No announcement yet.
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Black List founder Franklin Leonard answers your questions about the Black List

Originally posted by FranklinLeonard View Post
    Just wanted to jump in here with some information:

1. If you pause your script, it will be invisible to our members but your clock will also effectively stop. When you choose to make it visible again, the clock will start again.

Put differently, if you pause it on day 15 of a month. When you unpause it, it will be day 16.

If you've been billed differently than that, please let us know.

2. If you purchase a new review, you will receive a new reader. Not only do we route them that way, our readers are expected to let us know if they have read a previous draft of a script so that we can route it elsewhere.
    Franklin, I know of two situations where this has happened. BL billing was contacted and stated pretty emphatically that pausing the script hosting does not pause billing. PM me and I'll see if I can get a copy of the email for you. Sounds like maybe just a glitch in communication between departments...

Comment

• Re: Black List founder Franklin Leonard answers your questions about the Black List

Is it better to buy one review? Or two at the same time? Any thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by TheDudeSpeaketh View Post
        Is it better to buy one review? Or two at the same time? Any thoughts?
        I used to think it was better to buy one and be tactical about it, delete the script if the score was low, re-upload and start again.

But now I feel that if your script is that polarising or that vulnerable to a low score it probably shouldn't be on BL and you're just delaying the inevitable.
        Script Revolution - A free to use script hosting website that offers screenwriters a platform to promote their scripts and a way for filmmakers to search through them.

Comment

Does anyone have a contact phone number for THE BLACK LIST. I have a dispute over billing, and they have no contact number on their website.

PM me.

THANKS IN ADVANCE.

Comment

Originally posted by FranklinLeonard View Post
            Just wanted to jump in here with some information:

1. If you pause your script, it will be invisible to our members but your clock will also effectively stop. When you choose to make it visible again, the clock will start again.

Put differently, if you pause it on day 15 of a month. When you unpause it, it will be day 16.

If you've been billed differently than that, please let us know.

2. If you purchase a new review, you will receive a new reader. Not only do we route them that way, our readers are expected to let us know if they have read a previous draft of a script so that we can route it elsewhere.
            This above-post seems so odd to me.

For various reasons, I had surmised/deduced that the BL system, as built, was simply not able to do this. But since it apparently is able to do it, it seems it is 100% a management decision that (a) if you pause your script, (b) until you unpause it, you can't get your paid read.

Franklin, BL is your show, so you can do with it as you will. But DD is an open forum, so I am raising this subject again: Please let a script be paused in its listing while not being paused in the read-queue.

Comment

I have been very busy and couldn't stay with the thread. Ducky asked if the script (that was a semi-finalist and submitted to BL) was signed by the two reps in Hollywood that I mentioned. The script was signed by both reps. The first one brought us in and we sat down and he said, "See those scripts, (referring to about 100 in a pile in a corner) yours made it through that pile." Two weeks later, this agency went out of business. We continued and found the second agent who loved the script and the main character to death. Then he passed away. Sound crazy yet? Agents have problems too. These were small agencies, not power houses, struggling to make it in show business.

The review I received from BL is a "red flag" to me. Because of it, I don't have a lot of confidence in the BL for discovering great scripts from aspiring writers and moving forward. I believe, even with a good script, the chance of breaking it on BL is very remote, and other methods offer far greater opportunity. In the last six weeks, we've found a new avenue, and I'm excited about the new concept and venture. I'm planning now, how to follow the opportunity to a large agency that reps comedy. Please don't ask me to divulge this new pathway. It's out there and you have to find it on your own. This sounds unfriendly, but this is a competitive business.

Comment

Originally posted by DangoForth View Post
                Franklin, I know of two situations where this has happened. BL billing was contacted and stated pretty emphatically that pausing the script hosting does not pause billing. PM me and I'll see if I can get a copy of the email for you. Sounds like maybe just a glitch in communication between departments...
                If that's the case, definitely let us know. We'd be happy to credit any account for which this has happened.

Comment

Originally posted by Landis26 View Post
                  Does anyone have a contact phone number for THE BLACK LIST. I have a dispute over billing, and they have no contact number on their website.

PM me.

THANKS IN ADVANCE.
                  Email us:

[email protected]
                  [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by Manchester View Post
                    This above-post seems so odd to me.

