Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite Ernest Borgnine movie...

He was one of the very few actors whose name I was excited to see in the credits. I grew up with him from McHale's Navy to The Wild Bunch through The Devil's Rain and Escape From New York...

...even Strange Wilderness.

Very bummed. There's actually sort of an emptiness knowing he's no longer a part of the world I live in.

But I gotta go with The Devil's Rain. Not only Ernie as the goatish villain, but also Shatner in pre-ironic mode and Travolta in a very early role. With an Anton LaVey cameo!
    "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Re: Favorite Ernest Borgnine movie...

As a kid I grew up mostly knowing Borgnine from the TV show "Airwolf". Wasn't until later on that I began to appreciate his work in film. Obviously "Marty" is a must-see.

Comment

Does Mermaid Man count? I really liked Mermaid Man.

Comment

I loved in him in "REDS"
        D. Alin
        http://alinproduction.blogspot.com Sci-Fi/Fantasy (Basically) [Skype me at "Buyitpc" - I will surely love to talk!]

Comment

Originally posted by David Alin View Post
          I loved in him in "REDS"
          Yeah, this. Red.

He had a good run. RIP, E.B..
          I'm always right.

Comment

I know this is the easy answer, but Marty was a really nice film that out-kicked it's coverage, almost entirely due to Ernest Borgnine. He was special in his own, unique way and I'll miss him.
            Seven years dungeon --- no trials!

Comment

Like Ernie, I have trouble picking out a favorite role of his because he put his whole soul and energy into his work (good idea for any aspiring actors). I loved him in "The Wild Bunch", "The Dirty Dozen", "Marty", "Escape From New York", "Emperor Of The North", "Bad Day At Black Rock", "Renegade/Blueberry", "The Mob", even "Strange Wilderness", which he made bareable to watch.

I have to see "From Here To Eternity" and "Violent Saturday".
              "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

Am I going to get beaten with sticks if I say 'Airwolf'?
                Frosties are just Cornflakes for people who can't face reality.

Comment

He was great in The Simpsons and when admitting that long life is due to regular masturbation.
                  On Twitter @DeadManSkipping

Comment

The Wild Bunch hands down, but I'm biased. Marty second. Been years since I've seen it. RIP Ernie.
                    #writinginaStarbucks #re-thinkingmyexistence #notanotherweaklogline #thinkingwhatwouldWilldo

Comment

Originally posted by Ire View Post
                      The Wild Bunch hands down, but I'm biased. Marty second. Been years since I've seen it. RIP Ernie.
                      Obviously, YOU, with your avatar, would note that...also, the two-disc DVD has the behind-the-scenes doc, "An Album In Montage". When filming wrapped, Ernie, Oscar-winner,carried his OWN folding chair to the loading truck. He didn't have to do it, but he did, and that was beautiful.
                      "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

Originally posted by Cycstorm View Post
                        Am I going to get beaten with sticks if I say 'Airwolf'?
                        As a kid, I really enjoyed that series, at least season one. Not so much the Borgnine character, but the Jan Michael Vincent role -- cabin in the woods, cellist (if I recall), a lone wolf, etc.

For the TV fare of the time, the series wasn't bad, I thought, but I haven't seen it since it originally aired.

Comment

I was amazed to find out that apparently Jan Michael Vincent was at that time the highest paid actor on television. Period.
                          Frosties are just Cornflakes for people who can't face reality.

Comment

The Wild Bunch and Emperor of the North.

Comment

He was in so many films - often stealing the show - that it's impossible to pick one... so how about something cheesy like DEADLY BLESSING where he plays an evil Amish guy trying to kill Sharon Stone in her first film role?

- Bill (WILD BUNCH, FLIGHT OF THE PHOENIX, DIRTY DOZEN, ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK, EMPEROR OF THE NORTH, MARTY, VIOLENT SATURDAY, BAD DAY AT BLACKROCK, POSEIDON ADVENTURE, WILLARD, many others)
                              Free Script Tips:
                              http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Working...
                              X