Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Final Draft 10

Using an upgraded version has nothing to do with the problem.

I have had many email requests for help from desperate people from all over the country, through the years, about this Final Draft problem.

If it has never happened to you, then you are like the guy who has never had any problems with his automobile, though the same model of vehicle has spontaneously caught on fire, while parked in the garage, of some other people.

Good luck.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

i have a folder of 5 scripts saved in both FDX and PDF (FD PDFs are notoriously large)
      The PDF of a script ought to be smaller than the .fdx file. Using a FD file that was about 450K, and the Windows version of FD 10, I got about 250K for the PDF produced through FD (it was actually some cockamamie Microsoft PDF driver), and about 200K with a commercial PDF driver (PDF-XChange). The font was embedded in each PDF.

Are you sure that you are not producing a .jpg image of every page when you make a PDF? I cannot imagine what else would produce a PDF that is huge.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFang View Post
        (and why are there extra spaces between paragraphs when I post? I have to go back to delete them after my initial post. This didn't happen here until fairly recently. I've seen this for a few other people here, too, such as ComicBent's posts above)
        I've had the same issue here for a while now. I don't know what changed but it's become part of my normal routine to remove extra spaces when I post.
        STANDARD DISCLAIMER: I'm a wannabe, take whatever I write with a huge grain of salt.

Comment

Originally posted by docgonzo View Post
          Maybe the issue has to do with the version people are using? Maybe they're no longer supporting older products (like FD9) and that's why bugs and other issues are now popping up.
          I'm still using the free Trelby. Development basically ended in 2012 and the Windows version still works fine. (There was a small change needed in the code of the Linux version in 2015 to keep it working with newer versions of Linux libraries.) I don't see why an older version of Final Draft would stop working on a platform it was intended to work on, unless the program was poorly written. I've seen too many of these Final Draft horror stories, here and on Reddit to have a lot of faith in Final Draft's programmers.
          STANDARD DISCLAIMER: I'm a wannabe, take whatever I write with a huge grain of salt.

Comment

Originally posted by Strangerthanfiction
            Yes, it's an upgraded version. I started with Final Draft 8. Thank you for the info about Dropbox.
            i started with FD7 and upgraded to FD8 then skipped 9 and think i just took the full download instead of the upgrade. to get a full download on FD10. the old versions were really glitchy.

i haven't had any problems.

and with drop box, don't get me wrong, i love, love it. i can access it from ALL my devices and, man, it so puts your mind at ease. i also download copies onto my hard drive when done.

it's also great because i work on my imac and macbook pro and if i'm traveling i can shoot someone my script from france it i have to. it's very convenient.

hope it works out okay.
            "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Working...
            X