For various reasons, I had surmised/deduced that the BL system, as built, was simply not able to do this. But since it apparently is able to do it, it seems it is 100% a management decision that (a) if you pause your script, (b) until you unpause it, you can't get your paid read.

Franklin, BL is your show, so you can do with it as you will. But DD is an open forum, so I am raising this subject again: Please let a script be paused in its listing while not being paused in the read-queue.
                    This is a wholly different issue.

If you pause hosting, your script will be paused in the reader queue as well. That won't be changing.

Comment

Originally posted by thestuart View Post
                      ^This

Re-write to give yourself an assignment, develop your writing, simulate production notes, but don't do it to chase scoring.
                      Yep, a fool's errand (my bold).

Comment

I used to think it was better to buy one and be tactical about it, delete the script if the score was low, re-upload and start again.

But now I feel that if your script is that polarising or that vulnerable to a low score it probably shouldn't be on BL and you're just delaying the inevitable.
                        I agree with this 100%.

Comment

• Re: Black List founder Franklin Leonard answers your questions about the Black

Just based on my experience this past week, I think I'll always do 2 at a time from now on if I'm confident in the script.

I got my first review back, it was a 4/10. A day later, got an 8/10. If I had just paid for one review and received the 4, I might have been discouraged and pulled it, thinking maybe it was too polarizing a read and thus not quite right for this service. Because I had the second one already in the pipeline, and got the exact opposite response, it helped reinforce the previous positive responses. And, it got me on the industry email yesterday that garnered 26 new downloads so far.

I think the extra $50 is worth it, not just for that but also because I have found value in the feedback. On my other script, I got some suggestions that led to really great changes, so I feel like I'm not just paying for the opportunity for exposure, I'm also getting some helpful feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeD View Post
                            I have been very busy and couldn't stay with the thread. Ducky asked if the script (that was a semi-finalist and submitted to BL) was signed by the two reps in Hollywood that I mentioned. The script was signed by both reps. The first one brought us in and we sat down and he said, "See those scripts, (referring to about 100 in a pile in a corner) yours made it through that pile." Two weeks later, this agency went out of business. We continued and found the second agent who loved the script and the main character to death. Then he passed away. Sound crazy yet? Agents have problems too. These were small agencies, not power houses, struggling to make it in show business.

The review I received from BL is a "red flag" to me. Because of it, I don't have a lot of confidence in the BL for discovering great scripts from aspiring writers and moving forward. I believe, even with a good script, the chance of breaking it on BL is very remote, and other methods offer far greater opportunity. In the last six weeks, we've found a new avenue, and I'm excited about the new concept and venture. I'm planning now, how to follow the opportunity to a large agency that reps comedy. Please don't ask me to divulge this new pathway. It's out there and you have to find it on your own. This sounds unfriendly, but this is a competitive business.
                            I wouldn't count two agents that were struggling to make it in the business as validation that your script was good.

I'll also say this, comedy is hands down the hardest genre to work in. It is the most subjective there is.

I've sent out comedy scripts that 10 people loved, and 20 people didn't laugh once and passed. It's not easy.

Also, look at PUTTS. That was a comedy that was rated well, solid writing, and got the writer a great manager.

More and more you are hearing about writers signing with reps off the black list. It's working.

Best,

MB
                            twitter.com/mbotti

Comment

My only concerns lie with some Industry Members commenting that they feel the spotlighted scripts aren't good enough.
                              I don't get it. Do they really expect an amateur to write like Sorkin or Tarantino? Talent doesn't pop out of nowhere, it takes years to master.

In the "Scripts Everbody Likes" section you have Inception, Looper, Argo, Social Network, Django etc.

If these are the scripts BL members love and are expecting to read on BL 3.0, I can see how they might be disappointed by "Putts." It may very well be a hilarious golf comedy, and a 9/10, but it's no Social Network.

Maybe there should be a disclaimer: If you're looking for the next Inception, contact Chris Nolan's agent.
                              I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

Originally posted by michaelb View Post
                                I'll also say this, comedy is hands down the hardest genre to work in.
                                Not everyone on this board happens to agree with this perspective, but I certainly do.

Comment

Working...
                                X