No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Horror Movies

Originally posted by Vango View Post
    I am somewhat envious. I appreciate anything that gets me feeling something, no matter the feeling. I have had a couple of near death (inches away) experiences, and for some odd reason, it's not fear that I feel, but rather a sense of adrenaline and the curiosity of "will I overcome this?"

In summary, I would love to see a strange beast squatting in a tree in the night watching me from outside my window. Am I weird?
    I can think of real horror things and they have nothing to do with slashers etc. They are all based on real life. Movies like THE FIRM and PRISONERS are more scary to me than horror movies -- because they could happen...

Anyway -- that is interesting Vango and yes you are a weirdo! And by that I mean a writer.

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
      Anyway -- that is interesting Vango and yes you are a weirdo! And by that I mean a writer.
      Pretty sure that's the best compliment a writer can EVER receive.
      Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

Comment

Just watched new CHILD'S PLAY reboot which I enjoyed -- acting was very good. I love the first movie and series -- but what it did better than almost any reboot I can think of (recently) is that I did not even think of the old movie during it. Obviously they have similar things, but it was so different (in a good way) that I enjoyed it for it's own thing. They could have made it w/o the title honestly -- just do an homage and rename some things.

Comment

Just watched new CHILD'S PLAY reboot which I enjoyed -- acting was very good. I love the first movie and series -- but what it did better than almost any reboot I can think of (recently) is that I did not even think of the old movie during it. Obviously they have similar things, but it was so different (in a good way) that I enjoyed it for it's own thing. They could have made it w/o the title honestly -- just do an homage and rename some things.
          I have some down time tonight. Will give this a watch. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Vango View Post
            I have some down time tonight. Will give this a watch. Thanks.
            It's mostly a comedy in my eyes, FYI!

Comment

It's mostly a comedy in my eyes, FYI!
              You're right! Was pretty funny! I thought they did a really good job with the actual doll. Acting was strong too like you said. Decent movie overall!

Comment

It was fun.

But to be clear CHILD'S PLAY 1988 is one of my favorite horror movies. I saw it in theater with my dad and this is before everything was ruined, I didn't know doll came to life. Like I assumed it would be implied or bad effects -- but when Chuck (with amazing voice acting by Brad Dourif) came to life and starting swearing -- well we LAUGHED OUR ASSSES off. It was funny and scary.

New one was just funny to me and timely.

I love horror!!!!!!!

Comment

Big horror fan. Nothing good since the 80s, really, save for the Dawn and Texas remakes in the early 2000s.
                  M.A.G.A.

Comment

It Follows and Hereditary.

Best horror pics since the Ring.
                    #writinginaStarbucks #re-thinkingmyexistence #notanotherweaklogline #thinkingwhatwouldWilldo

Comment

Originally posted by Ire View Post
                      It Follows...

Best horror pics since the Ring.
                      I'd heard about IF but hadn't seen it, so dug it up tonight based on your recommendation. Thanks! Nothing that freaked me out as much as Samara climbing out of the well, but pretty good, and certainly not bad for a $2M budget. The camera was always moving, but since the whole movie was like that, I guess it was intended to be a moving p.o.v. or some such to keep us a bit off-kilter. I also liked that it went from fairly straight-forward linear in the first hour, to a bit more surrealistic and ambiguous in the last half hour.

I wouldn't want to see a sequel if all it does is change the setting and follow the same pattern, though. 8/10, with kudos to the writer/director.

Comment

Originally posted by catcon View Post
                        Nothing that freaked me out as much as Samara climbing out of the well.
                        Ditto! As for the scene in the sequel of her inside the well and climbing up - pure nightmare fuel.
                        M.A.G.A.

Comment

We shouldn't forget some of the golden oldies, to which so many new horror movies owe so much.

Here's a few that are worth an annual re-watching. In fact, they show you how you might write a low-budget script since they didn't waste millions (because they didn't have any) on CGI (because they didn't have any). In fact, I bet Blum et al admit to owing a lot to these sort of "fear of what you don't see" types of flicks:

Night of the Demon (1957)
                          Cat People (1942)

And speaking of end-of-worlders (though not a pandemic movie):

Panic in the Year Zero (1962), showing how society breaks apart.

Not to mention the original:

Night of the Living Dead (1968)

Most or many of these are available on YouTube.

Comment

Working...
                          X