Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Trackinb Contest

You know, I was thinking about entering the Trackingb, can anyone here give me the in's and out's of whether I should. Perhaps you can discuss percentages of those making the finals, versus the percentages of those who don't. And relate this to the cost of the competition. Oh, and if I do well there, what are the chances I might get repped. Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by Scriptonian View Post
      The TrackingB site makes it easy to pay (take) your entry fee, but I find nothing speaking to type of script eligibility for their contest (shorts? teleplays?), or any FAQs to be found anywhere on the site. Very late deadline is October 30th for only $110 entry fee, and $25 more to be considered for some other great opportunity. Looks like just another money-making sham contest to me.
      Here's the thing.

They deliver what they promise. And, what they promise is more than almost any other contest out there. I will tell you this for a FACT--they know more development execs and producers than any other contest folks out there, because of what they do. It's a fact, jack.

They have a fantastic panel of judges. They get the finalists out to a lot of people, and they actively advocate on behalf of finalists.

Maybe no contest but the Nicholls is of high enough profile for you, that's fine, don't enter them.

But to call it a "sham" implies that it is somehow not on the level and that couldn't be further from the truth.

It seriously irritates me when people who have no real world experience in this world come with all sorts of conclusions about people that they don't show **** about.

You should remove the post. It was bullsh!t.

Comment

You just got an "AMEN", bro.

Originally posted by joe9alt View Post
        Sometimes some posters on this site make me sick.

You morons will gladly pay some Julie Gray type hundreds of dollars to skim your work, tell you it sucks, and ultimately line you up to pay hundreds more in order to revise your work and then that's it. Nothing. Done. You have a script some failed writer says she likes and where does that get you? NOWHERE besides close to a thousand bucks lighter.

Then you see an opportunity like this. This contest has been around for a few years now and it's grown every year. It's here to stay. Some of the better posters on this board have been recognized in the contest. The contest has helped get tons of posters represented. Last year's winner got repped and then his reps SOLD the script to Bold Films. Look at the winners list - most of those writers are repped now and make no mistake, getting repped is the holy grail in terms of entering contests. That should be the end goal in terms of the contest scene.

Look at the judges affiliated with the Trackingb contest. The list reads like a who's who in terms of rising industry players. Do you seriously think these people would let themselves be affiliated with a "sham- contest. It's moronic to even refer to this contest in that manner. Trackingb's track record is proven.

EddieCoyle, if you don't think you could be a "winner" then don't enter. Ummm, you're pretty perceptive if you're picking up on the fact that writers who actually WIN or PLACE in contests get a better deal than the losers. That's the law of the jungle, bro. Sorry. Winning isn't everything. It's the only thing.

And Scriptonian and whoever else thinks similarly, you keep scrawling your scripts with magic marker on construction paper...keep showing them to your grammy...keep listening when she tells you how good they are. I can tell from your posts you shouldn't enter. You have no shot at winning. In fact, you probably should quit screenwriting all together. I don't need to read your work to know you don't have what it takes. Hang it up, bud. Don't enter Trackingb. Don't enter Nicholl. Don't write another word.

I've already wasted too many minutes combating your ineptitude.

I don't want to waste any more.

It would be different if you had any sort of valid content in your posts or your questions. You don't. It's like the drivel of a mad man.

PASS.

Comment

Originally posted by joe9alt View Post
          Glad we're good, Eddie. Yeah, it was tough love but it still was love, brutha.

Now one final note on trackingb process and this is just me deploying common sense really...

Think about it. Trackingb has called upon a group of film business professionals who are at the top of the industry (Esola, Jamshidi, Bruckheimer Films, Imagine, Disney, etc.), and trackingb has to make sure they deliver the best scripts possible to them. They put their reputation on the line when they "refer" those scripts.

It's important for them to deliver the absolute best for two other reasons: 1. to keep that stellar industry crew coming back, because that's probably why they agree to do stuff like this in the first place -- to find the diamonds in the rough. And 2. So they can help writers and help the contest by generating more success stories.

So, you have to ask yourself, how does trackingb best go about achieving this? The answer is basic - by putting in the good ol' fashioned hard work it takes to find the gems. It's as simple as that.

Cream finds a way to rise, ya know?
          I want to second and highlight this. I know pretty much everyone on that judging panel and they are all quality, quality execs, reps and producers.

People WANT to be judges because they get the first crack at the material. If it was some crap contest with crap scripts as finalists then these people would not be putting in the time--they are doing it to serve their own interests, not because the Insider is such a great guy (though he certainly seems to be).

We get finalists early and we read them within 24 hours, because we know they are quality and we have to move fast.

