Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Agents and Managers - HELP PLEEEASE!!!!

Just looking for advice on the best way to go about obtaining representation for the purpose of leaving my current dreadful job, becoming a world famous screenwriter and making millions overnight.

No just kidding, but my question is serious. Is there a way to make connections in the industry other than cold calling and emailing or winning one of the top 5 screenwriting competitions.

I've entered the contests and have been very happy with the results although never placing as a finalist, I've hit the quarter-finals and semi-finals on a few of them (as a newbie), but nothing came of it. I've emailed about 3 dozen agencies / management companies and still, nothing but some polite passes.

So whats the trick?

Is the majority of this industry "who you know"?

Are there conferences I can attend where agents and managers seek out new talent.

Should I implore some newbie agent who's just starting out in the business to get my foot in the door.

Does bribery work?

Honestly, I'm not really expecting to sell a screenplay to Spielberg right out of the box, but I would love to meet somebody who could groom me and point me in the right direction so that so that one day I can.

Thanks in advance for any input.
    Last edited by Done Deal Pro; 02-05-2017, 09:09 AM. Reason: Fixed font styling

Re: Agents and Managers - HELP PLEEEASE!!!!

The trick? Umm.

Comment

Concentrate on managers right now. I don't want to say they are easier to get, but they are usually more open to clients with potential. Agents are hard unless you blow them away or are already working. I got my agent though my managers, but only when I was ready to go out with my material.

Comment

Originally posted by MJG123 View Post
        J
        So whats the trick?

Is the majority of this industry "who you know"?

Are there conferences I can attend where agents and managers seek out new talent.

I'm not the Wizard of Awesome or I wouldn't be here. Still, some ideas:
        1. Move to LA. Everyone you meet will know will be likely to work in or know someone in "the industry." Make friends. Real ones. Keep in touch with them.
        2. Go to film festivals... make friends. Keep in touch with them.
        3. Be an intern. Make friends. Keep in touch with them.
        4. Be an extra on a film. Or get a PA position on a film. Make friends. Keep in touch with them.
        5. Get an industry-related job. Make friends. Keep in touch with them.

Etc.

Comment

The only trick is to write good material.

There are tons of people in LA who probably know someone who knows an agent so it's not about who you know. Agents want to represent someone whose material they can sell and as a writer they can sell. Managers are more willing to develop but they want to see a voice/writing quality worth investing in.

Keep writing and doing contests and querying and the dominoes will sway when your writing says you're ready.
          Quack.

Writer on a cable drama.

Comment

Here's another question that I'm sure will bring the reek of an amateur wafting through your computer screen so hold your nose.

Would my chances be better to knock on the doors of these people and try to drop something off rather than have my emails deleted in a delete all click?

Comment

Originally posted by MJG123 View Post
              Here's another question that I'm sure will bring the reek of an amateur wafting through your computer screen so hold your nose.

Would my chances be better to knock on the doors of these people and try to drop something off rather than have my emails deleted in a delete all click?
              nope. worse than amateurish, they will think you are the Crazy Stalker Writer type. if you have a solid concept, and can convey it in a compelling logline, someone will respond to your email.

Comment

Got it. Thanks.

Comment

Write/Direct a short film. Make it really good. Hit the festival circuit with it. You're welcome.
                  Last edited by BKDodger; 02-05-2017, 09:56 AM. Reason: Censored by the vulgarity bot

Comment

So here's the best advice I can offer:

You need not just a good script, but evidence that your script is good.

Your belief that your script is good does not count as evidence that it is, in fact, good. (I'm sure you're not part of the delusional horde ... but agents and managers have no way of knowing that).

The industry's favorite kind of evidence is a referral from somebody whose taste they trust. Obviously, if you can get that, great. There are other types of evidence, as well: a high placement in the Nicholl, a high blacklist score, winning at Austin. A short film that gets a million view on youtube. An appearance at a big festival. Heck, sometimes even knowing you and thinking that you're particularly smart and thoughtful counts.

But the thing is, you need something. And you have to figure out what that something is. There are just too many scripts. Everybody thinks their script is good but most people are wrong.

Comment

I think I heard this on a podcast and it's stuck with me. The best way to get representation and to get noticed is to write something great. Instead of you pursuing the reps, they will come after you.

Comment

Yep. It pretty much comes down to material. People say how hard it is to get a manager or agent, but they aren't finishing the thought. It is really hard to get a manager or agent with sub par material. Work tirelessly on a good concept and don't send anything out until a pair of critical eyes tells you, this is good. Writers always trust their own judgement on their own work and they shouldn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyfress View Post
                          .Writers always trust their own judgement on their own work and they shouldn't.
                          Ain't necessarily so. Eventually, writers must trust their own judgement of their work.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyfress View Post
                            It is really hard to get a manager or agent with sub par material.
                            It's more complicated than this, unfortunately. I picked up a whole bunch of passes from managers on a piece of material that was then picked up (with pay!) by the first producer I sent it to.

Even if you have good enough material, you may still have to put the work in to find rep.

Comment

Originally posted by CrissCross View Post
                              I think I heard this on a podcast and it's stuck with me. The best way to get representation and to get noticed is to write something great. Instead of you pursuing the reps, they will come after you.
                              Right, because they will just somehow know, through the ether of the universe, that you have a good script worth repping.

Comment

Working...
                              X