• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Walking Dead Season 3

Trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShQz6...layer_embedded

Looking forward to it!

Re: The Walking Dead Season 3

As much as the show sucks a lot of times, the words, "Welcome to Woodbury," did send a tingle up my spine.

It won't be as good as the comic version, but I still have to watch it.
    what the head makes cloudy the heart makes very clear

Comment

^ I've been reading the comic version on and off (I bought the Bible-sized trade paperback form amazon) and haven't really been wowed.

I know people rag on the show a lot about how dumb it can be at times, but I just find the comics to be too pulpy and disjointed. I read an article a while back about how a show's character's challenge the protagonist to deal with the show's central theme. You can really see that in The Walking Dead - the central theme being something like "How would you deal with the end of the world?". You can really see how Dale and Shane force Rick to engage that question. Shane's survival of the fittest and Dale's survival with decency (how it going to work now that they're both dead I'm not sure). Rick's all over the place in the comics.

The comic's pretty board too. It might be a question of the medium not lending it self to subtlety. The best moment in the TV series, from the perspective of appreciating the writing, is the first couple of minutes of the pilot. When Shane dips his french fries in Rick's ketchup, it's super brilliant, it accomplishes what pages of exposition about their friendship couldn't in one simple action.

Comment

Disclaimer that I haven't read the comics, but the trailer looks great. Season 2 was definitely uneven - some great moments interspersed with quite a bit of nothing happening - but this looks like it could get closer to the constant tension that made season 1 so memorable.

Comment

Originally posted by UltraSuperMegaMo View Post
          ^ I've been reading the comic version on and off (I bought the Bible-sized trade paperback form amazon) and haven't really been wowed.

I know people rag on the show a lot about how dumb it can be at times, but I just find the comics to be too pulpy and disjointed. I read an article a while back about how a show's character's challenge the protagonist to deal with the show's central theme. You can really see that in The Walking Dead - the central theme being something like "How would you deal with the end of the world?". You can really see how Dale and Shane force Rick to engage that question. Shane's survival of the fittest and Dale's survival with decency (how it going to work now that they're both dead I'm not sure). Rick's all over the place in the comics.

The comic's pretty board too. It might be a question of the medium not lending it self to subtlety. The best moment in the TV series, from the perspective of appreciating the writing, is the first couple of minutes of the pilot. When Shane dips his french fries in Rick's ketchup, it's super brilliant, it accomplishes what pages of exposition about their friendship couldn't in one simple action.
          The pilot was definitely well done and the first season was really good, but as the show went on, it really felt like they were stretching the plot. Characters became inconsistent if not outright idiotic.
          It's not the changes from the comic that bother me as I actually watched the show first, but it's was becoming just as broad as the comic, but with less respect to the characters.
          what the head makes cloudy the heart makes very clear

Comment

When Shane dips his french fries in Rick's ketchup, it's super brilliant, it accomplishes what pages of exposition about their friendship couldn't in one simple action.
            That's actually my favorite part of the show...just neat li'l moments that pack all sorts of info.

I was starting to hate the show after the first few episodes, but after the break it really began to draw me in. Especially when I realized - in a good way - that they slipped subtly into doing Night of the Living Dead: The Series. And with the prison coming up, looks like this season will be Dawn of the Dead: The Series.

Someone's head better explode in the first episode.
            "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

I think this is one of the rare examples of the film/tv version being far superior to the source material and I think that's nearly all due to the choices the show writers and producers are making to develop the characters.

The 2nd season had its moments of stagnation, but most of that lead up to finding the zombie daughter and turning the whole "they're just dead people, so shoot them in the head" mentality upside down for the characters (and more importantly, the audience). That was one of the most impactful story arcs I've ever seen done on television. Who would have thought that a show about zombies could actually connect with the audience in such an emotional way? Not that it has to, but the comic barely tries to do anything like that--and the whole zombie daughter storyline is missing from the comic books.

And, I'll go out on a limb and say if they stick to the comics for season 3, they are going to really alienate a lot of the fan base. Once they reach the prison, the comics get waaaay out there to the point of being pretty ridiculous and stupid, while at the same time, treading on some familiar territory seen in other shows and movies. And they nearly ignore the zombies completely. I'm actually hoping the show tempers it all a little bit.
              On Twitter @DeadManSkipping

Comment

^ I think it's a safe bet they'll won't stay in very close continuity with comics in the new season. Look at the first seasons, the Shane v. Rick conflict took two season to settle, it's barely a storyline in the comics.

Comment

^ I think it's a safe bet they'll won't stay in very close continuity with comics in the new season. Look at the first seasons, the Shane v. Rick conflict took two season to settle, it's barely a storyline in the comics.
                  That's true.

I actually sit in amazement of the show creator's choices when they go away from the book. I think every alternative choice they've made has been spot on.
                  On Twitter @DeadManSkipping

Comment

I'm a little surprised they based the series at all on the comic book. There not that many tweaks away from being completely independent from the comic series. Maybe they felt the comics would give the show a built in audience?

Comment

Totally digging the new season. Our group seems broken. Rick is pretty badass now. Carl has graduated to killing walkers. So glad we don't have to go through the "first kill" angst.

Comment

Agreed.

But the "rules" of zombification remain way too queefy.

Last finale, we learned that everyone carries the infection. The infection activates when you die, and you start doin the putrefaction strut.

So why cut off Herschel's leg to prevent the spread of the infection - he's already infected just like everyone, so just keep him alive and all's well, right?

Well no, because you also get a rapidly spreading infection from scratches and bites (they continue this exposition point ad nauseum).

But wait a minute... isn't everyone's already infected? So what's special about scratches and bites? They contain enzymatic activator of some kind?

Aaaaarugula.

Oh, and all that flying blood is NOT infectious.
                        Last edited by Shari Hari; 10-28-2012, 09:54 AM. Reason: I dunno, do they explain this shite in the comics?

Comment

Yeah, I'm not 100% sure about that either (perhaps it was explained by that prof in season 01). My assumption is that everyone is infected, but it remains dormant until you die. A bite from a walker spreads their already active infection which kills you. Not sure why flying blood doesn't play by the same rules.

Comment

Originally posted by Shari Hari View Post
                            Agreed.

But the "rules" of zombification remain way too queefy.

Last finale, we learned that everyone carries the infection. The infection activates when you die, and you start doin the putrefaction strut.

So why cut off Herschel's leg to prevent the spread of the infection - he's already infected just like everyone, so just keep him alive and all's well, right?

Well no, because you also get a rapidly spreading infection from scratches and bites (they continue this exposition point ad nauseum).

But wait a minute... isn't everyone's already infected? So what's special about scratches and bites? They contain enzymatic activator of some kind?

Aaaaarugula.

Oh, and all that flying blood is NOT infectious.
                            This bugged me too. And the flying blood bugged me last season. I'll hang in a little longer but if the pace doesn;t pick up a tad, I may wander off.
                            Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

My guess is that they cut off the leg, because the bite (maybe saliva?) will CAUSE him to die, thus setting off the virus. In Season 1, the guy they left to die against the tree had been bitten, and the illness caused by the bite killed him.

Even when he stopped breathing, again this is a guess, he didn't turn into a zombie, because it is brain death that activates the virus.

The flying blood has bothered me from Day 1.

Comment

Working...
                              X