No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Advice on queries

Originally posted by ducky1288 View Post
    I was read by 3-6 every time but ultimately found my managers through referral. That was a couple years ago and I don't know if reps still request at the same rate due to television seasons taking up a majority of their year with current clients and potential clients through referrals.

Never know though.
    Thanks Ducky.

Comment

If you send out 10 queries you will get 2-3 responses back and one will most likely request the material. That's pretty much the law of averages. But when you send out the queries you have to tailor each query to that specific person. Do your homework because if you can't send a good query no one will trust you doing the proper work on writing a script.

Comment

Originally posted by ducky1288 View Post
        When I used to send queries I would just put the title of the project in the subject line.
        Same here. I used to put "Query: [Name of Script]" as the subject line. When I stopped doing that, my rate of reply went up dramatically.

Comment

Originally posted by CrissCross View Post
          If you send out 10 queries you will get 2-3 responses back and one will most likely request the material. That's pretty much the law of averages. But when you send out the queries you have to tailor each query to that specific person. Do your homework because if you can't send a good query no one will trust you doing the proper work on writing a script.
          Thanks for replying. Just out of curiosity, is that rate for 10 queries to the very top managers or are the queries spread out to include smaller managers?

Comment

Originally posted by KitesAreFun View Post
            Same here. I used to put "Query: [Name of Script]" as the subject line. When I stopped doing that, my rate of reply went up dramatically.
            what do you put now?
            "We're going to be rich!" - 1/2 hr COMEDY written/directed/edited by me, I also act in it.
            SUBTITLED
            Episode 1 (Beef pills)
            Episode 2 (African commercial)
            Episode 3 (Brenda's rescue)

Comment

My emails have always listed my location as Connecticut, it never stopped dozens of reads. Two managers wanted to sign me at the same time and neither cared where I lived.

With that said, I'm primarily a feature writer, so it has less impact, really.

When I mentioned to my manager that I wanted to move to LA he said, "why? Don't you like where you live?" It didn't matter to him at all.

Of course, if would be better all around if I did live in LA, it's still a goal.
              "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

(This may be dumb but the query should not include an attachment of the material? One simply hopes for a response of a read request?)

Comment

Originally posted by Mpimentel View Post
                  what do you put now?
                  Just the name of the script. My hope is that the title of the script that I'm querying about will be catchy enough to grab someone's attention.

Comment

Originally posted by SBdeb View Post
                    (This may be dumb but the query should not include an attachment of the material? One simply hopes for a response of a read request?)
                    That's exactly right. Never send material without the manager/agent saying that it's OK to do that.

Comment

Serves no purpose mentioning where you live. Johnny Perera was living in Asia when he wrote Miss Sloane and queried Scott Carr. Carr says if he mentioned he was in Asia he may not have read the script.

Comment

Working...
                      X