So all that nonsense about it being a "sham", do some basic research before you talk about it negatively. And that research shouldn't be seven years old.

Comment

Originally posted by KenRichards View Post
            You know, I was thinking about entering the Trackingb, can anyone here give me the in's and out's of whether I should. Perhaps you can discuss percentages of those making the finals, versus the percentages of those who don't. And relate this to the cost of the competition. Oh, and if I do well there, what are the chances I might get repped. Thanks in advance.

Alright, I'm a math teacher so here goes. In 2009 there were 828 scripts submitted but only the top 8 are put in the spotlight. When I calculated it it was .00966. So you literally had to be top 1%. Therefore roughly 99% won't make it.

But like I said, if you look at numbers the you are already screwed being a writer. There are a good handful of people on this board who were in that one percent, but only because hey took a chance...
            Quack.

Writer on a cable drama.

Comment

Last year I had a script make the semis in the Nicholl, and it was an honorable mention in trackingb. It was no contest (pun intended) regarding which did more for me. Trackingb by a mile. Here's what happens: once you get picked, the Insider makes it his mission in life to get people to read you. Finally it's fun to check your emails. He's relentless, connected, and a great guy. I just can't say enough good things about him and this contest.

Oh, and look what happened to Johnny Boy.

Comment

Wow, I definitely didn't mean to start a flame war...but nevertheless, thanks to those who chimed in with more information about this contest. Very helpful indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by seh View Post
                  Last year I had a script make the semis in the Nicholl, and it was an honorable mention in trackingb. It was no contest (pun intended) regarding which did more for me. Trackingb by a mile. Here's what happens: once you get picked, the Insider makes it his mission in life to get people to read you. Finally it's fun to check your emails. He's relentless, connected, and a great guy. I just can't say enough good things about him and this contest.

Well, certainly considering the small number of scripts that place in the Trackingb contest, I think it's natural that you'd get more out of it if you are one of those placing.

I think I'm going to enter my best screenplay in it, but as always, once my money is gone, I consider it gone. I do not "expect" to place in anything but am happy to do so when it happens. Which I guess is a more than average occurrence, as I am pretty successful in competions. But still, I don't "expect" anything from anyone.

Comment

SBScript:

I withdraw my word 'sham' if TrackingB is a contest others believe in and plan to enter. I did my homework: read the posts here (and elsewhere), visited the site, looked for some FAQs and found none, looked for a paragraph or anything that addresses the kinds of scripts (feature, short, documentary, and what genres) are eligible for the contest and found nothing, and determined that the focus of the contest page of the site was more about payment (and exorbitant entry fees I thought) than anything else. I went to Predators and Editors to see if complaints had been filed against the contest; found nothing negative (or positive).

Good luck to those who enter.

Comment

Here's what happens: once you get picked, the Insider makes it his mission in life to get people to read you. Finally it's fun to check your emails. He's relentless, connected, and a great guy. I just can't say enough good things about him and this contest.

Haha. Everything I read about the Insider paints him as the patron saint of screenwriters. He seems pretty awesome.

What happened to Johnny Boy?

And why did TrackingB take down the nodes to the contests' history? Can subscribers still see them?

Comment

The Trackingb site is all kinds of out of whack right now -- that's probably why you can't see the links. The admin posted a couple days ago that they were doing a big maintenance overhaul, which would basically take the site down for a few days. So hopefully it will be back to normal ops by Monday.

Comment

Originally posted by via negativa View Post
                          What happened to Johnny Boy?

?
                          He was a winner in the contest, got a new (top notch) rep, sold the script. Now about to set the world on fire, imho.

Comment

Originally posted by JJBones View Post
                            The Trackingb site is all kinds of out of whack right now -- that's probably why you can't see the links. The admin posted a couple days ago that they were doing a big maintenance overhaul, which would basically take the site down for a few days. So hopefully it will be back to normal ops by Monday.
                            Oh, good. It seemed kind of strange to me that they would take down all the contest stuff right now. This thread reminded me that they also have a TV contest, and I wanted to check if the TV writers have had as much luck as the film writers.

He was a winner in the contest, got a new (top notch) rep, sold the script. Now about to set the world on fire, imho.
                            Well worth the $79 entry fee...

Comment

Entered. Good luck, everyone.
                              What I have crossed out, I didn't like. What I haven't crossed out, I am dissatisfied with.
                              (Cecil B. DeMille's notes to an unknown screenwriter)

Comment

Yeah I entered. No bogus "quarterfinal" B.S that nobody cares about. No one or two lines of gratuitous "coverage" from some college kid. I don't want any of that crap. Just get me a read with an industry pro, if you think it's good enough. In the meantime, I'll keep writing.

Comment

Working...
                                X