Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I got a response to my query from CAA

My heart was racing when I saw that big white envelope in the mail...

"Your unsolicited submission has not been, and will not be disclosed to any executive or other employee of Creative Artists Agency or to any other person. You should be aware that many ideas are generated by our employees and our clients or other sources. To the extent that any projects are generated which contain elements similar to that what you submitted, the similarities are purely coincidental."

Signed,

Someone with a 4th gade edumacation

(I wish they hadn't bothered sending me that at all)
    Last edited by Sherbet; 12-17-2010, 07:06 PM.
    I am a master of dontopedalogy, the science of opening one's mouth and inserting one's foot it in.

It's not an art, it's a science.

Re: I got a response to my query from CAA

Funny thing is I once got that response about 2 hours after the agent had already requested the script. Keep trying. I recommend querying the agents assistants there.

Comment

Originally posted by Sherbet View Post
      My heart was racing when I saw that big white envelope in the mail...
      When I see "CAA", I still think "Canadian Automobile Association".

Comment

email email email. nobody sends snail mail anymore.
        MT
        If Lindsey Lohan has a child, and that child will lead...I will follow.

Comment

Originally posted by mtoomey View Post
          MT
          the snail mail came from CAA
          correspondence like this from an agency comes from the legal dept and they still use snail mail

Comment

I sent them an email and got a nice email back and now they're reading two of my scripts.

I guess it depends on who you contact...
            "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Comment

Originally posted by LauriD View Post
              I sent them an email and got a nice email back and now they're reading two of my scripts.

I guess it depends on who you contact...
              Good luck!
              "The Hollywood film business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S Thompson

Comment

They could have at least been gramatically correct.

(cue British accent) "we averted our eyes."

It's just an obnoxious PFO.
                I am a master of dontopedalogy, the science of opening one's mouth and inserting one's foot it in.

Comment

Send a rejection letter to their rejection, with their rejection attached. Just kidding.

It's hit or miss with everyone in Hollywood. Keep queryin'.
                  Last edited by Lucha Scribre; 12-20-2010, 12:06 PM.
                  2011 Screenwriting Goal: 15 pages a day.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucha Scribre View Post
                    Send a rejection letter to their rejection, with their rejection attached.
                    That reminds me of the time, way back in college when I was sending resumes for summer work, and the company sent my resume back, all crinkled and fingerprinty, with a note attached "in case you have some use for it"

Comment

Originally posted by mtoomey View Post
                      MT
                      you must know a lot of people...
                      "you have to write right, right?" -- Todd Gordon

Comment

Originally posted by Moviequill View Post
                        you must know a lot of people...
                        I should have been more specific. nobody should send queries through snail mail anymore. If you are, you're wasting your time. Every agent, manager, producer has a smartphone and are constantly checking email on it. This topic has been covered thoroughly on the board, so I'm not gonna drag out the dead horse for another whoopin'.

Sure, some new writers who are reading a screenwriting book published in 1998 might follow the recommendations of the author to send via the USPS. And _I_ did this with my first script 5 years ago...but that was before I found DDP and other online resources. Then I burned my piece of sh!t, out of date screenwriting book that told me the only way to query was to send a letter with a SASE to agents/managers.
                        -MT
                        If Lindsey Lohan has a child, and that child will lead...I will follow.

Comment

Originally posted by Sherbet View Post
                          They could have at least been gramatically correct.

(cue British accent) "we averted our eyes."

It's just an obnoxious PFO.

When I was first interested in screenwriting, I sent a letter with general questions about how the industry works to the studios and agencies. I got a response from one of the studios returning my letter saying that they don't accept unsolicited submissions (I wasn't querying a screenplay), and a handwritten note that said, "Do youself [sic] a favor and research on your future. Stop waisting [sic] my time." Not withstanding the fact that I was "researching on my future" by sending a letter to a reputable company asking questions about how they prefer to do business... that response more than anything taught me that:

1. Not everyone has an expert grasp of the English language; and

2. Regardless of the responder's grasp of the English language, a pass is still a pass... and at least it was a response one way or another, which is more consideration than most people will give you.

Comment

I'm not sure it can even be considered a 'pass' - since they say they never even read it.

Maybe if I knew someone in the agency that would help...

I have a friend who has a friend who works for WME and he's going to submit the hard copy of my screenplay to them.

There is still hope!

Comment

Working...
                            X