Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fast Question

My partner and I were approached by our former manager (we currently are un-repped) to do a paid adaptation for one of his book clients. I'm going to have a lawyer review any contracts, but I have one question: We are asking for 12 weeks to write a first draft. I would like to provide one round of rewrites and one "polish- in the original fee. How much additional time do you ask be included for a rewrite and a "polish?- Now the hard question, how much of the script do you agree to change in the rewrite or "polish?-

Thanks,

JD

Re: Fast Question

4 weeks.
    "The most terrifying thing is to accept oneself completely." ~Jung

Comment

Whatever the buyer wants... lol. If it is a page 1 rewrite you can add language that extends the time-- I suggest 4 weeks for rewrite and 2 weeks for polish. That should work.
      "The most terrifying thing is to accept oneself completely." ~Jung

Comment

With book adaptations, I would recommend the wga treatment model. This ensures about a 40% payment before you commence first draft. It also allows for early notes on the treatment which can result in less notes/needs for rewrites after draft is complete.

Is it the publisher paying on the writer? Far far trickier if it is the author.
        "Take the thing you love, and make it your life"--Californication. [email protected]

Comment

I thought about saying I'll change a reasonable amount of the script in the rewrite or polish. I've done that before for video production, but who's to say what's reasonable? The timeframe I get, 4 weeks, then 2, but I can't figure out how much to agree to change. Since I wanted to do it all for one price, I don't want to work on changing the whole thing after the fact. The author is paying to get a stalled project back out there. It's sorta of favor for a friend.

Thanks,

JD

Comment

I just checked one of my contracts. Looks like a standard time frame is:

First draft - 12 weeks

Rewrite - 8 weeks

Polish - 4 weeks

I think that's practically boilerplate, so you should feel free to ask for that.

Comment

Working...
            X