X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New Black List Thread - Franklin Leonard answers your questions

Hi Franklin,

I really appreciate the work you've put into the Blacklist and the improvements made over the past year. However, I do have a concern about the visibility of scripts hosted on the site. It could be that I'm not using the search correctly, but it doesn't appear possible to search by the script's rating, which seems like a key piece of functionality that is missing.

What if a pro wanted to find all the scripts that were a specific genre and had an average rating over 7 (or 8, etc.) Is this search possible?

It seems that the only way a screenplay will display in search results is if that script has had a certain number of reviews in a specific time period. (Such as 2 in the last month or 4 in the last year.) Since reviews come in at different times, that means that even if a script had two reviews with above average ratings it may only show up in search results for one or two weeks. It also means that a script could have two reviews and an 8 average, but if one of the reviews is 30+ days old a person's script with a 6 average and a newer review would display in the top list and the higher rated script would not.

This seems strange to me. Shouldn't the top lists actually display higher rated scripts, not ones that fall into some arbitrary time bracket?

I don't understand why the screenplay's rating isn't a searchable field? You could include a filter/date field if someone wanted to *only* see newer scripts, but why exclude highly-rated scripts that are hosted on the site from displaying in top lists? Or why can't you search by rating in a general search?

Please correct me if I've misunderstood the searching methods on the Blacklist. But if I've understood them correctly, could you please consider adding an option to search by rating to the pro's dashboards and to other searches? Or allow scripts to display that might have less than two reviews, or ratings that don't fall into a certain date range, but their average shows that they are really "top rated"?

Thanks for listening to our suggestions.

Suzanne

P.S. Another thought: what if you sorted the results in a general search by rating, also. So if I did a search for all "Animation" screenplays, the search results would be ordered from highest average rating to lowest rating. (Maybe they are sorted that way currently, but it doesn't appear that way to me. I just get a list of all animation scripts, in no particular order.)
    Last edited by sallain; 05-06-2014, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sallain View Post
      Remove Script, then Add Script.
      Thanks.
      Seems simple enough.

Comment

How does the pilot side of the BL work? Do you need a treatment, bible, pilot already written out?
        http://www.pjmcilvaine.com/

Comment

Originally posted by LIMAMA View Post
          How does the pilot side of the BL work? Do you need a treatment, bible, pilot already written out?
          You need at least the pilot. Treatment and bible are optional, although it would help to have either uploaded as well.

Comment

Originally posted by happywash View Post
            Just curious as to what time the Monday email/newsletter touting the 8s and above goes out?
            I have the same question. Does anyone have an answer for this?

Comment

Would also be curious when it's compiled.

eg, if you get a script which has an 8 and 9 in sub-categories, where the review goes live Sunday night, will it make the Monday email?

Comment

Originally posted by Ronaldinho View Post
                Would also be curious when it's compiled.

eg, if you get a script which has an 8 and 9 in sub-categories, where the review goes live Sunday night, will it make the Monday email?
                If it's not an 8 overall rating, it's my understanding it won't go out in the Monday email but in a separate email, later in the week. To quote Franklin:

"Every Monday, our industry professionals receive an email that includes the titles, authors, genres, and loglines of scripts that received high (8+) overall ratings from our paid readers. A single read with a high rating from our readers merits inclusion. Other emails circulate regularly (at least once a week and often on Friday), listing titles, authors, genres, and loglines of scripts that receive high component scores in categories or genres where the industry pros have expressed specific interest."

However, apparently some of us impatient types aren't satisfied with being told our script will be highlighted on Mondays, we want to know when on Monday.

Comment

Originally posted by sallain View Post
                  I have the same question. Does anyone have an answer for this?
                  I've been receiving them in the evening. I'm not sure if it's staggered or not for other recipients.

Comment

Originally posted by keithcalder View Post
                    I've been receiving them in the evening. I'm not sure if it's staggered or not for other recipients.
                    Thanks, Keith! It's really not important, but at least now maybe I'll stop checking my stats every five minutes and do something productive.

Or maybe not.

Comment

Just curious as to the average wait time for a read currently if anyone can update that?
                      Eric
                      www.scriptreadguaranteed.com

Comment

Originally posted by harbak View Post
                        Just curious as to the average wait time for a read currently if anyone can update that?
                        "The average evaluation turnaround time is currently 15.61 days, because of an increase in requested evaluations, due in part to the various partnerships The Black List is currently participating in. If an evaluation takes longer than three weeks to come in, please let Support know, as we normally offer a free month of hosting in these cases."

From the help section on The Black List:
                        https://blcklst.com/help/article/268

Comment

Originally posted by harbak View Post
                          I've been waiting since May 3rd. At the three-week mark, I got an automatic e-mail (I assume it was automatic) re: a free month of hosting. My script was downloaded by a reader about a day later. Still waiting, though. Genre is drama.
                          "You have idea 1, you're excited. It flops. You have idea 99, you're excited. It flops.
                          Only a fool is excited by the 100th idea. Fools keep trying. God rewards fools." --Martin Hellman, paraphrased

Comment

Originally posted by WaitForIt View Post
                            I've been waiting since May 3rd. At the three-week mark, I got an automatic e-mail (I assume it was automatic) re: a free month of hosting. My script was downloaded by a reader about a day later. Still waiting, though. Genre is drama.
                            Same here, same genre. Got the 3-week email this weekend, but still waiting for the reader download.

Comment

I'm curious as to what other peoples' experiences have been like with uploading television pilots -- I know many have found representation or optioned work with the aid of the site from putting up a feature, but wondering if anyone out there has had such good fortune with putting up a good pilot. I put up a television script, got a couple good scores, a few downloads -- but aside from the cool opportunities with networks, I wonder if people are using the site for television in the same way that they are for features. Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Comment

Originally posted by graybooks View Post
                                Same here, same genre. Got the 3-week email this weekend, but still waiting for the reader download.
                                I bet it's a Nicholl overload. Which would figure. I deliberately uploaded mine when I did because I thought people wouldn't be wanting to spend money on both things in the same general time period. Har har har.
                                "You have idea 1, you're excited. It flops. You have idea 99, you're excited. It flops.
                                Only a fool is excited by the 100th idea. Fools keep trying. God rewards fools." --Martin Hellman, paraphrased

Comment

Working...
                                X