty of successful women writers. The only difference is that many women, either by choice or for other reasons, tend to stay away from typical big budget flicks. Doesn't mean they are any less talented, just that most of the women I know aren't aroused by 50ft transforming robots the same way my guy buddies are. But, we all know girls are weird. 50ft transforming robots are epic awesomeness!

I read that Melissa Rosenberg may be writing the Highlander reboot.
        Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue

Comment

So here is what's strange about the Rosenberg haters and Mac's post - here we have a successful screenwriter who happens to also be a woman who is writing big mainstream popular stuff... and she's getting crap for writing big mainstream popular stuff!

Um - I think this ties in directly to Mac's post. When screenwriters who happen to be women write something popular, they get crapped on *by other women* who think they should have written something less popular but more artistic. That is loser talk (at least - loser in those studies Mac is talking about). Because if screenwriters who just happen to be women don't write popular material, they will continue to write films that make 68% less than screenwriters who happen to be male... and no one will hire them.

Now, here's the thing - I have never been part of an elite military unit that takes on an evil organization led by a notorious arms dealer even though I am a screenwriter who happens to be male. By the way - I'm also kind of a shy bookish male. You know, I'm a *writer*. But when I am writing a movie script or a story of some sort I do not write about small emotional things that may have happened to me in real life, I attempt to write big fun entertainment that I would be first in line to see on the big screen - stuff with explosions. That is not something that happened to me (though every script contains parts of my life story between explosions and automatic weapons fire). Part of this screenwriting thing is a *job* - that is, I am working for others. In this case - people who buy tickets and the producers who buy scripts to be made into films for them. As a "job", one of the things I think about as a storyteller is the people I am telling a story to - without those people I am not a storyteller, I am a crazy person talking to myself.

So here comes Rosenberg who writes a popular series of films (based on a popular series of books) and gets trashed... for being popular? How will screenwriters who happen to be women ever get over that 68% thing if they trash the people who are not part of that 68% thing? If you trash success and worship failure?

By the way - screenwriters who happen to be men do this as well... and it is equally self destructive and stupid. Plus, it is envy which I believe is one of the Seven Deadly Sins. Why is the person who writes popular things so popular and I, who write brilliant-but-unpopular things, so unpopular?

Melissa is married. Her husband is a director. I kind of know him. She ain't gonna date you.

- Bill
          Free Script Tips:
          http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Right. Sheer envy. You really have to question how much you love screenwriting if you have time to hate on those who have made it.
            "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
            - Screenwriting Friend

Comment

Melissa is married. Her husband is a director. I kind of know him. She ain't gonna date you.
              It was a joke.

But if I put on my A game, plus a little sex panther cologne (60% of the time, it works every time) I can't be held responsible for what happens.

OK, enough screwing around.

More power to her.

I'd like to see more women writers embrace typically make dominated genres.

C'mon ladies, I know all of you have a zombie screenplay you're dying to write.
              Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue

Comment

I wrote a zombie screenplay before it was trendy.

I'm glad for her, just like I'm glad for Diablo Cody. I used to be jealous, and then I realized that was dumb. We're all in this together.
                Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

i'm only jealous of idiots and jerks who get their crappy flicks made... you know the ones that have diarrhea for dialogue and constipation for storytelling.

anyway -- if JKRollings wrote her own screenplay adaptations then she would definitely be the highest grossing..., but such is life.

Comment

"Highest Grossing" Screenwriters

Originally posted by wcmartell View Post
                    ...here we have a successful screenwriter who happens to also be a woman who is writing big mainstream popular stuff... and she's getting crap for writing big mainstream popular stuff!

...I have never been part of an elite military unit that takes on an evil organization led by a notorious arms dealer even though I am a screenwriter who happens to be male....

By the way - screenwriters who happen to be men do this as well... and it is equally self destructive and stupid. Plus, it is envy which I believe is one of the Seven Deadly Sins. Why is the person who writes popular things so popular and I, who write brilliant-but-unpopular things, so unpopular?
                    My only gripe with the article was the hype over the "highest grossing" part, as tho that was a measure of screenwriting talent. I don't know the "highest grossing" screenwriters who may also happen to be male, gay, transsexual, Black, Asian, Jewish, Muslim, blind, etc., nor do I really care. It's their writing talents that matter to me.

I'd like to make millions of dollars for writing a screenplay. and I might be a bit jealous of the celebrity actors who can get such a paycheque for each of their film contracts. I don't envy their work, (and publicity), knowing that I haven't got their acting talents. Still, I don't admire actors based upon their earnings, their popularity, nor how many of the "highest grossing" films that they've appeared in with a leading role.

Altho I have not sold any action screenplays, I have had dealings with the FBI, CIA, NSA, RCMP, CSIS, CSE, and played an important role in getting intercepted Nazi spy messages declassified in Canada. I haven't received a penny, (and spent a great deal of my own money), from that work, yet; but, I might be able to write a couple of the most authentic screenplays concerning espionage and code-breaking, as a result of my efforts. And, I'd not envy Stephen King's, nor J.K. Rowling's, literary outputs concerning the supernatural, tho my editions of Fort's books haven't sold as many copies, as their fictions.
                    JEKYLL & CANADA (free .mp4 download @ Vimeo.com)

Comment

If you are interested in highest grossing screenwriters without mention of gender, here's that list:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/people/...er=DESC&p=.htm

And I think it goes on almost forever...

- Bill
                      Free Script Tips:

Comment

Originally posted by wcmartell View Post
                        If you are interested in highest grossing screenwriters without mention of gender, here's that list:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/people/...er=DESC&p=.htm

And I think it goes on almost forever...

- Bill
                        What I found interesting was the smattering of rom-coms on that list.

Still -- the fact that the vast majority of titles were films you could take your kids to see speaks volumes.
                        Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

simple statistics -- the wider the audience, the more ticket sales PG always trumps R is the money-making business.

but most screenwriters know that these blockbuster movies have very little sway on an academy award nomination for best screenplay or adaptation.

Comment

And vice versa... which is why so few studio films are nominated. They let indie guys go make their own movies for the Oscars, while they hire screenwriters to make movies for mass audience films. The way a studio gets a horse in the Oscar race is to adapt a novel... and usually that is from a writer-director-producer.

- Bill
                            Free Script Tips:

Comment

Re: melissa rosenberg highest grossing female screenwriter

Originally posted by Filmfelinemeowmeow View Post
                              Tia Carrara also won a grammy, it don't mean she's the best. It just means she sold a lot and there was not much competition
                              Carrere...
                              "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

Originally posted by sc111 View Post

I haven't seen any announcements heralding "highest grossing African American screenwriter ... or gay screenwriter ... or Catholic screenwriter ... and so on and so on.

Num's the word on the first category, sc. Num's the word...
                                "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

Working...
                                X